Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Help please!...Paid upgrade confusion for open jaw ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Myself and my partner have booked the following journey with BA

LHR to YYZ 21/07/2017 in WTP
AUS to LHR 12/08/2017 in WTP

Selling Class: T
Cost : £1319 per person

After booking, I used Avios to upgrade us both to CW on the AUS to LHR leg.

I contacted BA to enquire about the cost of a cash upgrade to CW for the LHR to YYZ leg (cash upgrade because we have used all our Avios and there are no reward seats available on that flight anyway). BA advised that the fare difference between WTP and CW is £2456 per person plus change fees.

I have gone through the process of making a dummy booking on ba.com for the same journey but in CW for both legs and the price is £2479 per person (selling class R)

Can anyone help me understand the reason why the cost of an upgrade from WTP to CW on one leg of the journey is the same price (give or take a few quid) as the cost of buying a return ticket in CW on both legs?

P.S Im not very familiar with the jargon or the acronyms so responses in laymans terms will be greatly appreciated!!
Old May 25, 2017, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's currently a big thread in the BA forum about someone who purchased a RT ticket AUS-LHR and then asked BA about upgrading with AA miles. One of the issues is whether BA tickets on this route are changeable or not or (almost equivalently) whether cancelling a ticket leads to a credit voucher toward future BA flights.

If you have a "fly it or lose it" fare, BA might just be quoting the purchase of a new ticket without telling you that this is what you would be doing, although apparently BA is required by law to refund taxes and government imposed fees.

It's also possible that you're looking at fares that cannot be combined together into an open jaw ticket, so refaring to a higher fare class is required on the already upgraded direction or BA is turning this into two one way tickets.

It's too bad that you didn't investigate the cost of purchasing the cheapest applicable CW ticket from the beginning or even before upgrading one direction.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
no doubt for the same reason it can be more expensive to buy a one way ticket than to buy a return ticket
Old May 25, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are quoting the fare difference to full J for that leg.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
BA will be repricing based on a o/w J class ticket.
However you might be lucky and be offered a POUG (a pro-active upgrade price) between now and then...

Also, logic with air fares...?
Old May 25, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
You are looking for consistency in the wrong place, I'm afraid!

The reasonably priced upgrades are the "promotional"/proactive ones. If that's not being offered, you'll just be offered something absurdly expensive based on what it would have cost to buy a fully flexible one way fare in that cabin.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's currently a big thread in the BA forum about someone who purchased a RT ticket AUS-LHR and then asked BA about upgrading with AA miles. One of the issues is whether BA tickets on this route are changeable or not or (almost equivalently) whether cancelling a ticket leads to a credit voucher toward future BA flights.

If you have a "fly it or lose it" fare, BA might just be quoting the purchase of a new ticket without telling you that this is what you would be doing, although apparently BA is required by law to refund taxes and government imposed fees.

It's also possible that you're looking at fares that cannot be combined together into an open jaw ticket, so refaring to a higher fare class is required on the already upgraded direction or BA is turning this into two one way tickets.

It's too bad that you didn't investigate the cost of purchasing the cheapest applicable CW ticket from the beginning or even before upgrading one direction.
I don't think OP's issue is anything to do with that.

I may be wrong, but I think the agent has simply quoted the wrong fare difference - that leg should be upgradeable to the I fare currently available.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I was under the impression that POUGs weren't offered on open jaw or any other 'non standard' return fares.
I may be wrong, but have never personally had one on a ticket like this.
I think the OP might be advised to call in again and if given the same price, ask what basis/fare class it is.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Sealink
BA will be repricing based on a o/w J class ticket.
However you might be lucky and be offered a POUG (a pro-active upgrade price) between now and then...
You don't get offered them (or can't complete them online - I forget which) on open jaw journeys. So you'd either need to call - assuming that there's POUG space; though not sure how you'd know - or try for an AUP when checking in.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Most lower fare bucket fares between Canada and the UK are priced on a return basis. You can combine I/D/R on a round-trip journey, but I don't think you can combine I/D/R with U. The lowest one way fare is typically in C.

Having already changed the T to U, I suspect the pricing matrix would force the fare quote to C for the outbound sector.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by AC*SE
Having already changed the T to U, I suspect the pricing matrix would force the fare quote to C for the outbound sector.
Yes that's what I suspect the computer has done, but I don't think the computer is correct - as the underlying fare on the inbound is still T.

So I think - and again I may well be wrong - that it should be doable but will need to be sent off for manual pricing. I'm sure JAXBA or Anonba will know...
Old May 26, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
They are quoting the fare difference to full J for that leg.
Originally Posted by AC*SE
Most lower fare bucket fares between Canada and the UK are priced on a return basis. You can combine I/D/R on a round-trip journey, but I don't think you can combine I/D/R with U. The lowest one way fare is typically in C.

I can't get the exact numbers that the OP quotes, but it looks to me like the pricing being used for that quote may have been for D class outbound and T class inbound.

Today, T/T for the OP's itinerary would cost £1,402. D/T would be £3,995 - a fare difference of £2,593 which is reasonably close to the figure given.

However, I/T will price, and that is £1,837 today. So I think that the OP should be being quoted something closer to £400-500 fare difference plus change fee. As I/T cash fares will combine, AIUI there should be no problem with buying that and UuAing only the inbound half. The supposed non-combinability of putative U class fares is a red herring - there aren't really any U class fares.

I suspect that the real problem is that the fares department does have the expertise to get this kind of calculation right and that the original call centre agent didn't.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Im unaware of a non changeable WTP fare.Also dont see what relevance the other thread has as this is a change, not retaining the ticket value for future use or cancelling for a tax only refund.
In the other thread the person could not do the change they wanted because you cant upgrade a ba issued eticket with aa advantage points, not because it was non changeable.

They then cancelled and only got a tax only refund but unfortunately assumed they would get more of a refund.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Yes that's what I suspect the computer has done, but I don't think the computer is correct - as the underlying fare on the inbound is still T.

So I think - and again I may well be wrong - that it should be doable but will need to be sent off for manual pricing. I'm sure JAXBA or Anonba will know...
Once a Uua has been done ATC automatic ticket changer cant be used to price the change so it isnt a system error.

The change has to be quoted manually and U class isnt looked at in terms of pricing but what is looked at is the underlying fare so T class.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:28 am

Hmmmm another thought occurs i wonder whether both legs are being repriced so something like D outbound and W inbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.