Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA TP stitch up

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Surely the correct target for you here is Amex Travel, not any of the airlines? You paid Amex Travel for two flights in P class, and they did not provide you with two flights in P class. I'd pursue Amex Travel for breach of contract.
Um...they did...P on AA is the fare bucket often used for the instant upgrade fares. However, for the purposes of BAEC, instant upgrade fares credit just like any other first class fare.

Following the tier point earning changes, you should have been credited 280 tier points for this return journey. You're being fobbed off with excuses, push the issue and eventually BA will correctly credit the miles for you. All this will have been caused by the change within AA on the codes they use for domestic First service.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Can you believe this is the latest e mail received from Amex!!!

"Thank you for your reply. Having escalated the issue for you. I have received the below reply. As you will see they have advised that as you are referring to your Avios points held with British Airways, you must log onto the below website to collect the missing points on this occasion.

Web Site. https://www.britishairways.com/travel/redeem/execclub/_gf/en_gb

I regret that we are unable to do this for you."

Am I just banging my head against a brick wall? I have explained in detail what has gone wrong here and no one either understands or takes any notice. How is it everyone here is clear about the problem but neither Amex nor AA take any notice at all. I'm being sent in circles.

Any further advice would be very welcome.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Have you tried calling them? Telephone might be more successful than email maybe?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mrow
Um...they did...P on AA is the fare bucket often used for the instant upgrade fares.
​​​​​​​Did they? According to the OP, he ended up with one leg in I and one leg in C.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CC999
Am I just banging my head against a brick wall? I have explained in detail what has gone wrong here and no one either understands or takes any notice. How is it everyone here is clear about the problem but neither Amex nor AA take any notice at all. I'm being sent in circles.
Pick up the telephone, call BA Executive Club, explain that you

had a purchased ticket in 1st class on AA
after the change in January it was modified to business class
for some reason it has incorrectly reflected C class rather than a proper business class booking class

and see what the agent can do to try and resolve it

This was never something that American Express was ever going to be able to do and points crediting issues to BA is something that AA will not be able to help you with
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CC999
Any further advice would be very welcome.
My suggestion would to request AA (maybe Amex, but better dealing with AA direct) to inform you of the full fare basis (not just the booking code currently in the system) for the flights as paid for in your original booking. At least with this information you should be able to go back and get BA to agree as a next step that you purchased a fare for which they usually credit as a "first cabin".

Last edited by GinFizz; Apr 19, 2017 at 2:43 am Reason: changed to suggest talking with BA (rather than AA) after finding the fare basis (as per post #69 below)
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

This was never something that American Express was ever going to be able to do and points crediting issues to BA is something that AA will not be able to help you with
American Express should have caught the change when it happened and should have contacted AA about it.

AA is the only party that can resolve this. BAEC credits what AA tells it to credit. AA told BAEC that the OP travelled between A and B in Y class, and BAEC credited accordingly. Until AA has clarified that it incorrectly changed the booking class from P to C rather than from P to I and tells BAEC to credit the OP's account accordingly, the latter can't/won't do anything.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
American Express should have caught the change when it happened and should have contacted AA about it.

AA is the only party that can resolve this. BAEC credits what AA tells it to credit. AA told BAEC that the OP travelled between A and B in Y class, and BAEC credited accordingly. Until AA has clarified that it incorrectly changed the booking class from P to C rather than from P to I and tells BAEC to credit the OP's account accordingly, the latter can't/won't do anything.
The person is going to have to initiate the request to BA and get BA to check with AA - AA isn't going to initiate conversation with BA
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Pick up the telephone, call BA Executive Club, explain that you

had a purchased ticket in 1st class on AA
after the change in January it was modified to business class
for some reason it has incorrectly reflected C class rather than a proper business class booking class

and see what the agent can do to try and resolve it
I underline this advice. The guardian to TPs is BAEC. They will liaise with AA on your behalf, but you cannot get AA to do so directly, and pursuing Amex - as clearly indicated upthread - is a waste of your time.

Once you have made that call, there are escalations open to you, but it's best to do this one step at a time.

