Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Security "If you don't remove liquids you may have to wait 40 minutes"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security "If you don't remove liquids you may have to wait 40 minutes"

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 3:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by damon88
On our last BA flight in February from AMS-LHR-SAN we had a tighter connection than usual through LHR. So of course we were sent through secondary for --- my terribly dangerous electric toothbrush. Despite my trying to be pleasant and patient, the agent was extremely aggressive and rude and made me demonstrate the toothbrush. By the time we got to the kiosk it automatically rejected us for time and would not allow us through. I was about to start crying when an awesome BA agent swooped in, made some calls and then manually overrode the system to allow us through. We ran through the airport like crazy people and made it onto the plane with about a minute to spare. I have vowed in the future to never subject myself to tight connections at LHR again.
Security is after conformance is it not?
Old May 28, 2017, 4:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Security is after conformance is it not?
It is, I suspect #damon88 is referring to the gate and her flight had closed by the time she arrived.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
TSA is a *US* screening agency, they would not operate anywhere outside the US. US immigration pre-screening which is entirely different for immigration does run in other countries. If you are referring to TSA PreCheck it's a US program only, foreign airlines can join for their passengers to utilize as approved by the TSA for flights departing the US only where Pre Check is available (e.g. Lufthansa does this, British Airways DOESN'T)
Obviously no precheck at LHR - it didn't stop AA giving me a bp with it printed on ex LHR!
I nearly always get a secondary - every time it's for something different. Last one was empty water bottle overlaying some facial cleansing wipes. The security guy was pleasant and when I asked explained what the image looked like on the screen.
It seems I am on a never ending learning curve with security- at least I can eliminate each problem and maybe one day I will not get secondary
Old May 28, 2017, 4:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
What warning is this? I'll confess to never taking my liquids out of my bag, or even having them in a clear plastic bag.

I did go through T5 First security on Thursday. I had my bag opened and the guy went through my entire wash bag and put all pastes, liquid an gels in a plastic bag. It was fast and the guy could not have been nicer. I was on my way after about 5 minutes.

I'll know for next time I go through LHR but the 'liquids out of your bag' thing is far from an international standard so I probably still won't bother anywhere else I go.
Maybe just do the rest of us a favour and bag your liquids so that you don't hold up others.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Class is such a big part of the whole relationship between airport/airline staff and passengers and why they're often so toxic. The former tend to be blue collar and may have mannerisms that more well-heeled customers may not be familiar with and find to be very rude or disrespectful.
There is something to this, but when I examine how the LHR security staff manage to consistently get on my bad side, I can't help thinking of all the equally "blue collar" folks that I interact with on a journey.

The taxi driver is friendly, as is the check in staff, as is the person who makes me my coffee, as is the person who takes my bag at the hotel, etc etc etc. The class divide *can* be overcome when things are set up well so that I'm not in a position where I have to assert that I'm in a hurry (and come off as a privileged jerk), and they're not in a position where they end up feeling pushed around and resentful.

Honestly, I think the staff would be happier too if they could have a breezier and more courteous atmosphere. Even low paid jobs are more satisfying when you have done them well. The individual workers are not really empowered to change this, but the people in charge could.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
Obviously no precheck at LHR - it didn't stop AA giving me a bp with it printed on ex LHR!
I nearly always get a secondary - every time it's for something different. Last one was empty water bottle overlaying some facial cleansing wipes. The security guy was pleasant and when I asked explained what the image looked like on the screen.
It seems I am on a never ending learning curve with security- at least I can eliminate each problem and maybe one day I will not get secondary
AA's BP's will process the PreCheck flag on any BP issued worldwide if elligible - doesn't mean much when not in the US
Old May 28, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by JayeJ
Yes, this is our experience. Extremely frustrating. When we asked what more we can do to avoid the secondary inspection, (computers, tablets, liquids, cords all removed) the staff person said our case, a carry on sized Rimowa, was too thick to be seen through on screening, so basically, we should toss the bag!

I was wondering if it would fit through the screening machine opened flat?
My sense is the staff you spoke to were likely just making stuff up, I travel with a metal Rimowa carry-on and it's literally never been pulled for secondary screening since I've had it (130+ flights/year in EU + NA primarily).

My laptop bag gets picked out occasionally (usually quota searches or MAN security being their usual ridiculous selves - 'you have a battery in there!') but I've never had an issue with the Rimowa at all (and my laptop power adapter, cables etc stay in there).

I have wondered occasionally how transparent it is to x-rays but I assumed they just increased the power or something until they were satisfied...
Old May 28, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by apollo00
My sense is the staff you spoke to were likely just making stuff up, I travel with a metal Rimowa carry-on and it's literally never been pulled for secondary screening since I've had it (130+ flights/year in EU + NA primarily).

My laptop bag gets picked out occasionally (usually quota searches or MAN security being their usual ridiculous selves - 'you have a battery in there!') but I've never had an issue with the Rimowa at all (and my laptop power adapter, cables etc stay in there).

