Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
US may extend laptop ban to UK flights

Title says it all according to this article
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...om-uk-airports
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:53 am

If this were to happen, I can see it going down like a lead balloon amongst fliers, and being somewhat challenging to our otherwise friendly diplomatic relations with the US.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
"It was not immediately clear why US authorities might want to extend the ban on taking electronic devices such as tablets, e-readers and laptops to flights from European airports."

The US and UK have always cooperated closely on security, but Trump gonna Trump.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
What I don't get is why they don't extend explosive testing NOW to notebooks if they believe their is a threat. This seems as if someone is overthinking. If it is a valid threat, why delay into a full ban and not start 100% explosive swab screening on notebooks right away. Just seems to be people in a room "reaching" vs working real data that should be acted upon a bit quicker. I guess the 1% Trump crowd has their private jets so doesn't affect them.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Also difficult and expensive to enforce regardless of the logic to the ban in the first place. Airlines don't want Lithium batteries in the hold but every laptop contains one. Ban them from the cabin and what are you going to do?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
What I don't get is why they don't extend explosive testing NOW to notebooks if they believe their is a threat. This seems as if someone is overthinking. If it is a valid threat, why delay into a full ban and not start 100% explosive swab screening on notebooks right away. Just seems to be people in a room "reaching" vs working real data that should be acted upon a bit quicker. I guess the 1% Trump crowd has their private jets so doesn't affect them.
I disagree with this, no need for 100% swabbing, just need to profile people and pull the high risk into secondary screening.
Also no need for the 1% trump pun, this is not political forum and has no bearing on the topic.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:56 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I disagree with this, no need for 100% swabbing, just need to profile people and pull the high risk into secondary screening.
Also no need for the 1% trump pun, this is not political forum and has no bearing on the topic.
Oh yes, nothing like a bit of ethnic profiling which is what that'd mean
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Well...

Not according to the TSA as reported on Bloomberg several days ago..
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...o-u-k-airports
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
When did the Times become such a dreadful rag ? Its descent from Newspaper of Record to Chip Wrapper seems to have crept up on me (a bit like Club "I wouldn't be seen dead in" Europe). Very sad
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
I hope it doesn't go that way. I know this is a BA forum but I flew AA last week and thanks to their inflight wifi I managed to get a whole lot of work done on my MacBook. Would this put the brakes on BA rolling out onboard wifi if it were to happen.
I also don't like the idea of all those lithium ion batteries in the hold.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Wow; unless you have deep data mining your approach of "the brown guy" there will be useless. Ever seen arab people who look pure white? Ever seen white people who are into Islamic extremist groups? A great way to have someone commit an atrocity is to fall for "selective screening"
Old May 10, 2017, 11:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Based on reports on various news outlets and blogs today, it seems there may be an announcement on this tomorrow.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Based on reports on various news outlets and blogs today, it seems there may be an announcement on this tomorrow.
Yeh, I read that too. It might also be Europe-wide and not limited to the UK only.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by florens
Yeh, I read that too. It might also be Europe-wide and not limited to the UK only.
would be more of an annoyance if I wasn't boycotting the US until late January 2021. Wonder how easy it is to transit via Canada without bumping fares up massively...
Old May 11, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm not loving the safety implications of this. First off, it seems likely that an explosive device could still be triggered remotely when in the cargo hold.

Further, incidents of laptop fires and so on would now occur in the cargo hold rather than the cabin.
The FAA issued a warning recently on not transporting lithium batteries in checked baggage.
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia.../safo15010.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.