Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London to Muscat – First time in First

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I always thought you could only get the 30 day (OMR20) visa in advance. The OMR5 10 day one isn't available online?

Or am I looking in the wrong place?
A couple of weeks ago I did a dummy application for the 10 day Visa OMR5 online and could do so - I've just tried again and the option to do so has gone - only the 30 day option is available.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by rssfed23
Has this changed lately?
When I last did BA80 in F on the 10th Jan there was no breakfast option but full lunch service.
Not sure when it changed and if the departure time was different at the time, but twice on the 8am departure now it has been only breakfast.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I recall when I went to MCT I'd flown LH from LCY to FRA to DXB had a 3 day stopover there and then took the LX flight from DXB to MCT. My Dubai entry stamp made me exempt from the Oman Visa and I was admitted for 14 days. I was one of the first off the aircraft, no line at immigration and my bag was on the belt before me so I was out in about 15 minutes. One of the fastest experiences.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by gorps1
A couple of weeks ago I did a dummy application for the 10 day Visa OMR5 online and could do so - I've just tried again and the option to do so has gone - only the 30 day option is available.
I've just read an article from the UAE that the OMR5 visa is no more. Only the OMR20 one is going to be available.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:14 am

I flew into MCT this morning and the only visa available was the OMR20
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Good afternoon all,

As I have mentally checked out of work today I thought I would stop lurking and make my first post!

Two of us are on tonight's flight to Muscat, but alas, in WTP, but to the OP going out tomorrow and the other user on tonight's flight, enjoy!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAW2
As I have mentally checked out of work today I thought I would stop lurking and make my first post!
Good on you (assuming I'm not your boss!) and welcome to Flyertalk. Welcome to the BA forum here on Flyertalk. I hope you have a great trip to Oman, for me it is a great place for a break, all the upsides of Dubai and none of the downsides. Welcome on board BAW2.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The Royal Oman Police E-Visa site now says, in the tourist visa application section, that the OMR5 visa is not valid after 23 April this year. Only the OMR20 appears to be available:

Visa Name 26A Tourist Visit Visa
Visa Fee Omani Rials 5.000
Length of Stay 10 days - 10 Days
Description Visit to Oman (10 days) by a person who is a G1 national.
How to Apply This visa type is no longer valid after 23rd April 2017

This is quite disappointing; it levies, effectively, a significantly increased entry charge on any tourist visit.

Last edited by flatlander; Apr 28, 2017 at 3:01 pm Reason: fix formatting
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
It does make things expensive, especially with OMRs costing two quid each ! Must be one of the highest-valued currencies after the KWD.

I've not been for a while (since BA dropped the AUH-MCT tag ... grrr). Is the visa payment machine still there ? It removes the need to queue at the FX desk (if you don't otherwise need to) although the printed receipt did confuse the immigration guys

http://whatson.ae/dubai/2017/04/cost...st-quadrupled/
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Good afternoon all,

Well, what a lovely flight with an upgrade to Club World and great crew.

Just had the first beer at about £7.20... certainly difficult to swallow after being on a stag do in Zagreb last weekend!

Can confirm that upon walking up to the Travelex counter asking for two OMR 5 visas to be told that it was not possible, so had to go for the OMR 20 visas. Immigration fine, apart from what seemed like a long period at the desk between seeing the passport getting stamped and getting the thing back!

Happy hour beckons...
Old May 1, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
The visa website seems to be having difficulties again.

September last year when the OMR5 Visa was still available, I purchased visas for 2 pax, no problem. For the third member of our party, no matter which browser, credit card, or IP address used, the payment processor company would take payment from the card, but the visa would fail to issue. I had 10 or so CC recharges to make to reverse the payments as each time I tried to buy it no visa was issued. On the day of travel, I got the final visa on my iPad from the CCR. Very odd.

This year, the OMR5 visa is not available so it's OMR20. Annoying, but fine. Registration is now required on the website. Also fine.

However, when logged in to my account there is no way to buy a visa. It just gives a list of visa applications (I have none).

If logged out, I can access the visa tool which is supposed to guide you through which visa you need, but for a U.K. citizen, not resident in GCC, no visa options come up to choose to buy. I tried a few other EU countries, same issue. Non EU e.g. Australia will give the visa options.

Various parts of the website remain as dead links such as the help, FAQ etc.

Unless they fix it in the next 10 days I'll be joining the queue at travelex.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Make sure you take plenty of cash with you as 4 out of our party of 5 were told this morning at the visa payment desk the visa fee had to be paid in cash - no credit cards and this was non-negotiable. The 5th person paid by credit card without a problem!
Old May 8, 2017, 12:18 pm

The website now acknowledges that UK citizens need a visa.

On completing all the required info, including images of my passport and a separate photo, the website fails at the payment stage, with an unauthorised to view this page error. I recall this was occurring in 2016, although it was fixed prior to my last visit.

Given the "visa" could be considered a tourism tax, one would think the government would make it easy to pay direct and not have Travelex take their fee for VoA.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
When I went to Muscat in late March the visa on arrival was OMR5 or you could pay £16, not a good exchange rate. Increasing the fee to OMR20 will make some people think twice.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:42 am

The visa website payment processor never came back online. Our group came through MCT today. I went to travelex the others went to the next door counter (I don't recall the band) to buy the tourist tax / visa.

I tried to pay with credit card, saying "sorry no cash"
They then offered to take £ or € cash - the fx rate offered was very, very silly. I said again "sorry no cash". The reply was "you make me work hard - take credit card".
Then before the card even came near to the terminal, "sorry card declined, you pay cash"
Losing my bottle at that point I magically found an OR20 note.

They really dont don't want to take Credit card, presumably because of fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.