Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US may extend laptop ban to UK flights

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
unless they include US domestic flights it makes no sense at all.
US domestic, that's where the terrorits had their greatest hits.
I interpret 'Worldwide' in this context to mean all flights to the US. Not domestic US flights, not domestic UK flights, not flights from ARN to LHR or the other way round.

But let's see.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
So can someone explain to me why a laptop placed in the hold is safer than one in a carry-on?
Old May 19, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by catandmouse
So can someone explain to me why a laptop placed in the hold is safer than one in a carry-on?
It can't be held against the wall of the aircraft, so it's a bit of a lottery what it would hit, and might just make a bang inside a freight container.

Obviously there are other problems (harder to put out a fire, other batteries in the hold that could also ignite etc), but that is the theory as I understand it.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by catandmouse
And whilst on the subject, why a domestic flight is less safe than an international flight.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
And whilst on the subject, why a domestic flight is less safe than an international flight.
Cos a domestic flight starts within the US, where there are only Good People, with Good Laptops, and Good E-readers, ok? International flights start in foreign countries, where there are Bad People, with Bad Laptops and Bad E-readers.

I think that's what it said on Trump's briefing notes...
Old May 21, 2017, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Deltus
Cos a domestic flight starts within the US, where there are only Good People, with Good Laptops, and Good E-readers, ok? International flights start in foreign countries, where there are Bad People, with Bad Laptops and Bad E-readers.

I think that's what it said on Trump's briefing notes...
They do, and when they arrive in the USA those Bad People collect their checked-in Bad Laptops and Bad E-readers and carry them straight on to their connecting domestic flights.

Simples?
Old May 21, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
They do, and when they arrive in the USA those Bad People collect their checked-in Bad Laptops and Bad E-readers and carry them straight on to their connecting domestic flights.

Simples?
Nicely put. ^
Old May 29, 2017, 12:00 am

Here's an interview with John Kelly from May 28th, at 08:30 an onwards is about airport
security and a possible laptop ban.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...s-into-us.html
Old May 31, 2017, 12:10 am

DHS: No European laptop ban for now

“No ban,” a European Commission official said after a conference call Tuesday between U.S. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly and two of his European counterparts. “Both sides have agreed to intensify technical talks and try to find a common solution.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...38939?cmpid=sf
Old May 31, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Deltus
It can't be held against the wall of the aircraft, so it's a bit of a lottery what it would hit, and might just make a bang inside a freight container.
Yes up to a point, it does not change the fact that no one has successfully brought down an airliner from the cabin while a number have been brought down by bombs in the hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.