Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OW lounge on USA internal flights with BAEC status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OW lounge on USA internal flights with BAEC status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by malkie
Is there anything stopping an AA member crediting enough TP (and BA flights) to earn silver then use that to access the lounge network when travelling on domestics ?
Nope. I'm a former AA Platinum who made the switch to BAEC, and have been enjoying my domestic lounge access ever since. One exchanges lounge access for the chance at upgrading with stickers, but for someone who generally buys business (or flies routes where the chances of upgrading with stickers are low anyway) it's a decent trade off.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Absolutely no issue with this. I used the oneworld Los Angeles lounge before an AA flight to IAD in January, and will be using the Qantas International First lounge in the next couple of weeks before flights to YVR and JFK (again, both on AA).
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
As others have said I did exactly this last week. Travelling domestic on AA from LAX to HNL, I am BA Gold. Checked in at T4 at LAX once airside I walked to TBIT and went into the Qantas First class lounge. Handed my boarding pass and told the agent I was Oneworld Emerald and I was in. As the departure time came closer I walked back to T4 and went in the Admirals club and was given the invite to the Flagship lounge (which was tiny and temporary due to the building works).

As a BA Silver you should have been allowed in the Qantas Business lounge in TBIT.

At other AA lounges in the US travelling domestically I have never been turned away, access for me was based solely on my BA status.

Bri
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by arnie.
I've never had a problem, but occasionally in the U.S. they do require you to show the physical cards (this has been problematic in the past as I only just got my renewal pack through 2 months late).
IME the card display from the BA smartphone app has always been sufficient.

And at the QF TBIT lounge they have never asked for more than my BP.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by brokenspirit
Hello, has anyone ever had issues accessing a OW lounge on an internal US flight? I'm aware that BA say this should be allowed, and I had a message from them confirming, however a few months ago I had a flight from LAX to LAS on AA, and I was denied entry to the Qantas lounge as I was on a US internal flight even though I had BA silver. At the time I wasn't 100% sure that I was correct so I didn't challenge it.

Mainly asking as I have a flight from LAX to PHX on AA this Sunday and I'm wondering if I'm gonna get the same problem.

Thanks
BA Silver is equivalent to OneWorld Sapphire. You would have access to the OneWorld Business lounge down the hall from the Qantas First Lounge. QF First lounge is restricted to First Class passengers and OneWorld Emeralds.

As for lounge access with domestic flights, Qantas is very familiar now with the OneWorld rules. The issues I and other experienced last year have been remedied. I frequently dine at QF F or use the juice machine at OW J Lounges on domestic flights with my BA Gold Card.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:19 pm

I didn't want to start a whole new thread seeing as my question is about OW access to US lounges so I hope it's ok in here.
Looking on the lounge access/finder tool on BA it seems that as silver/sapphire I should be able to access the Qantas or Japan Airlines lounge in HNL. Is one better than the other?
And in LAX there's seems to be quiet a selection. Again, anyone have a preference?
I will be flying with AA domestic.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NEMMIE
I didn't want to start a whole new thread seeing as my question is about OW access to US lounges so I hope it's ok in here.
Looking on the lounge access/finder tool on BA it seems that as silver/sapphire I should be able to access the Qantas or Japan Airlines lounge in HNL. Is one better than the other?
And in LAX there's seems to be quiet a selection. Again, anyone have a preference?
i used the JAL lounge at HNL last year on BA silver. its fairly small and only has light snacks like cup noodles etc.

Unforunatelynat my flight time the Qantas lounge was not open.

As for LAX, I always use the Qantas lounges, even the Business lounge is pretty nice, full buffet and free drinks. The AA lounge when I have been was always very crowded, and I think is still having refurb done. They also dont have much food and give you just one drinks voucher.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by brokenspirit
i used the JAL lounge at HNL last year on BA silver. its fairly small and only has light snacks like cup noodles etc.

Unforunatelynat my flight time the Qantas lounge was not open.

As for LAX, I always use the Qantas lounges, even the Business lounge is pretty nice, full buffet and free drinks. The AA lounge when I have been was always very crowded, and I think is still having refurb done. They also dont have much food and give you just one drinks voucher.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
I'm getting confused with the website as it says you cannot use Qantas Business lounges if not flying internationally. And then elsewhere says you can if sapphire.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Amb
I was at the JAL Sakura lounge at HNL on Friday. While it is not massive I sat at one of the window desks looking out onto the Japanese garden outside, it did get very busy. Limited spirit/wine selection. Food consisted of a few flavours of freeze dried noodles and some fruit/breads. It was okay for the 2 hours I was there, I cannot comment on the Qantas lounge at HNL as I have not visited it. I was flying AA domestic, didnt have to show my BA card to get in, they just scanned my boarding pass.

At LAX I selected the temporary AA Flagship lounge only because it was closer to my gate in T4. The Qantas First lounge was good but I am not a fan of a manned bar, I prefer self service where I can pour my own measures. Apologies just noticed you are Oneworld Sapphire, I didn't use the bussiness lounges at LAX.

Brian
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by hanmer
I was at the JAL Sakura lounge at HNL on Friday. While it is not massive I sat at one of the window desks looking out onto the Japanese garden outside, it did get very busy. Limited spirit/wine selection. Food consisted of a few flavours of freeze dried noodles and some fruit/breads. It was okay for the 2 hours I was there, I cannot comment on the Qantas lounge at HNL as I have not visited it. I was flying AA domestic, didnt have to show my BA card to get in, they just scanned my boarding pass.

At LAX I selected the temporary AA Flagship lounge only because it was closer to my gate in T4. The Qantas First lounge was good but I am not a fan of a manned bar, I prefer self service where I can pour my own measures. Apologies just noticed you are Oneworld Sapphire, I didn't use the bussiness lounges at LAX.

Brian
Thanks Brian! It's good to know there is a lounge available in HNL. I can't see there are any on the Big Island or Maui.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I use the AA lounges CLT-SFO/SJC when flying AA domestic coach all the time with BA gold. Never had an issue.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
I've never had any issues accessing the lounges in the US both as a gold and previously as a silver. The only issue you may have is receiving the premium drinks vouchers as some lounge staff have to be prompted but then others just issue a handful all at once.

With regards to LAX I have only used the T4 Flagship (or whatever they are currently calling the 1st section) to rearrange my flights when AA caused me to miss my flight to HNL, although the staff are great - even offered me an overnight hotel during weather irrops I prefer the QANTAS lounge. Have had no issues with access at all just occasionly they have to manually input my BAEC number. The screens don't show the domestic flights in the lounge.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by arnie.
I've never had a problem, but occasionally in the U.S. they do require you to show the physical cards (this has been problematic in the past as I only just got my renewal pack through 2 months late).

4 x BA metal, so not really. Would need 600TP, though.
You don't need any BA metal flights to qualify for tier status.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by malkie
Is there anything stopping an AA member crediting enough TP (and BA flights) to earn silver then use that to access the lounge network when travelling on domestics ?
Exactly what I have done for the past seven years. I fly frequently between ORF and JFK and have never had an issue getting into the various Admirals Club lounges in T8. Also on flights to California, I've used AA lounges when connecting in Charlotte, Dallas, Phoenix, and Los Angeles.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I didn't want to start a whole new thread...
This is a timely question as I've just posted the latest part of my trip report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ss-hawaii.html, which showcases the JAL lounge at HNL and the oneworld options at LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.