Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Security "If you don't remove liquids you may have to wait 40 minutes"

Security "If you don't remove liquids you may have to wait 40 minutes"

Old May 27, 2017, 5:53 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Where do you fly?

It's pretty standard practice in the UK, Europe and USA for starters.
No longer a requirement in Middle East and or South Asia - at least from my last few flights at least. AUH, DOH, CMB, KHI, DXB, DWC have no requirement anymore to remove any liquids.

As much as I agree it is frustrating when some people don't remove their liquids, or IT equipment, many passengers are infrequent travellers, and are not as savvy as the rest of us. It doesn't help when the 'security staff' at LHR are amongst the rudest I've ever encountered and regularly scold passengers or shout at them.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yet, despite the 'warning' people still leave laptops, iPads and liquids in their bags
Sometimes forgetfulness strikes.... This Thursday I have taken care of removing the small clear plastic bag with under 100ml liquids, but left a large water bottle inside...
Old May 27, 2017, 6:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by travelwithross
No longer a requirement in Middle East and or South Asia - at least from my last few flights at least. AUH, DOH, CMB, KHI, DXB, DWC have no requirement anymore to remove any liquids...
I've been required to remove liquids in DOH in recent weeks, as well as a number of other airports in South/South East Asia. At DOH it is hit or miss, sometimes out (liquids and laptops) sometimes in. It's no wonder people get confused or forgetful.

Originally Posted by travelwithross
... As much as I agree it is frustrating when some people don't remove their liquids, or IT equipment, many passengers are infrequent travellers, and are not as savvy as the rest of us. It doesn't help when the 'security staff' at LHR are amongst the rudest I've ever encountered and regularly scold passengers or shout at them.
As much as I hate the growling, which happens at far too many airports, they usually shout to the passengers (to be heard) rather than shouting at them. It certainly wouldn't hurt if they threw in an occasional 'please' and 'thank you'. I do find security and boarding the two most frustrating aspects of air travel.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
The go-slow on secondary inspection seems to be completely deliberate. Regularly see staff standing around chatting while there is a queue of trays. I imagine that someone decided that the worthy rule-obeying passengers should be the only priority and that anyone who forgets a tube of moisturiser in their bag deserves what they get.

While in theory the rules should be easy for everyone, the reality is that a significant proportion of passengers are jetlagged, disoriented and haven't slept. It doesn't help that airports have widely varying requirements at checkpoints. We all *know* that a significant proportion of passengers will forget a liquid in their bag, and harsh treatment is not going to eliminate that forgetfulness.

It's time for T5 security to recognise that their approach of making secondary screening as slow as possible (and advertising that) just does not work, and re-focus on providing a swift and effective service to all passengers, not just those who are successfully remembering all their liquids.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BATLV
Sometimes forgetfulness strikes.... This Thursday I have taken care of removing the small clear plastic bag with under 100ml liquids, but left a large water bottle inside...
Indeed, twice in the last 12 months I've left a half drank 500ml bottle of water in my jacket pocket transferring from long haul through LHR - so embarrassing

I must be getting old ..
Old May 27, 2017, 6:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Indeed, twice in the last 12 months I've left a half drank 500ml bottle of water in my jacket pocket transferring from long haul through LHR - so embarrassing
I've twice removed everything electronic from my bag (cables, kindle, tablet etc.), and wondered why I'm using one fewer trays than usual.

I just got through the x-ray machine when I realised I'd left my laptop in there! Doh!
Old May 27, 2017, 6:42 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The warning you get when you go through any UK airport to remove any liquids. You were lucky it only took you 5 minutes - you could have been waiting 30-40 minutes if there were a lot of bags waiting to be manually screened.
To be honest I always get stopped at LHR for a swabbing and perusal anyway. I am sure this is just a quota check.

This is a legal requirement in many airports the world over.
Unless I am mistaken this goes back to 2003 when Tony Blair deployed tanks to LHR and this was adopted elsewhere. I do always ask exactly what needs to be removed at airports because I travel though enough regions for there to be lots of variation in terms of shoes, belts, watches etc. I can honestly not recall a time when I have been told when asking that I need to remove liquids.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Where do you fly?

It's pretty standard practice in the UK, Europe and USA for starters.
I always fly out of BOG because that's where I live. I have over the last couple of years flown often through the USA, never removed liquids and never had an issue (Normally transit security in MIA) I often go via DOH and go through security there. SE Asia, Far East, South America and Europe. Yesterday I flew out of BRU without removing liquids. I most often transit MAD and get the T4 check without removing liquids but they did once spot a cockroach in my washbag, they emptied it out, killed it with a shoe and then put all my liquids back in the bag and I was on my way. Two weeks ago they opened my bag to look at a battery charger.

