T5 First Wing - picture review

Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Thanks for the pictures, looks nice!

I was expecting the security channel itself to be parallel to the current ones (or short edge of the building) if that makes sense, as opposed to being wedged in the corner.

Originally Posted by tomparskate
Looks fantastic thanks for the pictures! Just tying to picture where the fast track comes out in Galleries First?

Also, I take if I was leaving to get a flight I would just take the old entrance and use the escalators? There hasn't been another exit built on?
It comes out in the Gold Bar. If you go into the GF turn right it comes in against the wall facing you.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by chris1979
I just used the First Wing and it's very nice.

They ran a short trial yesterday and another short one today. It officially opens next week.

Uploading pics from phone.
Looks very impressive to me. Shame it is unlikely to be open when I pass through on Saturday. Good to see this BA investment in a tangible improvement ^
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:53 pm

It is a corridor. Great ^

And overall actually negatively impacts transfer experience.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by rossmacd

If your transferring T5-T5 I assume you have to enter via the normal entry door up the escalators opposite CCR?

To be fair I never actually minded the walk through the shops and found fast track to be reasonably quick! Looking at those photos (Thanks once again!)

You have a ticket check Done at desks before the passport scanner? I can see this causing queues!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:58 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Great pictures. I look forward to seeing it in a few weeks.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Wonder if they're going to move the CCR door to that doorway with a wooden frame?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd

It is a great corridor ^

Out of interest, how does it negatively impact the transfer experience?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:02 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Millionaires door will be closed once First Wing is fully open.
So that means an Extra Long Journey for International Connections arriving North Security who could previously avoid the Shopping Mall by Turning Right after North/Connections Security and a short walk along the Security Area Balcony to The White Door.

So 50% of Concorde Room Guests save a 40 foot walk to The White Door. Meanwhile the remaining 50% Now go from a 400 Foot walk, to a Half Mile Plus Journey Down Escalators, Through The Mall, Up Escalators to eventually get to The Other side of the White Door. Where they were close to some 15 minutes before.

Its Madness
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by UncleDude
So that means an Extra Long Journey for International Connections arriving North Security who could previously avoid the Shopping Mall by Turning Right after North/Connections Security and a short walk along the Security Area Balcony to The White Door.

So 50% of Concorde Room Guests save a 40 foot walk to The White Door. Meanwhile the remaining 50% Now go from a 400 Foot walk, to a Half Mile Plus Journey Down Escalators, Through The Mall, Up Escalators to eventually get to The Other side of the White Door. Where they were close to some 15 minutes before.

Its Madness
15 minutes? I think you might be walking the wrong way! It should take you closer to a couple of minutes than 15 from North Security to the other CCR entrance.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
there were 10 BA staff per pax today!
Lots of HAL staff too, as this principally is a HAL-delivered project. The security area and corridor is HAL space, the check-in area and interface with the lounge is BA.

Originally Posted by henkybaby
(I guess nothing has changed for pax in transit, other than that there will be no more shortcut after security?)
The Flight Connections Centre now has routes to both North and South Security, and there's reconfiguration of this area happening now to make it a simpler experience (including a better marked Fast Track lane). Nothing like TFW, but better than today.

Looks fantastic thanks for the pictures! Just tying to picture where the fast track comes out in Galleries First?

Also, I take if I was leaving to get a flight I would just take the old entrance and use the escalators? There hasn't been another exit built on?
The corridor emerges behind the Gold Bar. The main entrance/exit to the lounge is as it's always been.

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Is there a new, direct route to the CCR or does one have to go into the F lounge, out of the F lounge, past the showers and then into the CCR?
The latter. The existing Concorde Room door adjacent to South Security will close when TFW opens fully next week.

Originally Posted by xenole
Wonder if they're going to move the CCR door to that doorway with a wooden frame?
No, that will be an open entrance to the lounge. The doors are still required where they are as it's a fire compartment.

Last edited by Genius1; Mar 29, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:14 pm

Thanks for clarifying and your information Genius1

So the first desk you go to is BA, then passport scanners and then HAL Staff? I thought BA would want to have a larger presence within the TFW ? Correct me if I'm wrong please?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
So the first desk you go to is BA, then passport scanners and then HAL Staff? I thought BA would want to have a larger presence within the TFW ? Correct me if I'm wrong please?
After check-in, the first desks (the temporary ones for now) are staffed by BA agents who will scan your boarding pass to determine TFW/lounge eligibility.

Behind the desk are the automated boarding pass readers to gain entry to the airside part of the terminal, alongside a desk with a HAL member of staff who will deal with guests, or passengers unable to use the gates (as they do today at North and South Security).

BA have a presence before the transition to airside effectively. BA are not (and cannot be under DfT regulations) responsible for security or controlling access to airside, hence the HAL presence.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Thanks for the excellent pics. Is there a new, direct route to the CCR or does one have to go into the F lounge, out of the F lounge, past the showers and then into the CCR?
Let me welcome you to Flyertalk HFHFFlyer and to the BA forum, it's good to see you here and pitching in to one of the big stories for BA this year. Welcome on board and thank you for the question.

I've been told that the intended route is from First check-in, through the First Wing security, through the First lounge, past Elemis and on to CCR. If you consider the start and end points, that is about the same distance as now, they are both approximate semi circles of roughly equal length, going in opposite directions, but leading to the same place. However there is the prospect of a faster security process. Some debate is on regarding whether the existing direct door by South Fast Track security will remain or not, I'm hearing different things from different staff members, so we will just have to wait and see on that one.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
After check-in, the first desks (the temporary ones for now) are staffed by BA agents who will scan your boarding pass to determine TFW/lounge eligibility.

Behind the desk are the automated boarding pass readers to gain entry to the airside part of the terminal, alongside a desk with a HAL member of staff who will deal with guests, or passengers unable to use the gates (as they do today at North and South Security).

BA have a presence before the transition to airside effectively. BA are not (and cannot be under DfT regulations) responsible for security or controlling access to airside, hence the HAL presence.
Thank you, I have a picture of those BA desks getting clogged and large queues forming? Would you agree or do you think it'll be a quick scan and no such issue will arise?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you, I have a picture of those BA desks getting clogged and large queues forming? Would you agree or do you think it'll be a quick scan and no such issue will arise?
It's no different to the airside entrance to the Galleries First lounge. There might be one or two people in front, but I don't foresee any issues unless there is an issue at security (which is the same as normal Fast Track).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.