Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BCN passport control delays

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by robiles
Passport contoll entering BCN today was crazy. If you were not a EU e-passport holder the queues looked welll over an hour possibly more.

Took us avout 20mins with uk e-passport but then out luggage belt had the previous two flights of luggage on and around it. Took a while again the place was chaos. Glad I saw post about departures I had not thought about that anyone had any experience with BCN priority security recently as we are flying club Europe.

Yesterday we arrived at the airport at 16.30 for the 19.00 departure and were sitting in the lounge 20 mins after arriving and that was after checking in bags too. It must be very hit and miss with timings!
Old May 11, 2017, 1:49 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

There is also a travel advisory on ba.com warning of 'extra immigration checks' when travelling to/from Italy this month because of the G7 Summit: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...b?p_faqid=5742

Interestingly, according to BA's advice, 'if possible travel with your passport rather than an EU National ID Card'.

As I mentioned earlier in post 82, due to the new EU Regulation requiring systemic checks of all EU citizens' passport/ID card against relevant databases when entering/leaving Schengen, border crossing points in Italy and Greece would be particularly affected (as Italian paper booklet ID cards and Greek ID cards aren't machine-readable). BLQ, FCO and NAP have e-passport gates (so at these airports, using an e-passport could potentially mean a shorter queue). However, at airports without e-passport gates, I don't think (in theory) EU citizens would be delayed by presenting their machine-readable national ID card rather than their passport as both documents can be scanned by the border officer with the same ease.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by simonspear
Yesterday we arrived at the airport at 16.30 for the 19.00 departure and were sitting in the lounge 20 mins after arriving and that was after checking in bags too. It must be very hit and miss with timings!
I believe the mornings are the worst when you have all the US flights departing.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by justforfun
I believe the mornings are the worst when you have all the US flights departing.
It's worse earlier in the day than later in the day.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Was not as bad as we feared we sailed through fast track and the normal line look quite quiet too. As we got hear a little early managed to get a little power nap on a day bed in the VIP lounge. Rest of lounge fairly busy but it was virtually empty.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: Qantas, BA gold, SPG gold
"Chronic delays at passport controls" at the airport is the main story on the front page of the leading Barcelona newspaper, La Vanguardia, today.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
absolutely no issue yesterday, no queue at passport control, sailed straight through. security (no fast track) took 5mins, passport control took about 30secs. i had read about the issues here, so had arrived at the airport very early - there was no need!
Old May 16, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Qantas, BA gold, SPG gold
"No need" is potentially very misleading as BA now send a text alert the day before departure from BCN asking you to "please ensure you are at passport control at least 90 minutes before departure".
Old May 16, 2017, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Msclelovr
"No need" is potentially very misleading as BA now send a text alert the day before departure from BCN asking you to "please ensure you are at passport control at least 90 minutes before departure".
just to say I had seen information about the text alerts from BA on here so I asked them directly as I had no such alert and they were not aware that they had been sending out any alerts.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Msclelovr
There was no need to arrive early in my case. i am sure other travellers are able to determine their own travel timings based on the variety of information in this thread and will not feel mislead by my personal experience, which was all the more surprising given I expected the many attendees of the Spanish GP to have been leaving BCN yesterday. No so, apparently.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by robiles
just to say I had seen information about the text alerts from BA on here so I asked them directly as I had no such alert and they were not aware that they had been sending out any alerts.
That made me chuckle for some reason.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That made me chuckle for some reason.
right arm and left arm springs to mind.
Old May 18, 2017, 3:58 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Arrived yesterday morning and the non EU queue was literally hundreds deep. The EU queue was minimal but the scanners were playing up, but 5 minutes and I was through. Heeding the BA SMS message, I arrived early and was through in 20 seconds....YMMV.
Just wondering which line we will have to be in post Brexit....
Old May 18, 2017, 5:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Beano HK
Arrived yesterday morning and the non EU queue was literally hundreds deep. The EU queue was minimal but the scanners were playing up, but 5 minutes and I was through. Heeding the BA SMS message, I arrived early and was through in 20 seconds....YMMV.
Just wondering which line we will have to be in post Brexit....
The EU line includes some non-EU citizens too, so it'll probably end up being the EU line still, at least eventually.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
There was an article in one of the papers recently that the Barcelona government is trying to decrease tourism. Guess that's a tough way of doing it
as if the unwillingness of Barcelona's authorities to deal with their notorious pickpockets and muggers, endemic for years, wasnt enough to put tourists off. Another blight on a beautiful city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.