Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Exactly this. It is policy - I've been told this several times by contact centre staff - I've never had to ask for the fee to be waived, and I even have it confirmed in writing that it is policy.
Happy to correct in that case - it was the "in writing" point I needed. Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by obduro
Happy to correct in that case - it was the "in writing" point I needed. Thanks!
I only have it in an email - and we know that such information is not always reliable but in my limited experience this does seem to be a fairly well known policy.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I only have it in an email - and we know that such information is not always reliable but in my limited experience this does seem to be a fairly well known policy.
That's enough for me - if they are prepared to put it in writing to someone, it's obviously in writing somewhere in Waterside.

Added a few more FAQs - up to 32 now. ^
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by obduro
You do still have to pay the fees for the redemption on an Amex though!
Great work obduro - is it worth stating that the fees need to be paid with an AmEx (although not necessarily a BA AmEx) as in the wiki I think you say it needs to be paid in "cash" - I know what you mean, but some others may cancel the AmEx and then not be able to pay the taxes/charges, which I believe do need to be paid on an AmEx rather than any other card.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Excellent resource Thread/Wiki ... well done ^

I can imagine new users of a 241 being much comforted by this collation of info.
Spot on Uncle T, and as a 2-4-1 newbie this is invaluable (as long as I can find it again later!).

Thanks OP

DC

P.S. I know my post contributes nothing to the thread but just wanted to add my thanks to the OP for the significant effort made, not forgetting those who have also added to the thread
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by dc0000
Spot on Uncle T, and as a 2-4-1 newbie this is invaluable (as long as I can find it again later!).
In the dashboard there is currently a link to the general BAPP AMEX card that links to the following thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...edit-card.html

Would it be advantageous to have a link to this thread from the dashboard or the wiki in the AMEX thread itself? @Prospero
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by madfish
Would it be advantageous to have a link to this thread from the dashboard or the wiki in the AMEX thread itself? @Prospero
Your wish is my command

Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Great work obduro - is it worth stating that the fees need to be paid with an AmEx (although not necessarily a BA AmEx) as in the wiki I think you say it needs to be paid in "cash" - I know what you mean, but some others may cancel the AmEx and then not be able to pay the taxes/charges, which I believe do need to be paid on an AmEx rather than any other card.
Got you covered, thank you!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by louie-m
I was under the impression that it IS policy to waive the fee if the return was beyond the booking window when you booked the outbound. So if you booked the outbound at T-355 and later added the return it would be waived, but if you booked the outbound at say T-50 and then booked the return for T-60 a few days later then the fee would not be waived.
This is correct; recently booked LGW - BGI outbound at T-355 and booked return online a week later at 1am using Avios. I called the next morning and had 2-4-1 applied to return flight with no fee charged. Although, did need to hang up and redial as the first India based agent didn't have a clue but second one put me through to a UK based agent who was, obviously, used to the procedure.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by JasGIll
This is correct; recently booked LGW - BGI outbound at T-355 and booked return online a week later at 1am using Avios. I called the next morning and had 2-4-1 applied to return flight with no fee charged. Although, did need to hang up and redial as the first India based agent didn't have a clue but second one put me through to a UK based agent who was, obviously, used to the procedure.
Not unusual I fear (that the agents know this can be done). A work colleague had exactly the same recently - first agent said that a second flight could not be added. I told him to call back and another agent added the second flight without any problem or charge.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:03 am

This is a very useful pool of information. Thank you to all who have contributed.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
I think it might be worth adding that a good strategy to get 2 companion vouchers a year is for someone else in the household account to get an Amex card too. Mrs Firstlight has a card with me as a supplementary cardholder and vice versa. We spend on one card to get the voucher then switch to the other. Of course you pay 2 fees but you get two vouchers which really helps use up the avios efficiently
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Blue, LY Matmid, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, CX Marco Polo
I know what the FAQ says, and I know that everyone says how unlikely it is but I am still nervous nonetheless!

We are booked in F on a 2-4-1 in just under 2 weeks on LHR-LAS. We are both lowly Blue members and will have bottom-of-the-barrel CIV scores. ExpertFlyer looks like this for our flight....

F1 A0 J2 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y1 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

Given there are still 13 days of selling left, do I have any justification to be nervous? This is a trip for a significant anniversary I have planned for a few years and saved all our Avios for so having issues with the flight will be very upsetting.

Looking for words of encouragement

Thanks

A406
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by A406toHeathrow
Given there are still 13 days of selling left, do I have any justification to be nervous?
Yes.

Unfortunately the recent trend of BA actively prioritising 241 vouchers for downgrade means that you do indeed have justification to be nervous. Which is absolutely disgusting for someone holding a confirmed First class ticket.

That being said, the actual risk of you being downgraded or bumped is incredibly low; despite the risk. I don't know the numbers, but there will be a decent number of people travelling on 241 vouchers every day without issue. So it's highly unlikely you'll have a problem, but unfortunately until you're sat in your seat you can't be 100%.

Which, as I said earlier, is absolutely appalling.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
There's two flights to LAS on three days plus the two daily to LAX. Have you check the other loads for the day you're flying to be safe ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.