Wiki Posts
Search

Question on using Jokers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Question on using Jokers

I need to book a flight for my brother and his wife. I want to pay for one ticket with money and the other with Avios. I am told that I will need two Jokers for this. I imagine they know what they are talking about on the GGL line but just wanted a reality check here.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by mjack99
I need to book a flight for my brother and his wife. I want to pay for one ticket with money and the other with Avios. I am told that I will need two Jokers for this. I imagine they know what they are talking about on the GGL line but just wanted a reality check here.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure why you need a joker for the cash ticket unless it's a cash and then upgrade with Avios? It would be two jokers in that case because cash and pure avios bookings cannot be on the same PNR. It might be better to make them both cash bookings with avios to upgrade and then it would just use one joker, or avios for both?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Yes sorry to be more precise, I want to book in WT+ and use 2 GUF1 to Club. So my original plan was indeed to buy two WT+ in cash and upgrade but that is proving to be a bit expensive. So I was going the split booking route till I found out I need two Jokers.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Yes sorry to be more precise, I want to book in WT+ and use 2 GUF1 to Club. So my original plan was indeed to buy two WT+ in cash and upgrade but that is proving to be a bit expensive. So I was going the split booking route till I found out I need two Jokers.
Not sure of the answer but is part-paying with Avios for the two tickets on the same PNR an option? This may reduce the cash component down but I'm unsure whether you could use the Joker with it. Do shoot the messenger if that's not a choice!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obduro
Not sure of the answer but is part-paying with Avios for the two tickets on the same PNR an option? This may reduce the cash component down but I'm unsure whether you could use the Joker with it. Do shoot the messenger if that's not a choice!
Unfortunately that is the same as buying WT+ and upgrading with GUF1. Actually, my experience of part-pay is that it is very expensive because you have to buy a full price ticket whereas the former option I can use the GUF1 on any kind of ticket. Btw, you can't do a two class upgrade using Avios and GUF1.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Actually, my experience of part-pay is that it is very expensive because you have to buy a full price ticket.
This is factually incorrect, part-pay is available on any BA ticket, not just the full fare ones.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
This is factually incorrect, part-pay is available on any BA ticket, not just the full fare ones.
Ok
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: GGL
Are you, the OP, flying as well?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mixbury
Are you, the OP, flying as well?
Unfortunately not.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
you could try to book the WTP ticket via a TA and use the GUF which means no joker required. Not sure if the 'GUF owner' needs to be on the ticket though.

you can then use the joker for the Avios ticket.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Chris1979. Do TAs have better availability for a GUF1 than BA? I mean, I need the Joker for the commercial ticket because it is upgrading from WT+ to Club and there is no normal availability on the dates needed.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by chris1979
you could try to book the WTP ticket via a TA and use the GUF which means no joker required. Not sure if the 'GUF owner' needs to be on the ticket though.

you can then use the joker for the Avios ticket.
The GUF owner must be travelling.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Thanks, Chris1979. Do TAs have better availability for a GUF1 than BA? I mean, I need the Joker for the commercial ticket because it is upgrading from WT+ to Club and there is no normal availability on the dates needed.
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
The GUF owner must be travelling.
so it wont work if you are not travelling.

but for future reference, a TA GUF booking does not need reward space - it books into A for First (and think D for J) so all you need is availability in those classes. if you use a GUF direct with BA, you'll need Avios / reward availability.

as answered by TabTraveller though, that only works when you travel as well (but worth remembering for future trips)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: GGL
Unfortunately not.
Maybe I am about to learn something useful here, but I thought the joker owner had to be on the ticket?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Originally Posted by chris1979
so it wont work if you are not travelling.

but for future reference, a TA GUF booking does not need reward space - it books into A for First (and think D for J) so all you need is availability in those classes. if you use a GUF direct with BA, you'll need Avios / reward availability.

as answered by TabTraveller though, that only works when you travel as well (but worth remembering for future trips)
It books into I for business, not D. Makes it a bit harder to use. I'm a travel agent, I book GUFs all the time for friends this way (mostly J->A though, as there's no increased taxes. The difference in taxes, and high cost of W, makes W-J not that great a use of GUFs in my experience).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.