Wiki Posts
Search

Long haul Buy on Board?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
Long haul Buy on Board?

I know that there were suggestions in a recent interview that Buy on Board was being considered for Long haul but I can't see an announcement anywhere. Yet it is appearing as the catering option in Y on flights from Tampa in November:

An I.T. glitch or sign of an imminent announcement?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
can't see your link, but you have been able to purchase "improved" meals in economy for some time (although ex LHR and Tampa not on the list)

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...economy-dining
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
can't see your link, but you have been able to purchase "improved" meals in economy for some time
sorry struggling to upload my screen shot but it definitely says "M&S Food sold on board". Click on the flight number on flights from Tampa in November and this message pops up along with the selling classes for each cabin.

Here's a link to Flickr image of my screen: https://www.flickr.com/gp/154011586@N07/X8r707
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Given they can't even sort the loads on short haul this is a long way off.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesjebell
sorry struggling to upload my screen shot but it definitely says "M&S Food sold on board". Click on the flight number on flights from Tampa in November and this message pops up along with the selling classes for each cabin.

Here's a link to Flickr image of my screen: https://www.flickr.com/gp/154011586@N07/X8r707
Oh dear. The downward road continues.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by jamesjebell
An I.T. glitch or sign of an imminent announcement?
Definitely the former.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
Definitely the former.
I tried to replicate bookings to some other LGX routes but it only appears on the TPA-LGW (tried MCI, BGI, UVF). Might be a glitch or a trial on one route.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Confirmed by Alex Cruz that this us a mistake and they hope to remove it overnight.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Confirmed by Alex Cruz that this us a mistake and they hope to remove it overnight.
Hope to remove catering on overnight flights or hope overnight to remove catering on flights?!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:31 pm

A mistake as in we're not supposed to know about it yet?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by 1010101
A mistake as in we're not supposed to know about it yet?
Well, it does raise an eyebrow that the CEO would comment so specifically on this one IT glitch (when they have so many to choose from), but I guess it's also a touchy subject given recent speculation.

Easy to see demons everywhere in the BA customer proposition these days, but there does feel like there is a certain inevitability about this. The Rubicon has been crossed in short haul. It's not such a big step to do this, and a trial from LGW, where they are generally following Norwegian's lead in long haul Y strategy, would hardly be the shock of the century. The now established path of devaluing the "complimentary" offering and then saying that customers are "asking for improved choice and quality", could easily be followed.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The pot is empty.

But I must have water.....

Its not our fault you have no credit card.

But...but its seven hours to London....

Quit your whining....at least you have a seat.

For now. <evil cackling>
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by smokie36
Given they can't even sort the loads on short haul this is a long way off.
I don't think logistics are part of it. Cruz and Walsh have made themselves very clear at events that they want money. If half a 767 doesn't get served to Athens or no food is loaded, that's a saving to the airline rather than an issue. This is BA's new strategic direction and long haul is next, especially LGW leisure routes.

What we need to expect in the next few months is a gradual worsening of Y long haul meals so the airline can claim passengers wanted to buy food on board.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The difference with SH and LH is that no major legacy carrier that I can think of operates BoB in LH, whereas plenty do it on SH, in one way or another. Much as I am sure Cruz would love to do it, I would be very surprised if BoB was rolled out in LH any time soon.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
The difference with SH and LH is that no major legacy carrier that I can think of operates BoB in LH, whereas plenty do it on SH, in one way or another. Much as I am sure Cruz would love to do it, I would be very surprised if BoB was rolled out in LH any time soon.
I am sure it will be rolled out for services less than 08h30 that have the ambient snack as a second service. Everyone is complaining about the lack of food. I am sure they'll come up with some sort of BoB saying that customers wanted choice. It is again the same strategy, make the service awful and then introduce enhancements as a way of grabbing more money from miserable loyal customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.