Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Plaza Premium used as an overflow lounge at YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plaza Premium used as an overflow lounge at YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Sounds like BA should reclassify the lounge as BA only and not OW.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
the title of your thread is misleading

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
OW Sapphire flying paid WTP YVR-LHR. At check-in, agent seemed a it confused and said "oh, you don't get a lounge invitation." I corrected her that I should as a OW Sapphire (AS Platinum) flying on an this flight. She corrected herself and stamped my BP with "Plaza Premium" and handing me an invitation saying that the flight was full tonight in F and J and that I would be able to use the Plaza Premium Lounge. I asked again why I couldn't use the Galleries Lounge and she said because it will be full. Of course, the flight wasn't so full that they didn't try and upsell me on a CW seat for $850CAD. Really Queen????
OrdPlataa, there are 4 PP lounges in YVR. The title of this thread is a tad misleading. I take it you are referring to the int'l one?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
2 GCHs flying WT YVR-LHR tonight. Our boarding cards were stamped with Plaza Premium access at check in. I challenged this - were told because the lounge was full (due to A380 rather than B747) no guests were allowed. Stood my ground and made the point that we were both GCH in our own right so not taking guests.

Check in agent tore up boarding cards and reissued without the PP stamp.

Got to the BA GF lounge early at gate 64, no one else there. But it did fill up quick. Pretty basic service, similar to PHX.

As soon as the CX lounge at gate 67 opened at 8pm we decamped there. We currently have it to ourselves and it's *much* better. Similar decor to CX LHR T3 but much bigger and with made to order noodles and dim sum.

Bizarre that BA don't direct GCH here given the over crowding as most probably don't know about it - or perhaps BA get charged per guest. Regardless, grateful to the forum for the tip - has taken the edge of the 1hr delay.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:12 pm

I find it strange that if BA are having these overflow issues why they don't have any arrangements with CX to open a little earlier to take the overflow
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
I saw it mentioned elsewhere that BA have to pay CX ~$80 per pax for using their lounge. So far cheaper for BA to direct people to Premium Plaza (at ~$20 wholesale?) than explain their OW entitlement...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by 26left
I saw it mentioned elsewhere that BA have to pay CX ~$80 per pax for using their lounge. So far cheaper for BA to direct people to Premium Plaza (at ~$20 wholesale?) than explain their OW entitlement...
In that case why doesn't CX open slightly earlier on their own? 6pm should be early enough and should pay back more than enough...
makin'miles likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Waiting for BA84 and I have never been so happy for a hour's delay. We arrived at YVR at 19.45 for a 20.50 departure knowing it had been pushed back to 22.00. By the time we checked in and cleared security we arrived at the door to the Cathay lounge bang on 20.00 as it opened.

It's roughly three times the size of the BA lounge; has a noodle bar, about ten other people in it, and frankly I'd be very happy if the plane suffered a further few hours' delay. It absolutely knocks the spots off BA's offering.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:43 pm
LE2

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Greg66
Waiting for BA84 and I have never been so happy for a hour's delay. We arrived at YVR at 19.45 for a 20.50 departure knowing it had been pushed back to 22.00. By the time we checked in and cleared security we arrived at the door to the Cathay lounge bang on 20.00 as it opened.

It's roughly three times the size of the BA lounge; has a noodle bar, about ten other people in it, and frankly I'd be very happy if the plane suffered a further few hours' delay. It absolutely knocks the spots off BA's offering.
According to the OW app, the CX YVR lounge is now open 24 hours...which would be great for BA passengers.

I highly doubt it but will see if it's true next week.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by LE2
According to the OW app, the CX YVR lounge is now open 24 hours...which would be great for BA passengers.

I highly doubt it but will see if it's true next week.
It's most definitely not open 24h, more likely a OW app error... see here:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ic-lounge.html

"Opening hours:06:00-15:00, 20:00-02:00, daily"

CX837,855, 889 (and the YVR-JFK tag of 888) depart at 2:45pm, 9:30am, 2:00am and 10:50pm respectively, so they really have no reason to have the lounge open between 3pm and 8pm.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Is there time / is it safe to decamp to CX lounge at 20.00 for a 21.10 BA84 departure

Currently in YVR Galleries - CX lounge doesn't open till an hour before departure, will we get half an hour in there if we move at 20.00 or is it cutting it a bit fine? Flying WT+ but Group 2 boarding due to silver card.

Thanks for any tips!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by GCab
Currently in YVR Galleries - CX lounge doesn't open till an hour before departure, will we get half an hour in there if we move at 20.00 or is it cutting it a bit fine? Flying WT+ but Group 2 boarding due to silver card.

Thanks for any tips!
As long as you present yourself at the gate prior to the published cut off time you will be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.