Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Letter to the Editor [about soft landing to Bronze in Telegraph]

Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA: Silver,

A great letter to the Editor in this morning's Torygraph: a different look at the soft landing from Silver to Bronze. The writer pointed out that he was now in the "Has-been Club". The point was that by producing his Bronze card, he is displaying the fact that he "used to be important but is less so now"... Made me smile (although some Bronzes will, of course, be on their way up rather than down!)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by onaswan

(although some Bronzes will, of course, be on their way up rather than down!)
Indeed. My son-in-law - currently the poor relation in our BAEC HHA - will be promoted from Bronze to Silver by the end of July; this was one benefit he was not aware of when he married the former Miss PtF.

By then we'll be three Golds and four Silvers.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by onaswan
Made me smile
I also enjoyed that letter, reading it over lunch alfresco in Asia. I think the wording is quite good, being terse and yet loaded in sentiment, so I'll just convey it here:

Originally Posted by The Daily Telegraph / Letters to the Editor

Has-been club

SIR - I recently received my new bronze airline executive card. It used to be silver, and before that it was gold.

The card appears to bring no benefit to me at all, but signals to the airline staff that I used to be someone once, but I'm not any more.

Are there any other clubs out there for has-beens like me?

Jonathan Selby
Richmond, Surrey.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 11, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Is anyone else thinking there may be a cryptic message in this? You give up your EU card and get an EFTA one to soften the blow.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:11 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by dmsmith70
Is anyone else thinking there may be a cryptic message in this? You give up your EU card and get an EFTA one to soften the blow.
It's an interesting possibility, but probably unlikely.

Of course in a year or two he might be dropping further to BA Blue, at which point he will genuinely be of absolutely no concern whatsoever.

Given all of this, and in response to the original question, perhaps the original writer can elect to become a member of the Liberal Democrats.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
A pretty good letter indeed! ^
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I take it then , that BA issues different bronze cards - perhaps a big red cross on it, to signify that the person is being demoted to bronze rather than having been promoted to bromze - will ensure that staff realise that he used to be important rather than rising through the ranks
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:11 pm

And there are Blues that have just made Bronze, are they in the "has beens" club? Not all Bronzes are demotions.

And why do you even need to show the card anyway?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is another installment today, different airline.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:43 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
He also hasn't got over the fact that Richmond used to be in Surrey but (since 1965) is now in London....

Unfortunately, I must admit to occasionally reading the DM but I have noticed that whenever there is something good to say, or a high house price to mention, the DM says it is in Surrey; whenever there is something bad to say or a house price is lower than expected, it is in London
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by The Daily Telegraph / Letters to the Editor
Endangered privilege

SIR I am the proud holder of an Air France/KLM Ivory Card no precious metals for me (Letters, April 11). This card entitled me to board one suitcase weighing up to 23 kg without charge. This privilege is now withdrawn. As there are no other discernible benefits for using this card, what shall I do with it? All lawful suggestions will be considered.

Jim Pickering
Crimond, Aberdeenshire
So they are no better than us at staying on topic.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So they are no better than us at staying on topic.
or keeping up with news as FB ivory (the equivalent of BA blue!) stopped affording a free piece of checked luggage well over a year ago!!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by :D!
He also hasn't got over the fact that Richmond used to be in Surrey but (since 1965) is now in London....
As a Richmond lad myself, it will always be (, Surrey) in my heart. Whilst I knew it had become "West London", I never realised the change was imposed in the year I left home to serve Queen and Country. I applaud the Post Office for continuing to deliver my letters to home with the obsolete County suffix (and, indeed, any postcode).

Last edited by T8191; Apr 12, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: BA, EK, UA, MK
Really enjoyed the letter...very nicely put. And I know how the writer feels - as the proud holder in successive years of a gold, then silver, then bronze and now blue card! Stopped flying BA some 4 years ago after many, many years on the road (though went platinum on the competition) but next month will take my first tentative steps back up the ladder. Booked in F from T3 and genuinely interested to see how things have changed since I was last upfront (almost 5 years now). Lots of comment on other threads about how things have gone downhill at BA but I'm going to do my best to be even-handed and objective. What should I expect?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!

Unfortunately, I must admit to occasionally reading the DM but I have noticed that whenever there is something good to say, or a high house price to mention, the DM says it is in Surrey; whenever there is something bad to say or a house price is lower than expected, it is in London
I know its bad I blame the government I am not sure why, obviously. The same for their friend down the road Kingston Upon Thames.

YOu have to read the DM to know what you are supposed to be upset with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.