Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini Rant

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
If I had bought a HBO ticket because I needed to get away quickly on arrival then I'd be pretty upset if I was forced to gate check my size and weight compliant hand baggage. ... are those Waterside MBA apprentices smoking?
Old May 19, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Most Americans don't own a passport... wonder if that is why? :-)
Originally Posted by hfly
That canard again?

Once upon a time, up until a decade ago in fact, Americans DID NOT need passports to travel to the places they most often traveled, over 50 countries and territories in fact, most of the Caribbean, Canada and Mexico. However over the last 10-12 years they do, which means that somewhere between 40-50% of all Americans DO in fact carry valid passports
So you're confirming most American's don't own a passport.

Old May 19, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Paralytic
So you're confirming most American's don't own a passport.

always good to see someone with a firm grasp of statistics 😁
Old May 19, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
GA: "You have to check your bag, the flight is very full"
Me: "We are 40 minutes from takeoff, there have been no cancellations on this route today, and 20 minutes ago you still had over 40 seats available for sale!"
GA: "But your bag is too big"
Slightly off topic but how would you know that there were 40+ free seats free?
Old May 19, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I went to Amsterdam this week and the baggage situation was truly awful. Started boarding on time but left 30 (yes 30) minutes late due to the immense time it took to board the passengers and try and sort out all the bl**dy hand luggage. Crew were clueles and spent as much time looking in the lockers/bins trying to figure out how to re-arrange. One guy had a suit carrier which took up loads of room but is long and flat so not efficient. A pax wanted to put his bag in the same space and the crew woman said "how would you like it if you put a bag on top of a suit carrier", he then explained he was going to put his bag in and put the suit carrier on top. Crew member then disappeared down the back. Another issue is that CE baggage was full but a there were still two large bags to go in for late boarders. This must have taken another 10 mins to sort out as they tried to figure out space down the back, other bags to be moved around. If CE baggage is full when they get on board then it should go in the hold, not aware of a rule that says CE bags have to go on board and cannot go in the hold just because they are CE.

So, we left 30 mins late, 20 mins of taxiing in massive queue and then land on runway 18 so 15 min taxi the other end. On time boarding start ends up with over a 1 hour delay to arrival.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by shefgab
IIRC Ryanair ....

I was only caught out by this once, but I only arrived at Stansted 20 minutes before departure so was exceedingly relieved to be boarding at all, even with my bag in the hold.
I had the opposite experience recently on American Airlines at my local airport. I arrived at the counter just as boarding was starting. I wanted to check a bag that is within carry-on limits, but the agent said that it was too late for it to be loaded and told me to carry it aboard.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nallison
The Op said their bag did fit easily in the sizer.
Please read what I wrote:

"[OP] had a factual dispute with the BA agent which the sizer is there to resolve. The bag either fits the sizer or it does not."

Apparently the GA thought otherwise. That is the essence of a factual dispute.

If you have a factual dispute, request a manager. There is not much more to be done.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Airline employees should not be handling people's phones in the first place, I've seen this in the UK and some other countries too. In the US, airport employees are not allowed to touch phones, the customer scans the mobile boarding pass themselves.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Kumulani
Airline employees should not be handling people's phones in the first place, I've seen this in the UK and some other countries too. In the US, airport employees are not allowed to touch phones, the customer scans the mobile boarding pass themselves.
I'm not sure why the employee shouldn't handle passengers' phones if the passengers are happy about it.

It's surprising how many passengers don't have the knack of correctly presenting the phone to the reader. The agent invariably has the knack. Ergo...
Old May 20, 2017, 12:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Often1
Please read what I wrote:

"[OP] had a factual dispute with the BA agent which the sizer is there to resolve. The bag either fits the sizer or it does not."

Apparently the GA thought otherwise. That is the essence of a factual dispute.

If you have a factual dispute, request a manager. There is not much more to be done.
Or respect the sizer that is specifically put there to resolve these complaints, and not with any bias in favour of either the passenger or the gate agent. Especially if they have a BA approved bag. Or you are saying the Op is lying?
Old May 20, 2017, 2:01 am
Original Poster

The size of the bag is irrelavant, the wording used was "We can only guarantee your yellow tagged bag will be allowed on". Meeting the sizing requirement was not the issue it was a proactive measure to show the bag fit. I was also carrying gifts for a wedding and did not want them in the hold.

Hold luggage and cabin bags are different kettles of fish and I pack accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.