Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you take food into the lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
Can you take food into the lounges?

I know there are a few threads about taking food out of the lounge lol (seriously why would you). But what about taking food in?

See, I happen to love Wagamamas and think it's way better than whats on offer in the lounges. But I'd rather sit in the lounge to eat it. I know they do "takeaway" style cartons. Can you take food in with you? Not silver yet but panning ahead. Will be spending a lot of time in T5 next year.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not sure there is anything to stop you.

Why don't you want to eat in Wagamamas?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Why would you?

Sit in Wagamamas and eat, with all the proper plates, cutlery and condiments and then go to the lounge.

I'm not sure what fantasyland you think awaits in the lounge, but most of the time it'll be busier in there than Wagamamas.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
I've definitely seen people eating their own food from plastic containers. You can't stop people with specific needs (medical or personal lifestyle choice) from doing their own thing.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Why would you?

Sit in Wagamamas and eat, with all the proper plates, cutlery and condiments and then go to the lounge.

I'm not sure what fantasyland you think awaits in the lounge, but most of the time it'll be busier in there than Wagamamas.
Perhaps the OP would like a drink with their Wagamama's, provided for free in the lounge
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:48 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm sure no-one would stop you, but the fact that it's simply not seen with any degree of regularity would suggest that the vast majority of people don't find it necessary. That would imply that the provisions in the lounge - for free - outweigh those from a restaurant.

Rather than worry about what might happen next year, I would personally give the various lounges around the world a chance before deciding on the best course for each location - LHR will certainly be better than TXL! Silver is very much a sweet spot in the BAEC hierarchy - why not enjoy the surprises and joys it will bring compared to the terminal rather than overplan so far in advance?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Apr 27, 2017 at 7:25 am
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Just can't abide the bench seats and communal eating in Wagamamas. Would rather eat it in the lounge. But yeah, no major difficulty in eating it there.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Perhaps the OP would like a drink with their Wagamama's, provided for free in the lounge
I'm not sure struggling to eat a half cold Wagamamas out of a takeaway box is worth a free drink, but each to their own.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

I'm not sure struggling to eat a half cold Wagamamas out of a takeaway box is worth a free drink, but each to their own.
I don't drink lol.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
No maybe not, but some Itsu Salmon Sushi in the lounge with a nice drink sounds good to me!
In fact I saw a picture a BA pilot posted in the A380 flightdeck of him enjoying some Itsu! I guess if you fly BA everyday for a living as crew you get quickly bored of the meals.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
why not enjoy the surprises and joys it will bring compared to the terminal rather than overplan so far in advance?
Very good point.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
No maybe not, but some Itsu Salmon Sushi in the lounge with a nice drink sounds good to me!
In fact I saw a picture a BA pilot posted in the A380 flightdeck of him enjoying some Itsu! I guess if you fly BA everyday for a living as crew you get quickly bored of the meals.
I'm not sure I want my pilot eating raw fish whilst on board - but maybe I've just seen Airplane too many times!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
You can. I have done this before, using the vouchers provided by airlines (when delayed), purchased something I really like and take the container into lounge, never had any problems.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's not an issue. I used to frequently buy a sushi box from Itso in T5 (before it moved), en route to the lounge.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by beany_bot
Just can't abide the bench seats and communal eating in Wagamamas. Would rather eat it in the lounge. But yeah, no major difficulty in eating it there.
It's been a while since I was in Galleries South, but i'm fairly sure that the main dining area is communal long bench seating....and most other seating is "sitting room" style, which is definitely sub-optimal for eating at.

I think in an airport unless you are going to a proper restaurant (e.g. Plane Food) or have access to a proper lounge (e.g. CX F/CCR) then the table set up/location isn't going to be amazing. Even in the Galleries First lounge I order a burger to eat on the terrace. I only eat near the buffet when I "dine and dash". It's gloomy and depressing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.