Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World seat reservations not free?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Club World seat reservations not free?

I am sorry, I searched but no hit. Working on a trip from AMS-BKK in Club World.
While the seat reservation from AMS-LHR is free of charge, there is a Euro 90-109
charge for seat selection per pax each way? In C? Please tell me that's not true. Tell
me I am doing something wrong.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:05 am

If you have no status, then you gotta pay up or wait until check-in opens at 24hrs before departure.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Unless you have status it's not free.

Moral of the story, fly CX or QR!
capin likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See these threads for some more information and discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...icy-guide.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ost-money.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lub-world.html
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I should have dug into it a bit deeper and found it on the BA
website. Indeed, BA is out of my travel plans. At least until I have status on AA
if I go through with my intention to leave UA. BA must be the only airline charging
for seat reservation in F and/or C, no?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:19 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
BA must be the only airline charging
No charge for F seats. Just business class
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
BA must be the only airline charging
Or, the other way of looking at this: it's only airline looking after its FF members interests by given them preference over others.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Or, the other way of looking at this: it's only airline looking after its FF members interests by given them preference over others.
+1, I like how before TS was implemented, all the best seats were blocked for Golds and above (Front row, 1A/K - 64AB/JK on a 744 ect)

Now with TS, I haven't taken a flight where I haven't got the best seat in the cabin I'm booked it. Although with most other airlines, the seats are all much of a muchness. However on BA, 64K on a 744 vs 19E with a stranger next to makes a world of difference, hence why BA get away with charging for seats in J.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Calum
However on BA, 64K on a 744 vs 19E with a stranger next to makes a world of difference, hence why BA get away with charging for seats in J.
This begs the question -- once BA goes to direct aisle access in CW (2019 I think Cruz said), will they change the policy?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:00 pm

As I'm shopping around for flights these days, rather than defaulting to BA, this is one thing that I actually miss.

I book a lot of travel at short notice (almost all under 3 weeks, some much shorter than that). I've just booked a flight to the US next week on UA, and there are no decent seats left. As a GCH I've been spoiled because I can usually bag a good seat in whichever class, at short notice thanks to their seating policy.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
... which only matters when you have such a terrible biz product.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
BA price it this way to give those who are neurotic about where they sit the option of paying for it. They also price it so as to discourage customers from actually paying it.

Before paid seating, a lot of non-status customers were indignant that they couldn't choose seats, even for a fee…

If someone insists on paying then BA will take the money, but there should be reasonable options left to choose when check-in opens.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
This begs the question -- once BA goes to direct aisle access in CW (2019 I think Cruz said), will they change the policy?
Depends if people keep paying for seating or not. BA won't start turning down money
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
BA price it this way to give those who are neurotic about where they sit the option of paying for it. They also price it so as to discourage customers from actually paying it.

Before paid seating, a lot of non-status customers were indignant that they couldn't choose seats, even for a fee…

If someone insists on paying then BA will take the money, but there should be reasonable options left to choose when check-in opens.
Wouldn't mind if flying solo. But with my S/O I want to make sure we are next to each other. Doing LHR-SIN apart is not my desire. But surely I am not paying 400 Euros for that privilege. Booked
on Swiss, was a tad more expensive but still saved 250 Euro and was able to chose my seats.

I look at these charges as a detriment to any passenger who has no status but still wants to try out a particular airline, BA in this instance. Let's assume he/she likes their service and comes back, might be a customer for life. But adding 200 Euros per leg in Club World potentially and rightfully so, turns off that possibility and pax walks over to a competitor.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I look at these charges as a detriment to any passenger who has no status but still wants to try out a particular airline, BA in this instance. Let's assume he/she likes their service and comes back, might be a customer for life. But adding 200 Euros per leg in Club World potentially and rightfully so, turns off that possibility and pax walks over to a competitor.
Another way to look at it is that just one AMS-BKK return gets you straight to Bronze/OWR status, which gives free seat selection from T-7 plus other benefits - and is more than half way to Silver/OWS.

Horses for courses, as they say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.