Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Serious question: How is BA different from a LCC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serious question: How is BA different from a LCC?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 1:38 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
That would be horrendous. But for anyone who chooses to fly LCC ..... well they have only themselves to blame, surely.

Someone I know was once kept waiting onboard a (non-heated) bus, standing-room only, for easily 15 mins, last October, on a bitterly cold late afternoon when departing HEL.

The bus had been 'authorised' to leave the gate - but on reaching the remote stand, the driver was instructed to keep the doors closed because re-fuelling had not been completed.

Oh ..... hang on a minute. I've just remembered : that person was me. Travelling on BA back to LHR. In CE . With all the privileges of my Gold card .........the same sort of boarding 'privileges' that (in this case) were actually offered to all non-status pax in Y.
I can beat that I'm afraid. 25 minutes kept standing on a bus, in 35 degree late afternoon heat in Amman whilst they cleaned (yes, really) the aircraft.

They lost our luggage on arrival back at Heathrow, too.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
That would be horrendous. But for anyone who chooses to fly LCC ..... well they have only themselves to blame, surely.

Someone I know was once kept waiting onboard a (non-heated) bus, standing-room only, for easily 15 mins, last October, on a bitterly cold late afternoon when departing HEL.

The bus had been 'authorised' to leave the gate - but on reaching the remote stand, the driver was instructed to keep the doors closed because re-fuelling had not been completed.

Oh ..... hang on a minute. I've just remembered : that person was me. Travelling on BA back to LHR. In CE . With all the privileges of my Gold card .........the same sort of boarding 'privileges' that (in this case) were actually offered to all non-status pax in Y.
And you're describing me as well...traveling on a Lufthansa flight from LUX last winter.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Would you mind elaborating for those 2 points ?
Just my little joke since there are two people called Alex here. "Alex the easyJet captain" is an annoying feature on the LGW transit, not least since the voice belongs to someone who does a number of advertising packages, and I suspect hasn't been on easyJet for a very long time. BA's flight crew tend to give fairly good commentary on what is going on, you sometimes get it on U2 too, but you typically won't on FR.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:32 am
Suspended

Btw Alex the easyJet captain on the LGW transit has been replaced by a lady captain.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Serious question. The seat was small compared with what?
Any other coach seat I have ever been in on any other airline. I swear it felt more cramped then an ER 175.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cruisr
Any other coach seat I have ever been in on any other airline. I swear it felt more cramped then an ER 175.
It is isn't it? I believe the ER seats are a little wider than the typical A320 series ones. I think the 737 seats are typically a little narrower than the A320 ones.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:00 am

I fly both and basically the difference comes down to two things for me. Lounge for BA, punctuality for LCC.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
My next flight options... Inverness to London... 24/5
BA late morning flight, (LHR) EZY early afternoon. (LGW)
EZY allows a full mornings work.
Hand baggage only one way
Easy jet less than £20 paid.
BA offered at £123
Seat selection fee £9.99 easyJet for exit seat with priority boarding.
Option to pay for lounge but I won't because I will be at INV only 40 mins before.
Unsure if status gets you in lounge with BA.
BA only win on this route for me if I am flying onwards via LHR
- and even then KLM is now a better option.
The above maybe a snapshot but in my experience it is similar every time -and I travel regularly.
No contest.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:22 am

Living in West London, Heathrow is my airport of choice and BA has generally been my preference but after recent changes, I now use competitors who offer a better on board product in Europe. I think people fly BA out of brand loyalty and a sense of buying into a superior or VIP product, which is a nostalgic and misjudged view. Customers have choices but reluctantly move out of their comfort zones.

But for anyone who chooses to continue to fly BA at a higher price, accept that this is now the new model and lower your expectations slightly. Your free G and T in Euro Traveller is the past. Move on or choose an alternative carrier. I don't like the "new" BA but they make their product clear and I have the choice.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:28 am

I pay for my own fares, in economy. I used to prefer BA over easy. Now it's purely down to time and price on the route I need to use. Easy seem to have the edge these days in boarding logistics, and are far more efficient at BoB sales.
Main reason for me to use BA is I'm still willing to pay a premium to fly into LCY when that's an option on my route, LCY is just so much quicker to get out of than any other London airport.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
My next flight options... Inverness to London... 24/5
INV does give lounge access to oneworld Sapphires and Emeralds, quite a nice lounge actually, though not much food.

It's also one of those places where they try to get Priority Boarding queued up well before the aircraft arrives, the area they use is around a corner, so you can't see where the end of Priority Boarding has got to. I would still sit out out rather than stand for 20 minutes, but the risk at that point is that the 70 bag maxima is reached before you get to the gate. easyJet also lands in LGW North, to which I'm happy to say "good riddance"!

But yes, there is no getting around flight timing, which goes in easyJet's favour, which is unusual, but is also the reason I end up going on the orange one.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
This is simply not true as a general statement. BA may be more expensive on the route that you fly, on the day and time of the day that you fly, on the day when you buy your ticket but millions of other passengers find BA's prices very competitive.
And ...millions don't.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by nivsy
And ...millions don't.
And that's OK, because BA can't fly everyone and those millions flying on other carriers mean there is capacity available on BA flights and it also provides more competition.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:48 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just my little joke since there are two people called Alex here. "Alex the easyJet captain" is an annoying feature on the LGW transit, not least since the voice belongs to someone who does a number of advertising packages, and I suspect hasn't been on easyJet for a very long time. BA's flight crew tend to give fairly good commentary on what is going on, you sometimes get it on U2 too, but you typically won't on FR.
Thanks, I suspected a joke but I was really scratching my head for that one.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Wow, BA doesn't offer soft drinks on this flight? I'm not a BA flyer, but as an AC flyer, they offer soft drinks on short flights. Despite this flight being just an hour I'm quite surprised.

Is this just a symptom of how short the flight is, or does say LHR-ZAG also not have free soft drinks?

I had a full hot meal and 2 beers on LH from MUC-LIS last month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.