Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to check through if connection is at different airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I was just wondering if I arrived from HKG to LHR and then connecting to GLA from LGW, is it possible to check through the luggage from HKG directly to GLA or will I need to retrieve my luggage at LHR and recheck-in at LGW?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
You will need to retrieve it and recheck in.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You are responsible for getting yourself and your bags between the two airports.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
You will need to retrieve it and recheck in.
Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:27 am

Who / why has booked that itinerary? There are loads of flights from Heathrow to Glasgow, so there is no need for an airport switch.
Can you get the itinerary changed to avoid this time, hassle and additional cost of switching airports?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Who / why has booked that itinerary? There are loads of flights from Heathrow to Glasgow, so there is no need for an airport switch.
Can you get the itinerary changed to avoid this time, hassle and additional cost of switching airports?
This was my first thought too. Interested in the reason, but hope it can be changed!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Indeed the normal FT reason for booking that itinerary would be if one specifically didn't want bags checked through, with the (naughty) intention of skipping the last flight.
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Perhaps it's a redemption itinerary - sometimes appropriate domestic connections are hard to come by.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys, yeah, its a redemption booking for my girlfriend. There was no planes available for redemption from LHR to GLA that day so I am flying down to LHR to pick her up and we will be flying from LGW to GLA lol. Thanks for the replies guys
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
Availability for domestic redemptions tends to open up 72 hours prior to departure so take a look then and there should be seats on lots of flights from Heathrow to Glasgow
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I have a similar situation and a couple questions. First time flying BA now: The flight is in June
The only redemption I could find in J, for us from Milan to the west coast of Florida or any Florida city for that matter. Was Lin to LCY. Then LGW to MCO.
How long should I allow to get off the plane in LCY and get checked in at LGW.
And how often do I keep checking for something else to open up, or do I wait until 72 hrs, like in the post above?

Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA says to allow 3 1/2 hours between LCY and LGW so that's really 2 1/2 allowing for the bag drop deadline of 60 mins before the departing (international) flight - but you will be able to do it a lot quicker than in 2 1/2 hours.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Feb 8, 2018 at 12:01 pm
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
BA says to allow 3 1/2 hours between LCY and LGW so that's really 2 1/2 allowing for the bag drop deadline of 60 mins before the departing (international) flight - but you will be able to do it a lot quicker than in 2 1/2 hours.
Thank you... Ummm Silly question.. Do I clear customs from Italy through LCY into LGW. I am US passport.

Thanks again!!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
LCY but to be honest you just walk through.

You will have to show your passport to UK immigration but that shouldn't be an issue.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:06 am

If you want advice on the LCY to LGW transfer, tell us the date and time (these very much affect the recommendation). Road journey will be expensive and not necessarily quickest - the queue for the Blackwall tunnel (to get south of the Thames) can be purgatory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.