Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • £25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • £200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • £50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG PLATINUM ELITE MARRIOTT GOLD SPG GOLD
Compensation experience

i have already had my claim for compensation dealt with . My wife and I were enroute from The USA via Heathrow and then gatwick to my home in Europe. First to Heathrow, club onwards.

i ended up in a hotel in London. BA have promised to reimburse all my out of pocket expenses which came to less than £300 and to give me compensation of 250 euros each as it was only my short haul flight that was delayed, my long haul arrived on time.

Nothing above and beyond that will be offered. I assume they are correct that it is the 250 sum I am entitled to and not the 600?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Luangprabang1
Nothing above and beyond that will be offered. I assume they are correct that it is the 250 sum I am entitled to and not the 600?
Welcome to Flyertalk Luangprabang1. It's good to see you here, and despite the bad experience that led to your arrival in this forum, I hope we will see more of you here.

This seems all correct. If travelling from longhaul to shorthaul, airlines generally only give shorthaul compensation if it was that flight alone that was affected. This is a vexed question, best explored in the EC261 thread linked above, and certainly open to challenge by anyone prepared to take it to a senior court. However for many years this is what BA and all other airlines do. I am glad that the other parts of your claim have been met, hopefully swiftly. 250€ seems correct, depending on where in Europe you went.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG PLATINUM ELITE MARRIOTT GOLD SPG GOLD

Many thanks CWS, as ever this is a very helpful reply. I realise this is not the place to insert a litany of the issues faced by passengers but all I would add is that if any customers think they are going to get over and above their expenses and the eu compensation then they are going to be disappointed. Personally I would not waste time on it if I were them. I certainly will not be trying to convince them that 250 is the wrong amount.

Thanks again
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just for the benefit of anyone watching or Subscribed to this thread:

BA seem to be offering status renewals for those BAEC customers caught up in the Bank Holiday incident. More details in this specific thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...two-years.html
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by izzik
So, to be clear, there are at least 3 forms to complete:

disruptionclaim.britishairways.com is for reimbursing hotel, airport transfers, and food
baggageclaim.britishairways.com is for reimbursing essential items purchased b/c baggage wasn't available
Delayed Baggage form is for getting the checked bag shipped back via courier

Anything else?
Originally Posted by dakaix
Yes, and file a request via the link below stating ‘I’d like to claim EU261 compensation’.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...N_PHG_ALWAYSON

If we have the three claims (disruption: hotels & food, baggage: new clothes, EU: delayed flight arrival), is it the consensus to fill out three forms separately, or is there a way to do it all in one?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by UAworldwide
If we have the three claims (disruption: hotels & food, baggage: new clothes, EU: delayed flight arrival), is it the consensus to fill out three forms separately, or is there a way to do it all in one?
You can fill in a general complaint form on the web (via the Contact Us link on your BAEC login if you have one), put all the details into one message (concisely). It will then generate an automatic reference number and email you back, usually with an hour's delay for some reason. Then after a few days you can call the Contact Centre Customer Relations during UK office hours, quote the reference, and they may be able to push through compensation within a day or two, if it's straightforward.

If you don't want to call, I suspect you best fill in the three forms and cross-reference them all, since I suspect you'll get the money within a week or two from what I can make out. The bit which is going to be slow is if there is a partial refund due on a complex ticket. So if anyone has that on their claim, I would split that off since that will take a few weeks, whereas the rest should be paid more quickly.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Just posting my experience so far.

Completed a disruption claim for myself+traveling companion (we were booked together) for hotel, LGW train tix, our 1-way Vueling tix (unable to get BA to rebook), and 1 cheap meal at Pret.

Result: 200GBP of 210GBP hotel charge reimb + all meal and LGW train expenses reimbed. Vueling tix is another matter -- BA agreed to refund VY tix MINUS the refund from our canceled BA segment (LHR-CDG), once we provided proof of refund amt. However, as we purchased it from Orbitz, BA wants Orbitz to initiate the refund. Orbitz ended up calling BA to determine refund amount (which will take up to 6 weeks?!?), meaning we cannot provide the amt to BA... it's like running back and forth - I hope BA is willing to see the madness of this and perhaps determine the net refund due on their own, as opposed to having us chase it around.

Completed a separate Delayed Baggage claim form (one claim per person) with receipts for clothing, shoes, luggage replacement, and misc pharmacy items.

Result: I received a response within 48 hrs - full reimbursement. I only spent 300 GBP.
My companion has not received a response yet. Similar reimb amt for him. I have Gold status; he is a Blue mbr.

Both checked bags have been couriered back to us successfully.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I finally received a refund to my CC for my canceled flight from the IT disruption weekend.

BA refuses to compensate the booking I made on an alternate carrier on the basis that the cost was less than the refund for my canceled flight. Nevermind that I'd hope so, given I was booked in CE and rebooked on an LCC (or should we say, an LCC that actually calls itself an LCC). BA also refused my request for compensation of my actual ground transportation costs and/or half my return HEX ticket that I could not use (alternate carrier could only take me to LGW, not LHR as was my original destination on BA).

Honestly at this point, I'm not looking for reimbursement so much as I'd like to feel like anyone at BA cares - but it doesn't appear that I'm going to get anyone there to throw me a bone.

