Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • £25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • £200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • £50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by suntravler
Thanks CIHY.

Do you think there's any way to save my future flights if I don't make the first leg?
I'm not an expert on these things but I think the answer is yes, someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A friend just reported from the complete cluster bomb at T5. They've been told all flights cancelled for the rest of the day, no one has any clues when systems will be up again. No information given about rebooking or rescheduling. One agent told him he's better off going home and checking the website tomorrow morning. What a complete disaster at the start of half term.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
My brother and his family are on BA164 TLV-LHR and are pushing back. That's approx (only) 2 hour delay. Apparently the captain told them this is the first flight out since the outage.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Well we have just received a message at 16.27 saying to continue to report for flights departing after 18.00.
Joined up thinking there!
Old May 27, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
Well we have just received a message at 16.27 saying to continue to report for flights departing after 18.00.
BA really have not been impressive today. Lousy communications, mixed messages and no visibility from senior management. I appreciate a severe IT failure is difficult to deal with but they really have not helped themselves. The GGL line said their systems went down at 0800 this morning, over eight hours ago now!
Old May 27, 2017, 9:37 am

Perhaps chance they'll try run empty flights out to try bring the schedule back on track quicker once systems come back online?
Old May 27, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
[...]Not departed:
BA 712 (ZRH), 9:25
BA 346 (NCE), 9:40
BA 876 (IST), 10:20
BA 65 (NBO), 10:30
[...]
AFAIK, BA346 did depart, albeit 2 hrs late, and landed in NCE at 14:26 (instead of 12:45).

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
What should I do?

18:15 Avios flight to ABZ but they're saying everything cancelled.
Couple of cash flights tomorrow from ABZ that I'm now not going to make.

Since they're saying leave the airport, I can easily book a train home tonight reasonably cheaply if I do it soon.
No idea how long it will take to leave though.

If I don't turn up tomorrow (already checked in), what happens? Can I claim anything?

I'm theoretically on BA85, using a CX redemption, 160 ticket code. Am I right that basically I need to contact CX, not BA to sort a re-schedule?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Where is Cruz or Walsh? Press statement? Appalling airline. Yes, it happens and is out of their control but they could do so much better via comms channels. Managers in hiding.
I agree that AC should have made an appearance and said something even if it wasn't the apology/answers most would be wanting. My work contact apparently got a room straight after I said what was happening because she didn't believe 6pm was realistic.

So far we can only use flight aware and other trackers. I can't even access our own systems to see if my aircraft has left
Old May 27, 2017, 9:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Confirmed on BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-40069977

BREAKING: British Airways cancels all flights for the rest of the day
Posted at

16:32
BA says all flights scheduled to depart Heathrow and Gatwick airports on May 27th are now cancelled.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I wonder what the odds are on this bankrupting BA. This is going to cost tens of millions. The knock on effects worldwide are going to be astronomical! If I had shares I'd be dumping them now
Old May 27, 2017, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by kaizenflying
Where is Cruz or Walsh? Press statement? Appalling airline. Yes, it happens and is out of their control but they could do so much better via comms channels. Managers in hiding.
Agreed, Why not make an appearance on BBC at T5. SHOCKING behaviour from executive management.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
At what stage should I be looking into booking a hotel for JFK tonight? Should I wait to see if some acft will position out? It's the 182.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.