I have wondered occasionally how transparent it is to x-rays but I assumed they just increased the power or something until they were satisfied...
I think it is the two layers. Mr. J carries cameras, batteries, lights, cords, etc. If they are taking up space in both halves then security can't see through all the "suspicious material" up top to the other questionable stuff in the bottom layer; however, we have a plan now to use packing cubes and put everything that might look suspicious in them so they can easily be taken out and put back inside.

We'll test it next week.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by JayeJ
I think it is the two layers. Mr. J carries cameras, batteries, lights, cords, etc. If they are taking up space in both halves then security can't see through all the "suspicious material" up top to the other questionable stuff in the bottom layer; however, we have a plan now to use packing cubes and put everything that might look suspicious in them so they can easily be taken out and put back inside.

We'll test it next week.
I've used airline amenity kit bags for years to isolate the cable bunches, and other things I carry that may show up "dense". For LHR T5 I generally now pull those out and even lay those items in the tray i use for the amenity kit bag. This stopped the almost 75% getting a manual search. The cube may still get a search, if it's in it's own tray , suggest pull the items out anyway
Old May 28, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
I've used airline amenity kit bags for years to isolate the cable bunches, and other things I carry that may show up "dense". For LHR T5 I generally now pull those out and even lay those items in the tray i use for the amenity kit bag. This stopped the almost 75% getting a manual search. The cube may still get a search, if it's in it's own tray , suggest pull the items out anyway
Thanks, will do. I am determined to get through without being stopped some day.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KerryMLC
Quite a common refrain at LHR T5 security by staff:

"Make sure to remove liquids, creams, laptops, tablets..."
"if you don't follow these instructions, your bag will be checked and you may wait up to 40 minutes and miss your flight!
"

I always follow the instructions but on previous occasions, my bag has sometimes been taken aside anyway for a random check (I.e. A "quota check" when I asked why).

Surely they can't be routinely delaying random bags by 40 minutes? Or do they only do the random check when it's quiet, or....?
They do. And a large part of it seems to be to punish the passengers so as to send us all a message. Worse yet is when they flag down a bin for LGAs when there are no LGAs to be found outside of the 3-1-1 bags. That's collateral damage.

LHR T5 is quite literally the worst airport for me when it comes to the liquid/gel/aerosol or others searches at primary passenger security screening checkpoint(s).
Old May 28, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
They do. And a large part of it seems to be to punish the passengers so as to send us all a message. Worse yet is when they flag down a bin for LGAs when there are no LGAs to be found outside of the 3-1-1 bags. That's collateral damage.

LHR T5 is quite literally the worst airport for me when it comes to the liquid/gel/aerosol or others searches at primary passenger security screening checkpoint(s).
LHR is the worst airport for security period, particularly on transfers. I don't understand why they have to be so aggressive. Nowhere else is like the UK. TSA staff are generally on a short fuse but they're pretty friendly at first contact.

If they want liquids out on inspection then fair enough, but the veiled threats and attitude are unnecessary and give a bad impression on what is often someone's first interaction with the UK.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
A couple of weeks ago leaving from T3 LHR the security staff were just rude to everyone. No, I was not pulled for additional screening but their attitude was one of contempt for every person going through.

Unhappy I couldn't lift my arms above my head for the scanner, there was barking 'why not, everyone else can, that's what you have to do' until there was realisation it just wasn't going to happen.

As I walked away there was the four face 'customer feedback' stand, I pressed the red angry face and immediately had a security staff in my face saying 'why did you press that one, what was wrong with security' and not in a pleasant way. My response was 'you sought feedback and I gave it to you' and walked on.

They start the security experience with a bad attitude - it can become infectious...
Old May 28, 2017, 10:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
A couple of weeks ago leaving from T3 LHR the security staff were just rude to everyone. No, I was not pulled for additional screening but their attitude was one of contempt for every person going through.

Unhappy I couldn't lift my arms above my head for the scanner, there was barking 'why not, everyone else can, that's what you have to do' until there was realisation it just wasn't going to happen.

As I walked away there was the four face 'customer feedback' stand, I pressed the red angry face and immediately had a security staff in my face saying 'why did you press that one, what was wrong with security' and not in a pleasant way. My response was 'you sought feedback and I gave it to you' and walked on.

They start the security experience with a bad attitude - it can become infectious...
If you can't raise your arms above your head due to medical issues (necessary for the microwave scanner) would it be worth you carrying a note from your doctor which you could show to confirm this?
Old May 28, 2017, 11:02 pm

Of course the "go slow" mode is deliberate and senseless.

I had shared recently how an almost empty tube of moisturiser (obviously maximum capacity was less than 100 ml) has to go through the charade of being put into a transparent plastic bag and re-scanned. And recently I scanned through a slightly larger transparent plastic bag (given by another airport) containing my toiletries which was probably only 2 cm wider than those they had at LHR, and I was asked to transfer everything into their plastic bag before going through the same charade.

These people really have too much time on their hands and knows not the concept of efficiency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.