Wiki Posts
Search

Slightly nerdy refund question...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Slightly nerdy refund question...

This is not really material (the total amount at issue is about £70) but I'm just curious, so please skip to next thread if of no interest...

The story so far: I bought a single SVG-LHR, LHR-AMS in CE. I flew the SVG-LHR sector but now can't use the LHR-AMS one. I have the option to change the ticket for a £100 fee and there's loads of availability.

However, I was wondering how much I would receive if I now cancelled the remaining portion (on the basis that all I would get back is "any government & airport taxes" ...)

Price breakdown as follows (all values NOK):

1668.00 Fare
-------------
..........1668.00 Sub-total Fare

...80.00 G2AP
..110.00 Passenger Charge - Norway
..279.00 Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom
..265.00 Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom
----------------
.........734.00 Sub-total Government, authority and airport charges

10.00 ba.com booking fee
----------------
10.00 Sub-total British Airways fees and surcharges

=======
2412.00 TOTAL PAID
=======
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Fitch
...I was wondering how much I would receive if I now cancelled the remaining portion (on the basis that all I would get back is "any government & airport taxes" ...)
The NOK80.00G2 and NOK110.00ZN were used when you departed SVG. That leaves the NOK279.00UB and NOK265.00GB as unused: a total of NOK544.00, less any processing fee BA may deduct.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:46 am

out of interest, would they reprice the ticket as a SVG-LHR before sorting the refund?
(Looks like a SVG-LHR one way CE is about 800NOK more expensive than the SVG-LHR-AMS)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
They could do, but I'm not actually seeing any SVG-AMS fares (except IATA level) so was assuming it was constructed as SVG-LHR + LHR-AMS. If it's not sector fares combined end-on-end and SVG-LHR is more than SVG-AMS then yes, the fare would be recalculated first. If that wiped out the residual taxes then that would be the end of it; nothing refunded, nothing charged.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by caz312
out of interest, would they reprice the ticket as a SVG-LHR before sorting the refund?
(Looks like a SVG-LHR one way CE is about 800NOK more expensive than the SVG-LHR-AMS)
Originally Posted by JAXBA
They could do, but I'm not actually seeing any SVG-AMS fares (except IATA level) so was assuming it was constructed as SVG-LHR + LHR-AMS. If it's not sector fares combined end-on-end and SVG-LHR is more than SVG-AMS then yes, the fare would be recalculated first. If that wiped out the residual taxes then that would be the end of it; nothing refunded, nothing charged.
Yesterday I noticed something odd with the fares but haven't had time to look at this until now.

It looks like SVG-LHR one-way is priced using a D class fare (DV3HO at NOK 3016, at least on the random date in September that I picked). A combination of two D class fares is used if you book a simple SVG-LHR-AMS without a stop in London.

However if you price SVG-LHR and LHR-AMS, inserting a Saturday night between the two sectors, the itinerary will price using I class fares for both sectors. On random dates in September, I got IAPLON (NOK 1082) and IM0R (NOK 752) - total NOK 1834, which is significantly less than the one-way D class fare for SVG-LHR.

Given the numbers in the OP's post (particularly the total fare charged of NOK 1668), it seems likely that their ticket was constructed using two I class fares like this.

From what JAXBA says, it does then look like there's no point asking for a refund if there would be a reprice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.