On a side note, I still have not filed for EC/261 compensation. As I mentioned previously in this thread, my rebooked flight was also canceled; am I thus actually eligible for two EC/261 claims? I'm unsure if I was actually ever confirmed on the rebooked flight, although I did receive an e-mail informing me that the rebooked flight was canceled. After the rebooked flight was canceled, I was not offered any automated rebooking option (and I was not able to select any alternatives through the website as it kept returning errors), so I don't know how the EC/261 timeframes would apply even if so. Apologies if this is better suited for the 2017 EC/261 thread - I'll edit this out and repost there if so.

Last edited by gengar; Jun 12, 2017 at 1:48 am
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by gengar
I finally received a refund to my CC for my canceled flight from the IT disruption weekend.
From what I can tell, the fact that BA haven't refunded the LCC fare is probably the right outcome: where they have refunded alternative arrangements then it's on the basis of paying the incremental difference between the BA fare and the late purchased fare. This is in line with EC261, in the sense that it is BA's job to deal with a rebooking, and there is a compensatory aspect to that, it's a logistics arrangement.

The LHR/LGW travel cost is not unusual for BA, but dodgy in EC261 terms, and they really should pay the £10 to £30 cost of this.

For the double cancellation, you may want to review some of the comments upthread. My view is that strictly speaking, if properly ticketed, it's two amounts of compensation. However BA will probably work on the basis that it is a single delay event and therefore pay only the one amount. So you'll get the one compensation amount fairly quickly, you may need to do some legwork to get a second payment.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:07 pm

2nd update:

After receiving confirmation of actual refund amt from Orbitz, BA came back and confirmed a refund of the difference between Vueling flights and BA flights.

Also received EC261 comp of 250 Euros/person. Needed written confirmation from 2nd person to receive funds into my account.

Asked for status of traveling partner's baggage claim (he had blue status at the time of travel, now Silver). They had a canned answer, no news yet.

So, in total, we received reimbursement for everything I filed a claim on. Waiting for my partner's baggage claim to clear, then we're done with all of this.

When I received the couriered luggage, turns out everything was damp/wet inside with spots of mold/mildew. Not sure what happened but I did not want to pursue yet another claim. Thankfully, everything cleaned out in the laundry.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond; BA Gold
Update from me:

I was held on the tarmac for 6+ hours on arriving to LHR from Seoul. Eventually sent to T4 to disembark and told leave airport without bags.

I claimed (2 separate claims) on the 31st May for:
- essentials I had to buy totalling just under £100.
- max EU compensation (€600 I think)

Received confirmation I would be reimbursed the essential spend on 9th June (yet to be paid).

No word received on compensation yet...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:57 am

Minor update on baggage essential reimbursement claim:

My partner's claim continues to be unanswered, although it's probably because his status was blue at the time of claim filing (it's now Silver). Per the agent on the Gold line, they are processing claims by elite status.

Unfortunately, the Customer Relations phone lines are not answering at all. You get a recorded message saying that everything is busy. Calling the Silver line, he was hung up on by a live agent 4 times! This really means Gold status has value...!

Sometimes I wonder if I should have filed for all of the baggage essentials reimbursement under my account. Lesson learned, perhaps.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: Ba
Advice on compensation offered for baggage

can I have some advice please? I have been offered £350 for baggage claim settlement for the May disruption event. There were 5 of us. We spent more like £700 which is all receipted. I don't get why they think 70 per person to cover clothes toiletries etc is reasonable when our baggage was not returned to us for a week. We spent 3 days in London trying to get rebooked. Then returned to north and waited a further 4 days to get our luggage back. Can I refuse offer and ask for something closer to the value we spent ? I am ok with the amount they offered for food and expenses as that seems reasonable although again not covering the total I can accept it as reasonable, It is the total of 350 for a family of 5 that I am finding an issue with to buy us basics to wear. I had to buy shoes for my little girl as she only had a sun dress and sandals and there was a torrential storm in Surrey on the Sunday, I put all this in a letter to explain the receipts.

thanks
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Sofa
can I have some advice please? I have been offered £350 for baggage claim settlement for the May disruption event. There were 5 of us. We spent more like £700 which is all receipted. I don't get why they think 70 per person to cover clothes toiletries etc is reasonable when our baggage was not returned to us for a week. We spent 3 days in London trying to get rebooked. Then returned to north and waited a further 4 days to get our luggage back. Can I refuse offer and ask for something closer to the value we spent ? I am ok with the amount they offered for food and expenses as that seems reasonable although again not covering the total I can accept it as reasonable, It is the total of 350 for a family of 5 that I am finding an issue with to buy us basics to wear. I had to buy shoes for my little girl as she only had a sun dress and sandals and there was a torrential storm in Surrey on the Sunday, I put all this in a letter to explain the receipts.

thanks
I would respond, rejecting the offer for both food and clothes and explaining why you are doing so. EC261 does not set amounts for food btw - you are entitled to claim your costs regardless of any guidelines BA gives.

Provided you are being reasonable (ie you bought at M&S not Harrods) then BA should pay. In this respect I would have said £70 per person is reasonable for 3 days but BA's expectation would be if you returned home after that you would have had access to your own stuff even if bags were missing.

If BA rejects the claim again I would then head to MCOL and claim the full amount.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Sofa
. Can I refuse offer and ask for something closer to the value we spent ?
I would agree with simons1 that you are certainly at liberty to negotiate a better outcome. BA tends to do this to larger claims, so by all means reflect on whether you think you are being reasonable here. If you have insurance this is the point at which you ask the insurers to cover the rest - they may well pursue BA if necessary. If you don't have insurance then either CEDR or MCOL would be a way forward if you can't reach an agreement with BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.