Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

EDI - Domestic to International Transfer Time

Old May 29, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time worried poster!

My Partner and I recently pounced on some the cheap Norwegian tickets out to NY (Stewart International) in September departing from EDI. However in our excited haste I believe I slight error might have occurred.

We've used some spare Avios to book ourselves on the 02/09/17 09:15 from LHR, arriving EDI at 10:40. Our Norwegian Flight departs at 17:15 same day, am I being extremely optimistic thinking we've got enough time to transfer? (We will have checked luggage)

Mods, please feel free to move to relevant section but thought as many UK FT's will be familiar with transfer time's from BA flights this would be the best place to start.

Cheers
Bonzo
Old May 29, 2017, 10:01 am

Well, the good news is that when arriving domestically in Edinburgh, you'll be kicked out in the departures hall, so you can just walk over to the right gate.

I have no idea, though, if this causes a problem with USA flights. If you have to go landside, and need to go back in a hurry, just buy a 5 fast track voucher
Old May 29, 2017, 10:09 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Bonzo_7
arriving EDI at 10:40

Our Norwegian Flight departs at 17:15 same day
You have 6 hours

The most likely scenario is that you will be at the Norwegian departure gate by 10:40 (if they even know which gate it's going to be).
Old May 29, 2017, 10:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
You have 6.5 hours, nothing to worry about unless you are delayed 5 hours.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:11 am

You arrive 10:40 then you will head through arrivals and collect your baggage at the baggage reclaim. I expect you will then have a few hours before the checkin opens for your Norwegian flight before you can drop the bags off and head through to departures
Old May 29, 2017, 10:13 am

Welcome to Flyertalk, Bonzo_7 - it's good to have you here.

Now unless there's a typo in your post, or my maths is somehow off, that looks to me like you have 6h35m to transfer.

That is more than enough!

You will hopefully have your bags within 30mins after landing, almost certainly within an hour. You then simply stroll round to the Norwegian check-in desks and you'll be all set. [ETA: as noted above you may well have to wait a while until Norwegian checkin opens]

Even if you're several hours delayed, you should make it. The risk you have is if your flight is cancelled. Keep an eye on the weather if it looks like it might be a dodgy day, or if there's any sign of major disruption come back here to seek advice. To be prudent, check the night before if there are avios seats on other services to EDI in the morning, just in case you need to book a last minute rescue flight.

Last edited by Ldnn1; May 29, 2017 at 10:22 am
Old May 29, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

Appreciate it's a relatively trivial question, but your response's have put my mind to rest. Thanks guys.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

Appreciate it's a relatively trivial question, but your response's have put my mind to rest. Thanks guys.
and welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board Bonzo_7 ^

EDI is my home airport and as others have stated there is plenty of time to get your bags and re-check them but I'm not sure of the check in times for the Norwegian desks, probably T-3 hours.

However, nearly 7 hours is a long time to wait and even time to consider leaving your bags in left luggage at EDI, pop into Edinburgh for brunch/early lunch a walk about using the 100 Airport bus which are very efficient and every 15 minutes. It's 30 minutes into Princes Street/Waverley Bridge.

They're to the left as you leave the main building.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Plea th of thme (perhaps too much), I'd be tempted to change to a plus fare rather than using Avios and then have an option for a same day flight change.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
Plea th of thme (perhaps too much), I'd be tempted to change to a plus fare rather than using Avios and then have an option for a same day flight change.
Why would Plus fare help here? OP is connecting TO the Norwegian flight, not FROM it.

Plus fare could possibly help if there are delays on the day and OP needs to change, but realistically it's unlikely OP would know that was necessary more than 1 hr before departure.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Think we'll take it one step at a time but thanks for the idea PETER01. Glad I posted now!
Old May 29, 2017, 2:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Think we'll take it one step at a time but thanks for the idea PETER01. Glad I posted now!
New members are always very welcome here, as they should be and we all were once so feel free to contribute.

I forgot to add if you haven't already done so the following may be useful to you but if you need any advice you've certainly come to the right place so ANY questions you may have please just fire away!

The BA Forum Dashboard

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.