Wiki Posts
Search

BA Vs Virgin Atlantic - Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

BA Vs Virgin Atlantic - Compensation

On Tuesday night my Mum (and neighbour) flew back to London from LA with Virgin. This was the 10 pm departure flight and I believe it was on the 787. My mum and neighbour had the window and middle seat and were booked into economy.

Within 20 mins of departure, they were not able to "close the window". I'm assuming my mum meant that they were not able to make the window go dark. This was reported to the steward as he came past. He tried to fiddle around with the button for a few moments but was unsuccessful in fixing it. He was very apologetic and said he would be back shortly. A few moments later he came back with a lady who had an Ipad with her. The lady also tried to fix the window but this was also unsuccessful. The lady then apologised again and asked if they would both accept 6000 miles each for the trouble. My mum and neighbour accepted and after a few taps on the Ipad were told that the miles would be in their accounts shortly.

My mum didn't ask for any miles nor did she expect anything. To be honest my mum doesn't do the miles game so wasn't really that bothered. They just simply wanted to tell someone that something was wrong with the window.

What difference in customer service and compensation standards between Virgin and BA.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I am unclear why you think this illustrates a difference in customer service standards. Do you have an example where BA offered no compensation for a similar issue?

The OP's example may illustrate a difference in approach. VS allow its crew to award ex gratia miles as a service recovery measure; BA prefer to handle this via customer services. With BA's approach there is likely to be consistency of treatment; with VS offers of compensation and the amount given may be more variable unless they have guidelines to cover all eventualities that are strictly enforced.

As a data point, I had a defective IFE screen arm on a flight of similar duration. The crew did their best to fix it (without success) and logged the fault. My email to CS resulted in 9,000 avios compensation and a proper (definitely not cut and paste) apology by return.

Different airlines, different approaches, but both offering satisfactory compensation. Where is the data point for one being better than another?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FrancisA
I am unclear why you think this illustrates a difference in customer service standards. Do you have an example where BA offered no compensation for a similar issue?

The OP's example may illustrate a difference in approach. VS allow its crew to award ex gratia miles as a service recovery measure; BA prefer to handle this via customer services. With BA's approach there is likely to be consistency of treatment; with VS offers of compensation and the amount given may be more variable unless they have guidelines to cover all eventualities that are strictly enforced.

As a data point, I had a defective IFE screen arm on a flight of similar duration. The crew did their best to fix it (without success) and logged the fault. My email to CS resulted in 9,000 avios compensation and a proper (definitely not cut and paste) apology by return.

Different airlines, different approaches, but both offering satisfactory compensation. Where is the data point for one being better than another?

We had a broken IFE arm on ba WT where it would just not stay up without holding it. Sold out flight, no compensation was offered by crew nor ba customer service...

In F the broken seat fixtures and IFE was awarded 15k avios in F!

I think with ba its definately hit or miss.

No experience with issues on VS, but the onboard service is different to ba's in Y not saying better nor worse.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
BA transatlantic J flight where there were problems in the lounge with a very rude staffer, no premium cabin boarding line & when we asked about J boarding we were told to join any line we wanted to board (the flight was running late and they just decided to let everyone board in hopes of getting plane out on time). On board the experience was great. Seat needed a refurb but the whole crew did a great job and were very nice.

Wrote into BA and was left a phone message saying they have received my comments and no further contact would be necessary. I requested contact and they declined via email. Wrote to executive staff and haven't heard back in 2 months. Moved my business back to VS and wrote letters to all my clients stating my new policy of no BA flights unless absolutely necessary. I can deal with delays and problems but the lack of customer service & followthrough is an insult.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Mar 23, 2017 at 8:56 am Reason: added experience.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:58 am

In my view it's always better to deal with the situation there and then. It lances the boil, and there is no reason why it should not be done consistently with guidelines and training.

Expecting to handle it via customer services sounds like a mechanism for delay, hoping the customer goes away, and leaving a festering irritation even after they have left the flight. Also it's a lot easier to subsequently refuse compensation by email when you haven't got an unhappy customer stood in front of you.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:02 am

Last trip in VS UC, there was a problem with the seat recline ( not the lie flat though which is separate unlike BA), which meant a member of staff had to crawl on the floor to use a tool to move it. Very minor inconvemience and more for the staff than me but unasked given 20,000 miles.

Haven't had a similar problem with BA so can't compare.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:20 am

What BA would probably have done is said onboard if you're not happy with the window we have middle seats in different rows at the back that you can move to.

Problem solved.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
At BA we carry window blinds that can be attached to the window if the electronic screens on the B787 do not work, I'm surprised that Virgin do not have them.
All SCCM are authorised to offer service recovery using a matrix via their iPad, if there are more than 10 people affected we hand out Proactive Service Recovery letters which allow our CR staff to contact our customers to resolve the issue.
I know we are reading examples of poor service recovery but the majority are sorted out on the day to the satisfaction of the customer.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
to be fair, My one experience of faulty headphone socket, was resolved in much the same way by BA, giving Avios from an Ipad.

Also with relatively no SH network 6000 VS miles is pretty much worthless unless you fly them regularly
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Soupey202
Last trip in VS UC, there was a problem with the seat recline (not the lie flat though which is separate unlike BA), which meant a member of staff had to crawl on the floor to use a tool to move it. Very minor inconvemience and more for the staff than me but unasked given 20,000 miles.

Haven't had a similar problem with BA so can't compare.
Similar problem on BA LHR-HKG. Seat would not recline past a certain point... 3 crew members and screwdrivers finally got it to go flat, after 30 mins of disturbing everyone else who was already asleep around me. No comp offered; I didn't complain as I was happy with finally getting some rest.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:57 am
MzG

About four years ago my husband and I flew from west coast USA to LHR. We were in F. As soon as the plane departed we were told no bedding or pillows had been loaded for F. The CSD produced the iPad and we were told miles would be credited. As it happens they weren't, but to be honest, not sure there are enough to cover an overnight flight with no bedding. The only reason I fly J or F is to lie flat and rest (I have a bad back), no snobbery involved. Oh, and no PJs either. I did chase it up and a few thousand miles were offered, it wasn't worth the effort of chasing it up. I seem to recall the CSD said it would be twenty thousand, but I could be imagining that.

Last edited by MzG; Mar 23, 2017 at 9:21 am
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I last flew VS in Upper 3 years ago.

The crew were one of the best I have ever encountered. Keen, enthusiastic, friendly, and with that magic ability to be there when you wanted them, and to be somewhere else when you did not.

If their approach to miles/compensation is to fix it on the flight, that is So Much better than fighting to be understood and to understand BA Indian call centres, and having long twitter exchanges with BA.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
To be fair most of us sort this type of thing out on the day.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
To be fair most of us sort this type of thing out on the day.
We seem to be sullying this thread with real-life confirmation of what actually happens on a day-to-day basis.

Better we focus on conjecture based on single examples.

Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
VS is somewhat more customer orientated in my experience, but a bit bling, a bit Ratner and a bit too much "Banter Airways." The UC afternoon tea set up all style over substance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.