Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Up Yours BA

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 12:33 am

I'm not quite sure why compensation seems to be a dirty word anyway. By its very nature, it is an attempt to make amends for a wrongdoing. Personally I think that's OK. I'm not so comfortable with it where it is excessive, or for very minor matters, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Banana4321
I bought shares a year ago. They have performed fantastically.
You should have sold them on Friday

Airlines are notorious for losing money in the long term and they are very susceptible to sudden shifts in value - usually caused by external buffeting such as sudden oil price hikes, 9/11, stock market crashes, economic downturn, volcanic ash, war etc etc

Here we have a PR disaster of their own making.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Depending on the severity of the dip tomorrow it will probably be an excellent buy-in opportunity :-)

Short terrm sentiment will be shaken by the IT fiasco but I am prepared to bet that confidence in IAG's fundamentals will quickly return.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am not implying anything other than he wants to be compensated - which you are stating is what he wants.

If he wants compensation for the cost of the purchase of other flights, my suggestion is to write into customer service with details of expense incurred rather than deal with it over the phone
that's sounds like a measure of sophistry

Lufthansa's been through quite similar disruptions, caused by strikes.

The German carrier handled with my DUB FRA MEX travel disruption by replacing M&M award tickets for my family with full fare business-class tickets on BA through LHR. No prompting: they simply came up with that as a solution.

True, LH had warning and could implement crisis plans to deal with consequences, while poor BA had no warning - and ineffective, or non-existent, plans to deal with the crisis.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
that's sounds like a measure of sophistry
What? There was nothing at all that was intended to deceive nor was the use false

What the person wanted was compensation due to the flight issue.

That some here think that it is clever to try using weasel words such as "service recovery" so as to appear to be superior by not claiming compensation , does not stop it being compensation
Old May 29, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
What? There was nothing at all that was intended to deceive nor was the use false

What the person wanted was compensation due to the flight issue.

That some here think that it is clever to try using weasel words such as "service recovery" so as to appear to be superior by not claiming compensation , does not stop it being compensation
What the OP wanted was for BA to rebook him on other carriers so that he could get to his destination when BA could not get him there.

He is now out of pocket because he bought tickets himself instead of BA rebooking him via other carriers.

Service recovery as in fixing things so that the OP can get to his destination. BA coudn't do it so he's now out of pocket.

The OP doesn't mention compensation. In fact when you bring it up a couple of posts later, the OP states

Absolutely not interested in compensation,it's a question of principal and integrity which sadly is now missing with BA

I find it totally reprehensible tha BA did not rebook as many passengers as possible onto other carriers to get them out of this mess of BA's making.
Old May 29, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by HilFly
I find it totally reprehensible tha BA did not rebook as many passengers as possible onto other carriers to get them out of this mess of BA's making.
Absolutely, nail/head/hit etc. ^
Old May 29, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
That the IT was outsourced does not imply that the problem would not have occurred if it was still insourced

it depends on what the problem was
Exactly, while I'm a critic of their unreliable IT generally and cost cutting on service recovery generally, there's no evidence this was a result of that. Power (the cause it's being blamed on) is actually quite hard to make 100% reliable and ridiculously edge case failure scenarios can come back and bite you. I've seen it at far from budget IT operations and it's been seen at Delta a while back too (an org whose engineering generally is well regarded by all accounts)
Old May 29, 2017, 3:02 am

That the IT was outsourced does not imply that the problem would not have occurred if it was still insourced

it depends on what the problem was
No, the problem itself may have occurred whether insourced or outsourced.

What I'm certain is down to the outsourcing is how clueless they seem to be in getting things back up again.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by 1010101
No, the problem itself may have occurred whether insourced or outsourced.

What I'm certain is down to the outsourcing is how clueless they seem to be in getting things back up again.
Absolutely spot on!!! BA had a team on 24x7 troubleshooters labelled the coverage team. They were made up guys with years and years of experience fixing operational issues at BA. They were outsourced last year.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
It would seem that the ranks of BA apologists are declining and have been declining over the past several years.

Let's face it five or ten years ago, BA was one of the handful of world class airlines. Since then there has been a steady decline in the product (today's BA Business class is but a shadow of what it was in the past), along with the service (largely a function of bottom line management of a labour force which increasingly is demotivated when taking care of customers). There are exceptions here regarding customer service -- but the sense is that "why should I compensate for an airline which no longer is 'special' in any way".

Add to that the serial systems failures -- likely a function of bottom line cost cutting as much as anything -- AND the effort to cut cost exposure for non-performance (unwilingness to rebook on functioning airlines as an example), and it should be seriously obvious that BA is no longer "World Class" -- not even close.

One further senses that their powers running BA -- DO NOT CARE about this fall from grace and won't care until they see it in their knickers as the bottom line deteriorates -- when higher paying customers seek alternatives. Further I suspect BREXIT is also going to encourage business flyers to alternative paths to and from Europe to the US, Asia and the Middle East.

Frankly, I've no faith that BA will turn things around and in future will seek alternative routing from the US to European cities, routing which EXCLUDES the UK.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by bioblot
IAG shares have seriously underperformed the market. They are up 12.76% in the last 12 months. Due to growth and currency movements the FTSE 100 is up 25.3%, and even that is pretty poor as far as stock market indices go. IAG was also also one of the worst performing shares of 2016 - you'd have been better off sticking your cash in just about any passive tracker fund and would have made more gains nine times out of ten by picking another stock using a roulette wheel.^
Originally Posted by EuropeToAsia
If you bought them exactly a year ago in May, I wouldn't consider the performance stellar. If you snapped them up after the mini crash last July, good on you.

​​​​​​https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/IAG:LN

​​​​​​​Let's see how they perform this week.
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
You should have sold them on Friday

Airlines are notorious for losing money in the long term and they are very susceptible to sudden shifts in value - usually caused by external buffeting such as sudden oil price hikes, 9/11, stock market crashes, economic downturn, volcanic ash, war etc etc

Here we have a PR disaster of their own making.
Originally Posted by dca100
Depending on the severity of the dip tomorrow it will probably be an excellent buy-in opportunity :-)

Short terrm sentiment will be shaken by the IT fiasco but I am prepared to bet that confidence in IAG's fundamentals will quickly return.

Thank you all for your concern

Just checked and bought at 395p

Will keep an eye on it tomorrow, but I don't expect any blips. Luckily for BA this all happened in a period when the market was closed.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:30 am

I am not implying anything other than he wants to be compensated - which you are stating is what he wants.

If he wants compensation for the cost of the purchase of other flights, my suggestion is to write into customer service with details of expense incurred rather than deal with it over the phone
Wouldn't that be reimbursement?
Old May 29, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I find this whole "never going to fly BA again" a bit on the drama side. BA is by far not my favourite airline, and certainly there are better (and frequently cheaper) options on many routes. At the same time, they have a pretty good schedule and non-stop routes from London - that is an enormous benefit.

I'll continue to make my choices based on price and convenience, and being based in London that makes BA a pretty decent option - even if the product isn't that great.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: Meh
I am impressed 12k spend gets CCR. I scrape Gold spending this annually.

Anyway, get out there and use other airlines, there are way better options.

I feel the last few days may be the final straw for many.

I plan to cancel two BA CW trips to the USA/Canada today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.