Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • Ł25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • Ł200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • Ł50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks CWS, really appreciate your swift guidance.

As an aside, I was due today to go and buy clothes to cover me for the rest of the trip. Presumably I should now only buy clothes for today and tomorrow now that it looks like my bags are arriving to avoid BA rejecting my claim for expenses?
Old May 30, 2017, 6:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dilpat84
Thanks CWS, really appreciate your swift guidance.

As an aside, I was due today to go and buy clothes to cover me for the rest of the trip. Presumably I should now only buy clothes for today and tomorrow now that it looks like my bags are arriving to avoid BA rejecting my claim for expenses?
Well in the circumstances I would suggest keeping to the minimum you need right now, yes. I've not come across someone having their expenses declined due to the unexpected delivery of delayed baggage, there again we probably do want to incentivise BA to act quickly. If it is on that flight (a big if) then the very earliest it could be delivered is late tonight (even less plausible), so having clothing to last until the middle of tomorrow strikes me as sensible.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would suggest keeping your world tracer details updated with where you want the bag to go. I have had a bag follow me around Europe before; it happens, it isn't "one attempted delivery and we destroy the bag".
Old May 30, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Hi - did a search of this thread, but with 78 pages, didn't find the answer (apologies if already answered). I thought I'd leave it a couple of days and hope the phone lines, etc had calmed down.

Question - how do I actually apply to get a refund for my cancelled flight?
At ABZ airport the BA rep (agency staff, I think) said "apply online", the email from BA says "apply via BA.com" and when I phone the blue line the recorded message says "we cannot help you with refunds, please visit our website".

OK, sure, I am happy to do it online, but where on BA.com do I click? When I go to manage my booking, and input my locator, it says "Sorry, we are unable to display your booking as all the flights have been flown." Where's the page or link to "apply for a refund".

(I already have the link for compensation and claiming hotel, etc. but there's nothing on that page for getting original flight refund).
Old May 30, 2017, 8:20 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Cool username
I think the best way will be through Customer Service, via the Contact options.
Note that the normal route is via MMB and if this does not work, via phone according to BA:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-de...refund-options
Old May 30, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC
OLCI not working!

I've had the "Internal Server Error - Read" message. Once past this after trying a few times, if I use the MMB (without logging in) I am told "Sorry, we are unable to offer you Online Check-in for this flight on this occasion." If I log into my BAEC account, I am taken to the page to select number of checked bags but receive "Error- Please provide us with more information:- Permission check box (mandatory).", there is no check box to check.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:37 am

Colleague unable to check in trying on and off for the last hour. Message is:
Sorry, we are unable to offer you Online Check-in for this flight on this occasion.

To check in and receive your boarding pass, please contact the operating carrier at the airport.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by varkey
OLCI not working!

I've had the "Internal Server Error - Read" message. Once past this after trying a few times, if I use the MMB (without logging in) I am told "Sorry, we are unable to offer you Online Check-in for this flight on this occasion." If I log into my BAEC account, I am taken to the page to select number of checked bags but receive "Error- Please provide us with more information:- Permission check box (mandatory).", there is no check box to check.
Site has been buggy today, well even more so than usual. Lots of errors left right centre, was going to book a flight and couldn't.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I put in a claim for my cancelled flight on Saturday, and then having to buy a train ticket home, some food and parking.
Also mentioned the fact I couldn't get to the following day's flights.

They've refunded all my flights but refused the train fare home. No mention of anything else.
The email seems to imply that they are bending the rules with regards to my non-cancelled flights possibly as I'm GGL.

Not sure if a second email is connected with this or EU261 as it doesn't quite say but it does have a different case number.

Last edited by xenole; May 30, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Old May 30, 2017, 4:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

So, to be clear, there are at least 3 forms to complete:

disruptionclaim.britishairways.com is for reimbursing hotel, airport transfers, and food
baggageclaim.britishairways.com is for reimbursing essential items purchased b/c baggage wasn't available
Delayed Baggage form is for getting the checked bag shipped back via courier

Anything else?
Old May 30, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by izzik
So, to be clear, there are at least 3 forms to complete:

disruptionclaim.britishairways.com is for reimbursing hotel, airport transfers, and food
baggageclaim.britishairways.com is for reimbursing essential items purchased b/c baggage wasn't available
Delayed Baggage form is for getting the checked bag shipped back via courier

Anything else?
Yes, and file a request via the link below stating ‘I’d like to claim EU261 compensation’.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...N_PHG_ALWAYSON
Old May 31, 2017, 7:15 am

Finally arrived in SFO 24 hours later than expected, without the two bags I'd checked in on 27th May. Filled in a missing baggage form online and indicated that I'd like them to be delivered to my home address in London when found (as my trip to SFO is only five days long).

Cut to this morning when I receive a text saying 'Your bags have been found and will fly out on today's BA287 to SFO'. Is there a way to stop this and have them follow my initial instructions? Also, interestingly, when logging into the baggage tracker, my bags are still marked in red and as 'we are locating your baggage', but further down the update again shows that they're going to be put on today's BA287.
Oh joy. My bags appear to be at SFO. Except I've now received an update saying they're on the next flight back to London. \o/
Old May 31, 2017, 7:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Oh joy. My bags appear to be at SFO. Except I've now received an update saying they're on the next flight back to London. \o/
Did you remove the UK address as advised earlier? If so then that's really bad.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:10 am

For anyone wondering about luggage, here's what happened to us.

Arrived at LHR on 27 May from Madrid and spent about four hours on the tarmac before getting out. At baggage claim we were told that no way would we get our luggage and that we should go home and report the bags as delayed online.

The online form didn't work (don't know whether it was because of the system issues or rather because we had IB coded bag references). Spent about two hours on the phone and got the report done on Sunday.

On Monday 29 May both bags were found (at different times), one was delivered at 2am on Tuesday night, the other on Tuesday morning. We're both BAEC Golds if that makes any difference.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Did you remove the UK address as advised earlier? If so then that's really bad.
I must admit, I didn't, only because they were still showing up as red and 'we're trying to locate your bags' (despite the texts/emails) and I didn't want to risk the chance of them potentially still being in the UK, only to be shipped over to SFO when I changed the address (given that I'd originally asked for them to be sent to my home address in London). Though I can see why this may have caused them to be sent right back. Was caught between a rock and hard place.

Looks like I'm off to GAP again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.