First time LGW south BA experience

Old May 10, 2017, 5:01 am
Original Poster

First time LGW south BA experience

Was interested this morning to take my first BA flight ex-LGW since the move to the South terminal. LGW is really much more convenient for me and I'd like to fly more often from here if I can.

Some observations

1. Obviously it is so much more convenient than North terminal. The shuttle run is a thing of the past!
2. The check in zone is inconveniently at the far end of the terminal, and then you have to walk back the same distance to security. Norwegian has prime spot but I guess they were there first...
3. Premium security was a dream, and the staff were so polite. But I've always found LGW security to be far far superior to LHR.
4. The lounge is now clearly signed immediately after security but you still have to walk through the upper shops level. And boy is this terminal crowded! If you don't have lounge access it would be an unpleasant wait I think.
5. The lounge seems to be down a warren of corridors and lifts, so I was a bit surprised to see that so many other people had found their way to it! I found an empty set of seats upstairs but that was after searching for a while.
6. The lounge is nice (it is new after all) but why oh why are the gents bathrooms so small? There must have been 100-150 men in there and 2 cubicles. The queue was out the door. Crazy given they had so much space to play with.
7. The walk from the lounge to gates 25-28 is seriously far. I'd almost say it's worse than the bridge over to the remote gates at north terminal. And you have to navigate your way past the elderly and the bucket-and-spaders.
8. I walked fast as the lounge screen had said hey flight was boarding. Not happy to arrive and see it hadn't even begun.

Even less happy when the gate agents announced they would be boarding Club Europe last because they hadn't moved the cabin divider curtain. Economy boarded in full and we were kept standing at the gate for a further 20 minutes. Finally boarded to find the curtain is still at row 3 and "Club" stretches back to row 10. So now we are 45 minutes late and have missed our slot because of a curtain!

Meanwhile many of the other club passengers are connecting from US inbound, and seem amazed that this is a business class cabin. They are asking about the entertainment and wondering why the seat is so narrow lol. I have to say I really feel like telling my company (which has paid 800 for LGW-BCN ) not to bother next time!
Old May 10, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Had our first LGW South BA lounge experience a couple of weeks ago. Weekday morning though not first thing so it was really quiet, very nice in fact. We snagged a couple of window seats and the staff were very courteous and on point with their service.

I too with echo your comments about the screens flashing up saying 'boarding' and in our case 'last call' for us to get to the plane, slowly as I was using crutches, to find nothing had started and that we had a further 20 minute wait before boarding.
It isnt a massive complaint and I guess they are factoring in those who feel they are superior and dont have to make an effort to get to the plane but it did seem way out of script with what was actually going on.

Overall though, nice lounge - nicer than T5 Id say.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Accor Gold
The issue of the screens showing (maybe) "gate open" for ages, then "boarding" followed what seems just seconds after by "last call" is getting ridiculously frequent. Maybe it amuses someone in some remote control room somewhere, in which case they maybe need to get a real job. Agreed that the LGW South lounge is rather nice though.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I much prefer flying from LGW than from LHR. It's just so much more pleasant, the views from the lounge in particular. every time I've been there (Friday evenings so far, for the 1925 to GLA) the lounge is quiet, no queues and I get my preferred seat overlooking the runway.

out of interest, what time were you flying, so I know to avoid it?
Old May 10, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Given how crowded LGW is these days, I love the lounge. I don't think i could get used to not having access to it now!
Old May 10, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I absolutely hate LGW, but then I've not flown BA out of it for many, many years. Horrible central waiting area, massive crowds, blatant lies about whether the plane is boarding and then disgusting holding pens at the gate. A truly vile place.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:06 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
So my thoughts in bold. Personally I love the new LGW(S) experience with BA and I love the new check-in area and Lounge.

Originally Posted by aristoph

2. The check in zone is inconveniently at the far end of the terminal, and then you have to walk back the same distance to security. Not really a big deal...an extra 30 seconds walk at most?
3. Premium security was a dream, and the staff were so polite. But I've always found LGW security to be far far superior to LHR. Agreed!
4. The lounge is now clearly signed immediately after security but you still have to walk through the upper shops level. No big deal TBH, 20 seconds walk to the lounge from security
5. The lounge seems to be down a warren of corridors and lifts, so I was a bit surprised to see that so many other people had found their way to it!. Found it very easily, is clearly signposted!
6. The lounge is nice (it is new after all) but why oh why are the gents bathrooms so small? There must have been 100-150 men in there and 2 cubicles. Agreed 100%
7. The walk from the lounge to gates 25-28 is seriously far. I'd almost say it's worse than the bridge over to the remote gates at north terminal. And you have to navigate your way past the elderly and the bucket-and-spaders. Oh dear....touch of DYKWIA there??
Old May 10, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I absolutely hate LGW, but then I've not flown BA out of it for many, many years. Horrible central waiting area, massive crowds, blatant lies about whether the plane is boarding and then disgusting holding pens at the gate. A truly vile place.
This isn't the experience I've had in any of the flights I've had out of South terminal.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by IanAsiaTraveller
The issue of the screens showing (maybe) "gate open" for ages, then "boarding" followed what seems just seconds after by "last call" is getting ridiculously frequent.
This has been a problem at LGW for years and affects all flights, not just BA. When I used to fly regularly from the North terminal to PRN the flight invariably went from one of the gates over the scenic bridge and 9 times out of 10, having left the lounge when the screens said Boarding, I'd arrive to find it hadn't even started. Now I occasionally fly PS to KBP from the South terminal and it's exactly the same. Flight display says Boarding, usually from one of the furthest gates from the No1 lounge, but even after an 8 minute walk, boarding hasn't even started.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
ISTR that the LGW flight status displays change according to some pre-set timetable based on scheduled departure time, rather than by an actual update of whether/when boarding might take place.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Only on FT could points 2, 4, 5 and 7 so conclusively disprove point 1.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by aristoph
Some observations

1. Obviously it is so much more convenient than North terminal. The shuttle run is a thing of the past!
Nice for those who use the Train. Not everyone does.
2. The check in zone is inconveniently at the far end of the terminal, and then you have to walk back the same distance to security. Norwegian has prime spot but I guess they were there first.
Closer for those arriving by Next coach from LHR, = 50/50
3. Premium security was a dream, and the staff were so polite. But I've always found LGW security to be far far superior to LHR.
Agree 100%
4. The lounge is now clearly signed immediately after security but you still have to walk through the upper shops level. And boy is this terminal crowded! If you don't have lounge access it would be an unpleasant wait I think.
FLounge nice. Terminal awful!
5. The lounge seems to be down a warren of corridors and lifts, so I was a bit surprised to see that so many other people had found their way to it! I found an empty set of seats upstairs but that was after searching for a while.
Secrets .. it will keep the occupancy low
6. The lounge is nice (it is new after all) but why oh why are the gents bathrooms so small? There must have been 100-150 men in there and 2 cubicles. The queue was out the door. Crazy given they had so much space to play with.
Only used the FLounge ones, which were OK ... stupid design using cubicles for chaps, we don't take that long..
7. The walk from the lounge to gates 25-28 is seriously far. I'd almost say it's worse than the bridge over to the remote gates at north terminal. And you have to navigate your way past the elderly and the bucket-and-spaders.
Long walk next month, but some elderly can move quite quickly. Wanna race?
8. I walked fast as the lounge screen had said hey flight was boarding. Not happy to arrive and see it hadn't even begun.
And the Lounge screens only show BA flights, which seems a bit unkind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.