Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tax change for Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Tax change for Upgrade

I booked today a WTP fare to Miami and upgraded it to Club with Avios. Usually this will cost me between 50€ to 70€ in addtional taxes. This time BA charges me 240€ in add. taxes. This makes this form of upgrade useless.
Is there really such a big difference in taxes between WTP and Club?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Originally Posted by Edgar_Schulz
I booked today a WTP fare to Miami and upgraded it to Club with Avios. Usually this will cost me between 50€ to 70€ in addtional taxes. This time BA charges me 240€ in add. taxes. This makes this form of upgrade useless.
Is there really such a big difference in taxes between WTP and Club?
Do you have a UK stopover (or connection >24hrs) on the itinerary? That difference seems APD related on the face of it.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
In order for us to know if it is correct you need to tell us the entire route you have booked. In this the return of a MIA-LHR-MIA WTP only or part of something else involving connecting flights?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The difference is taxes, fees, and carrier surcharge. When upgrading WTP to CW it is usually the carrier surcharge which is the main difference and the 50€ to 70€ range you quote is not untypical. However, if your WTP fare is a Dual Inventory Fares (DIF) then the differences can be more and may well be in the 240€ range.

Some more information on DIFs here:
Why can't I find this ba.com fare on ITA Matrix?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ount-code.html
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
DIFs can be very variable.

It definitely isn't UK APD related (unless there is a stopover before a short-haul departure out of the UK) because the actual tax is the same for all cabins except WT.

£240 sounds very high, although plausible for a return. (My record is £216 return, but I have paid as little as £20 for a return). There is no hard and fast rule - it all depends on how much of the WTP fare is made up of taxes, fees and charges, compared to the equivalent CW fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.