Last year I flew a couple of times out of MAN without removing liquids and prior to yesterday the last time I was told to remove liquids was CPH in November 2014.

Like I said, I will know next time for LHR but statistically, 63 flights last year, I didn't remove liquids for any of them and it was not a problem. One could be forgiven for thinking that it is not a massive deal or a rule that is zealously enforced. I never go through with containers of more than 100ml.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
What would happen if you reach conformance on time but are so delayed at security you miss the flight?
Old May 27, 2017, 7:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Worcester
What would happen if you reach conformance on time but are so delayed at security you miss the flight?
You will be rebooked normally.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
This is my big bug-bear at LHR and why for me the whole security process is no more than a charade and not to be taken seriously.
There is absolutely no justification for secondary bag screening not to be carried out professionally and no reason for retaliatory measures to be taken out against passengers, particular those whose bags have ended up in secondary "randomly".
Old May 27, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
To be honest I always get stopped at LHR for a swabbing and perusal anyway. I am sure this is just a quota check.

Unless I am mistaken this goes back to 2003 when Tony Blair deployed tanks to LHR and this was adopted elsewhere. I do always ask exactly what needs to be removed at airports because I travel though enough regions for there to be lots of variation in terms of shoes, belts, watches etc. I can honestly not recall a time when I have been told when asking that I need to remove liquids.

I always fly out of BOG because that's where I live. I have over the last couple of years flown often through the USA, never removed liquids and never had an issue (Normally transit security in MIA) I often go via DOH and go through security there. SE Asia, Far East, South America and Europe. Yesterday I flew out of BRU without removing liquids. I most often transit MAD and get the T4 check without removing liquids but they did once spot a cockroach in my washbag, they emptied it out, killed it with a shoe and then put all my liquids back in the bag and I was on my way. Two weeks ago they opened my bag to look at a battery charger.

Last year I flew a couple of times out of MAN without removing liquids and prior to yesterday the last time I was told to remove liquids was CPH in November 2014.

Like I said, I will know next time for LHR but statistically, 63 flights last year, I didn't remove liquids for any of them and it was not a problem. One could be forgiven for thinking that it is not a massive deal or a rule that is zealously enforced. I never go through with containers of more than 100ml.
The enforcement ranges from 'rigorous' over 'hit or miss' to 'don't really care' but it was announced as a requirement at pretty much every airport I've gone through the last few years (which is all Europe + NA).

I'm just saying that so you know that if you got away with it, it's because of lackluster enforcement not absence of rules. So if in the future you run into a staff person who enforces the rule, don't get mad at someone for doing their job properly.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by technical_bob
The go-slow on secondary inspection seems to be completely deliberate. Regularly see staff standing around chatting while there is a queue of trays. I imagine that someone decided that the worthy rule-obeying passengers should be the only priority...
Yes, this is our experience. Extremely frustrating. When we asked what more we can do to avoid the secondary inspection, (computers, tablets, liquids, cords all removed) the staff person said our case, a carry on sized Rimowa, was too thick to be seen through on screening, so basically, we should toss the bag!

I was wondering if it would fit through the screening machine opened flat?
Old May 27, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by JayeJ
Yes, this is our experience. Extremely frustrating. When we asked what more we can do to avoid the secondary inspection, (computers, tablets, liquids, cords all removed) the staff person said our case, a carry on sized Rimowa, was too thick to be seen through on screening, so basically, we should toss the bag!

I was wondering if it would fit through the screening machine opened flat?
I doubt it would fit in a tray opened flat.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
I doubt it would fit in a tray opened flat.
Thanks for the (amazingly) quick reply. I actually wasn't thinking of using a tray, just opened flat on the belt. Everything inside would be secure behind the flat screens holding it in.

I have told Mr. Man that he will have to disembowel his bag so that we can get through security faster. Missed our only chance to get into the CCR because of it last time through!

Last edited by JayeJ; May 27, 2017 at 8:25 am Reason: clarification
Old May 27, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by JayeJ
Thanks for the (amazingly) quick reply. I actually wasn't thinking of using a tray, just opened flat on the belt. Everything inside would be secure behind the flat screens holding it in.

I have told Mr. Man that he will have to disembowel his bag so that we can get through security faster. Missed our only chance to get into the CCR because of it last time through!
You can't put them on the belt directly, everything has to go in a tray, hence my comment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.