There may be a time to go back to Amex under Section 75, but let's get you to 280 TPs in the first instance.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
​​​​​​​Did they? According to the OP, he ended up with one leg in I and one leg in C.
C on a boarding pass doesn't mean a C fare. I've had this a few times on paid First fares and they've always credited correctly on AA's programme.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
To Deltus

I started the whole thing off by ringing BA who said initially it looks like something is amiss. After they were in contact with AA they came back and told me about the tickets not being proper First and had only been upgraded to First Class. As Amex had sold them to me as First Class tickets I went after them to explain and get the proper amount of TP's.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
May I re join this discussion and come at the issue from a different angle?

Clearly, the passenger flew in a seat/cabin described as "First". However, my issue (which I may not have put across eloquently enough), is that the passenger received an invoice from the travel company, describing the ticket as P Class. This may be a discounted F class, but it remains an F class ticket.

When the flight was changed, for what ever reason, the class of ticket changed to business and economy, resulting in the passenger receiving a free 1 class and 2 class upgrade. (I am sure it exists, but I have never come across a free 2 class upgrade before.

Some years ago, I purchased a J return, to Asia. The invoice I received quote a J fare, yet when I queries why I received no airmiles, found out the agent had sold me a ticket purchased thru airmiles.

I asked the agent to alter the invoice to reflect what I had purchased. He refused and I then refused to pay for the ticket - which by then I had already flown.

I know the circumstances are different, but surely an invoice should reflect the final product purchased.

For the record, when I queried with my insurance company afterwards, they confirmed they would have been a claims issue had I needed to change or reissue the ticket due to sickness as there is no value to an upgraded ticket.

I accept the circumstances are different, but my take on the OP's issue is that he was issued with a P class invoice and that is what he should have received, with the associated benefits. He may have travelled in the correct class, but that is not what the invoice shows.

Apologies if this issue is too wide from the OP's thread, but this is how I view the problem..
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Premier Owl
When the flight was changed, for what ever reason, the class of ticket changed to business and economy, resulting in the passenger receiving a free 1 class and 2 class upgrade. (I am sure it exists, but I have never come across a free 2 class upgrade before.
This is incorrect. There are only 2 classes of travel on the flight - 1st and Economy - there is no business class

In January, 1st class bookings on 2 class services were changed to use different booking classes

The P was changed to I

I is still 1st class on AA for 2 class domestic flights within USA

On international flights , 'I' is business class whilst on domestic flights it is 1st class

Also - the ticket had to be reissued because of this, which American Express did

The error the has occured is that one of the flights, has not credited as I class, bit for some reason credited as C class

It should be possible to determine from , either the ticket receipt or from American Express, what the booking class on ticket was. If it was 'I" , then should be easy to speak to BA, provide the proof and get the extra 70TPs

The much less likely situation (imo) is that AA incorrectly rebooked into C rather than I - which may require more work

Originally Posted by Premier Owl
Some years ago, I purchased a J return, to Asia. The invoice I received quote a J fare, yet when I queries why I received no airmiles, found out the agent had sold me a ticket purchased thru airmiles.

I asked the agent to alter the invoice to reflect what I had purchased. He refused and I then refused to pay for the ticket - which by then I had already flown.

For the record, when I queried with my insurance company afterwards, they confirmed they would have been a claims issue had I needed to change or reissue the ticket due to sickness as there is no value to an upgraded ticket.
That has no bearing to this ; this was not a ticket that was an award ticket that had been sold onwards. An award ticket reflects a fare of $0 and indeed has no value, though with most airlines, award tickets are fairly flexible and miles can be refunded on cancellation. e.g AA will refund miles subject to a $150 fee to deposit miles back into the account

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 19, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I had a similar situation with a missed connection on an AA flight credited to BAEC.
Original booked in "First" as A.
Reclassified on Jan 11 to D.
Rebooked after missed connection into coach as G.
Gate upgrade into "First" as C.

It was initially credited as 5 TP. I sent an online request to BA describing the situation and the credit was increased 20 TP. I replied with a request for reconsideration and pointed out that it should be 40 TP. After further contact with AA BAEC agreed. There did not seem to be any point in trying for 60!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
@David Noble - I believe the error is that Amex did not reissue an invoice to detail exactly what was purchased. Clearly the T & C's of the revised ticket are different to the original.

I also (respectfully) do not agree with you about the value of the revised ticket. Any upgraded ticket must be valued at zero, for the upgraded portion.

In my business, invoices are presented to reflect exactly what was purchased..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.