Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ / LHR - Amateur Mixed Fleet crews

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
YYZ / LHR - Amateur Mixed Fleet crews

I fly this route every 2 months or so and have noticed some changes for the worse in my last flew trips, since the change to MF crew. In general things are just a bit sloppy - I often feel I know the routine of the service better than the crew.

On my last flight to London:
- pre-flight drinks service to WTP only reached the first row and then for some reason was stopped, never to resume.
- Meal trays cleared too soon, before tea and coffee served, so no one got any

On my last return flight
- Took 2 hours for dinner to be served
- No glassware in WTP
- Lady next to me asked for an extra blanket and never got it - I gave her mine
- Wine wasn't served with dinner, I had to ask for it
- There was, unusually a second drinks service with orders being taken and then delivered but it was somewhat schizophrenic and I was missed out
- Cabin lights weren't dimmed. I asked about this and the CSM said they don't do it on daytime flights. Which is odd as they have every other time I have taken this route
- Bars were closed 2hrs and 30 mins before landing.

I've not had a Gold member greeting on any of 4 flights since the changeover. It is a far cry from my last flight with the WW crew - champagne brought to me in Y plus a meal from Club!

Ok, none of these are exactly life altering problems but its irritating not to get what you pay for and I was absolutely starving on my last flight before dinner arrived. Is it worth complaining, in order to get (maybe) a thousand avios?

On the upside. Its great to have pretzels and cheese back in WTP and the enhanced 'snack' which includes a sandwich, crisps, and biscuits is I think actually better now than the sandwich and Kit Kat option which existed previously.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
I have had nothing but WW for a few flights a just yearn for a MF one soon...
Old May 23, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Others may disagree and tell you that you should be thankful you got what you got, but I would certainly provide some constructive feedback to BA.

You may or may not get any Avios but I think it's important that BA knows where it continues to provide inconsistent service. If staff aren't following service standards or there are other failings then it should know.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Others may disagree and tell you that you should be thankful you got what you got, but I would certainly provide some constructive feedback to BA.

You may or may not get any Avios but I think it's important that BA knows where it continues to provide inconsistent service. If staff aren't following service standards or there are other failings then it should know.
Agreed. However the average quality of WW crew and their CSDs seems to be in the downward direction. Each WW crew I have seems to be slightly worse than the last. Perhaps because those that can get other jobs/roles....do (present company exempt as usual of course, and you are the exception by being on here).
Old May 23, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I can't remember how to differentiate between the crews, but did my first First to YYZ today and they were brilliant. Friendly, helpful and attentive. I shall be sending in a /welldone shortly.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by HHarry
I can't remember how to differentiate between the crews, but did my first First to YYZ today and they were brilliant. Friendly, helpful and attentive. I shall be sending in a /welldone shortly.
Flew F return this route a couple of weeks ago and had the best crew we've ever had on a BA flight. Also agree totally brilliant Young energetic attentive truly wonderful
Old May 24, 2017, 12:59 am

One thing I miss with MF in First is the way that when you order wine they don't show you the bottle, offer you a taste, and pour at the table. Instead they go to the galley and fetch you a glass of your choice. Same overall result of course, but somehow it lacks refinement. Also, 2 F flights, no sign of a chocolate. What happens to them?
Old May 24, 2017, 1:16 am

I have to say - my last 2 YYZ flights on MF have been pretty good.

Were they a new crew? Sure - when I asked for a Kir Royale in CW - I was first asked "ice and a slice?" and he set about searching the trolley for some clear spirit. I prompted him with ... "champagne and" ... and before I could finish - he jumped back in with "oh yes - Cassis" and sorted it out.

But the rest of the service was good and they made up for the occasional slip with enthusiasm. I did talk to the CSM on that flight and it turns out the chap who made that slip was on his second flight.

(but let's not repeat the debate on Kir Royale training!)
Old May 24, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
One thing I miss with MF in First is the way that when you order wine they don't show you the bottle, offer you a taste, and pour at the table. Instead they go to the galley and fetch you a glass of your choice. Same overall result of course, but somehow it lacks refinement. Also, 2 F flights, no sign of a chocolate. What happens to them?
Have done a few F flights SIN-SYD and SIN-SYD with MF crew and they have been brilliant, and always if I wish to try a wine they will bring out the bottle, show it to me, then pour a little into the glass for me to try, on my last flight SYD-SIN did not like any of the white wines from F, so the crew member suggested I try something from the club menu, brought a bottle down and showed me the label, then proceeded to pour a little into a new glass for me to try. We have always found on these two routes the MF crew as very enthusiastic, helpful and happy to be of service to us.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I feel crews are generally hit or miss and nothing in between. As gold I either get treated as royalty or zero recognition. Can't say I've generally noticed differences between MF & WW
Old May 24, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
I can't remember how to differentiate between the crews
Mixed Fleet (women) wear hats. And the crew will be younger (but nothing stopping a 50 year old join if they wanted too...)
Old May 24, 2017, 7:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Mixed Fleet (women) wear hats. And the crew will be younger (but nothing stopping a 50 year old join if they wanted too...)
As do WW ladies on the B787 and A380.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can't remember how to differentiate between the crews,
I was told it was:
If they are Radio 1 listeners = MF
If Radio 2 = EF
If Melody / Heart FM = WW
If BBC World Service = International
If Classic FM = WW CSD
If Radio 4 = flight crew in drag
Old May 24, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was told it was:
If they are Radio 1 listeners = MF
If Radio 2 = EF
If Melody / Heart FM = WW
If BBC World Service = International
If Classic FM = WW CSD
If Radio 4 = flight crew in drag
A nice variation on the "Yes Prime Minister" sketch on who reads which newspaper:

Old May 24, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: FT
and i did YYZ-LHR in early may and returned home yesterday in F and also had a great crew both directions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.