Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA charging domestic VAT on Avios tickets with £0 base fares (AR)

Old May 12, 2017, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA IHG

Hi, I have made a few Avios bookings on LAN flights (ie flight AEP-NQN).

BA charge taxes on the redemption of:
GBP 7.20 QN Gross Receipts Tax (Domestic)
GBP 17.60 DL VAT (Domestic) - Argentina
GBP 1.00 TQ
GBP 4.60 XR

QN & DL should be taxes based on the fare - which is listed on the ticket as £0.

The exact same redemption flight on LANPass has NO QN or DL charge (so £24.90 less in taxes).

I have a few of these bookings so the extra taxes are amounting to more than £100.

I've tried writing to the address on BAEC Contact site - but they just email back saying they only look at post-flight issues. I'd really like to address this in writing rather than try by phone. I feel BA is unscrupulously charging taxes they are not liable to pay on.

Any suggestion of where to write to?

Thanks
Old May 12, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
This will need to be a phone call - there really isn't anywhere to write to I'm afraid.

If the taxes are indeed a percentage of the fare then they shouldn't apply - you're going to need to call, get someone to read the tax info, then send your booking(s) off to be reissued with residual refunds.

Although it seems shady, it's simply that BA hasn't realised that those taxes don't apply on zero fares and has automatically collected them based on the published fare they used to calculate the other fees and taxes. This issues affects other countries too, like Costa Rica.

You just have to speak to someone, get them to understand and agree with you, and you'll get your money back.
Old May 13, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by JAXBA
You just have to speak to someone, get them to understand and agree with you, and you'll get your money back.
Thanks for the input. I have a couple more to book, so will get those done, then built up the strength for a phone battle...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.