Go Back   > > >

Old Apr 21, 17, 8:52 am   #1
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Uber 5.0 :D
Slightly nerdy refund question...

This is not really material (the total amount at issue is about 70) but I'm just curious, so please skip to next thread if of no interest...

The story so far: I bought a single SVG-LHR, LHR-AMS in CE. I flew the SVG-LHR sector but now can't use the LHR-AMS one. I have the option to change the ticket for a 100 fee and there's loads of availability.

However, I was wondering how much I would receive if I now cancelled the remaining portion (on the basis that all I would get back is "any government & airport taxes" ...)

Price breakdown as follows (all values NOK):

1668.00 Fare
-------------
..........1668.00 Sub-total Fare

...80.00 G2AP
..110.00 Passenger Charge - Norway
..279.00 Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom
..265.00 Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom
----------------
.........734.00 Sub-total Government, authority and airport charges

10.00 ba.com booking fee
----------------
10.00 Sub-total British Airways fees and surcharges

=======
2412.00 TOTAL PAID
=======
Fitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:37 am   #2

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Blue, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
...I was wondering how much I would receive if I now cancelled the remaining portion (on the basis that all I would get back is "any government & airport taxes" ...)
The NOK80.00G2 and NOK110.00ZN were used when you departed SVG. That leaves the NOK279.00UB and NOK265.00GB as unused: a total of NOK544.00, less any processing fee BA may deduct.
JAXBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 9:46 am   #3

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
out of interest, would they reprice the ticket as a SVG-LHR before sorting the refund?
(Looks like a SVG-LHR one way CE is about 800NOK more expensive than the SVG-LHR-AMS)
caz312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 10:06 am   #4

Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Blue, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
They could do, but I'm not actually seeing any SVG-AMS fares (except IATA level) so was assuming it was constructed as SVG-LHR + LHR-AMS. If it's not sector fares combined end-on-end and SVG-LHR is more than SVG-AMS then yes, the fare would be recalculated first. If that wiped out the residual taxes then that would be the end of it; nothing refunded, nothing charged.
JAXBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 17, 2:08 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caz312 View Post
out of interest, would they reprice the ticket as a SVG-LHR before sorting the refund?
(Looks like a SVG-LHR one way CE is about 800NOK more expensive than the SVG-LHR-AMS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAXBA View Post
They could do, but I'm not actually seeing any SVG-AMS fares (except IATA level) so was assuming it was constructed as SVG-LHR + LHR-AMS. If it's not sector fares combined end-on-end and SVG-LHR is more than SVG-AMS then yes, the fare would be recalculated first. If that wiped out the residual taxes then that would be the end of it; nothing refunded, nothing charged.
Yesterday I noticed something odd with the fares but haven't had time to look at this until now.

It looks like SVG-LHR one-way is priced using a D class fare (DV3HO at NOK 3016, at least on the random date in September that I picked). A combination of two D class fares is used if you book a simple SVG-LHR-AMS without a stop in London.

However if you price SVG-LHR and LHR-AMS, inserting a Saturday night between the two sectors, the itinerary will price using I class fares for both sectors. On random dates in September, I got IAPLON (NOK 1082) and IM0R (NOK 752) - total NOK 1834, which is significantly less than the one-way D class fare for SVG-LHR.

Given the numbers in the OP's post (particularly the total fare charged of NOK 1668), it seems likely that their ticket was constructed using two I class fares like this.

From what JAXBA says, it does then look like there's no point asking for a refund if there would be a reprice.
Globaliser is offline   Reply With Quote