Wiki Posts
Search

Buying through BA.com store

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Buying through BA.com store

Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong area.

I went on to BA.com today as I received an email about avios promotions.

I am looking to buy an iMac so when I saw 12 avios per pound I thought great.

Using my BA Amex I can earn on top and hit my 5,000 point bonus too, triple whammy.

When you hit buy it takes you out to the apple site. However there are no signs in the apple checkout process to tell you this is a registered BA.com avios reward purchase. Am I being paranoid? Worried I won't get my points.

Apple support didn't even understand the concept of what was happening.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have purchased a few items via the BA store and on none of the transactions is there an indication that this a BA Avios reward purchase.

However all of the transactions have posted ( it can take a month for the points to post)

Regards

TBS
Old May 26, 2017, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I have purchased a few items via the BA store and on none of the transactions is there an indication that this a BA Avios reward purchase.

However all of the transactions have posted ( it can take a month for the points to post)

Regards

TBS
Thank you I will go ahead.

I too am a Banking Scot btw
Old May 26, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
I've also purchased from Apple via the BA store and received the Avios, no problem.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Sometimes they don't track, usually they do.

Check out Avios.com and Virgin's shopping stores too - can be better than BA, although usually the offers are near-identical.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by memesweeper
Sometimes they don't track, usually they do.
AIUI, the tracking does rely on cookies etc. So if I'm going to do some shopping, I have to try to remember to do it on an unprotected browser. If I shop from my normal setup, it's almost guaranteed not to track.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:04 pm

I had a few problems at the start due to using A d b l o c k Plus without disabling on the gate365 page, after that it was fine.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:21 pm

Made about 50000 avios from 12 avios per £1 at apple last year, so it's a nice earner if you spend a lot of money with them.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:41 pm

As Globaliser noted, if you use any cookie or ad blocking tools, it isn't likely to track - so use an 'unprotected' browser for it.

One other point you might not be aware of: I did this using the 8 Avios per pound Apple promo last year, and it is on the price before tax (and postage where applicable - I picked up in store). Given VAT is 20%, on a £799 iPhone you actually ended up with the bonus on ~£560 of spending. Still good, and even better at 12 per pound, but just a warning in case it is less than you expect. It is in the T&Cs.

I can't remember if it applies to other retailers too - I suspect so, but am sure others could confirm.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by squawk
I can't remember if it applies to other retailers too - I suspect so, but am sure others could confirm.
My experience is that if the purchase tracks automatically, you tend to get Avios on the full (VAT-inclusive) price. However, if you have to retro-claim, you're more likely to be awarded Avios only on the net price.

It's also worth remembering that VAT is 20% of the net price, not 20% of the gross price. So a £120 purchase including VAT is £100 net + £20 VAT (not £96 net + £24 VAT).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.