Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA ABZ Lounge Closing 30 July 2017 [to be refurbished]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
What a shame, Aberdeen has a really nice little lounge.

As for Silvers not getting lounge access (if it's true), just another kick in the face.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:28 am

There is a thread on this already.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-review.html

The suggestion there is the arrangements are temporary until the new BA lounge opens in 2018.

Originally Posted by Talexander
I think there are lots of job losses from the lounge staff as well
You know or are just speculating?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:29 am

Already discussed in this thread. It's a temporary closure, while a new lounge is to be built.

C-W-S had been told the aim was to open the new lounge in Sep 2017, but according to the following post it will actually be May 2018. TBC...

Either way, there is no permanent closure of BA lounge facilities at ABZ.

Originally Posted by redpalmetto
Just had some updated information on this item relating to ABZ specifically.

As I noted previously the BA lounge in ABZ is closing on August 6th (part of the terminal refurbishment). My information now is, however, that it WILL reopen in the new location (the shell of which is now fully constructed, awaiting fit-out by BA) but not before May 2018.

In the interim BA Gold, First and Business ticket holders, will have access to the new shared (and very nice) Northern Lights Lounge which opens on July 1. I understand it is not yet confirmed if BA Silvers will get access (which will be a bit controversial if they are denied).

The current shared Swissport Lounge closes June 30th, replaced by the Northern Lights (run by Compass Group).

Also the international arrivals hall is now open (used it last night courtesy KL1451), and the new domestic area opens first week in July. There is also a new central security area that will come live around June 2018 (part of Phase 2 terminal redevelopment).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by simons1
There is a thread on this already.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-review.html

The suggestion there is the arrangements are temporary until the new BA lounge opens in 2018.

You know or are just speculating?
Thanks for the link. Fingers crossed for silver access and an on time opening of the new lounge!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Talexander
Fingers crossed for silver access and an on time opening of the new lounge!
Indeed, my thoughts too.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: BA
I'm flying up to ABZ next week, and back on August 1st. I can comment on the situation when I'm there, and can always ask the staff on the way in if silvers get access or not.

I like the Terraces lounge at ABZ - always friendly staff and a decent comfortable offering. I'll happily try the Northern Lights for a change if that's what's on offer.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Ah I have just seen this thread. I was speaking to the lovely Gordon earlier who told me that it shuts a week tomorrow. And he confirmed that GCHs would be accommodated in the new Northern Lights Lounge upstairs. He also confirmed that the staff would be made redundant until the new BA lounge opens in May of next year.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I'm in the new Northern Lights lounge at the moment. The BA lounge is now scheduled to close on the 30th July. Access to this lounge will be granted to gold card members and Club Europe passengers so I'm not entirely sure what happens to silvers?

While I was in here I spotted S***** which surprised me as she's been an employee in the BA lounge for well over a decade. It sounds like all the BA lounge staff were made redundant and shortly after Compass were looking for additional staff up here and a number of them moved up. A good news story for those staff members.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by golfmad
I'm in the new Northern Lights lounge at the moment. The BA lounge is now scheduled to close on the 30th July. Access to this lounge will be granted to gold card members and Club Europe passengers so I'm not entirely sure what happens to silvers?

While I was in here I spotted S***** which surprised me as she's been an employee in the BA lounge for well over a decade. It sounds like all the BA lounge staff were made redundant and shortly after Compass were looking for additional staff up here and a number of them moved up. A good news story for those staff members.
Thats interesting.. I hope its the same S______. She always remembers me even though I don't visit that often. I am soon to be gold but I would be a bit miffed if Silver and didn't get lounge access.

Is BA actually getting a new lounge in ABZ or will this be a permanent arrangement ?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Is BA actually getting a new lounge in ABZ or will this be a permanent arrangement ?
There will definitely be a new BA lounge. It already has signs along with the Northern Light's lounge above gate 1.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
In the BA lounge at ABZ just now and asked what was happening with silvers when it closes next week. The lady said it looks like the existing staff will be in departures passing out vouchers for F&B to silver card members.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Knickam
In the BA lounge at ABZ just now and asked what was happening with silvers when it closes next week. The lady said it looks like the existing staff will be in departures passing out vouchers for F&B to silver card members.
Seems reasonable. For Silvers and others not flying in Club Europe the Northern Lights lounge also accepts a variety of other entry methods including Priority Pass, Lounge Club and other lounge pass networks as well as the £24.99 entry fee.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
The ABZ lounge has always been a busy lounge and it was great for bumping into friends and clients...

I'm wondering if access to the Northern Lights Lounge is restricted to CE/GCH, are they able to guest others into the lounge? I'll be there next week and travelling with a non (or low) status chum...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:59 am

Gold members will get access to the northern lights lounge - which is actually pretty decent. Some of the same faces that you'll know and love are transferring up there.
Not sure if golds are allowed to bring a guest or not...

Silvers will not get access, but will get refreshment vouchers, not sure on the value
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Ever-generous BA giving Silver elites a £5 ($6.60) voucher. Usage restrictions include no alcohol nor duty free. Nor can it be used on-board.

Departed ABZ mid-afternoon 31 July, the first day of lounge closure: A landside restaurant refused to honour 'light refreshment' voucher on burger plus pint deal because the bundle included beer. Offered frank & forthright feedback to BA's check-in manager at ABZ. He promised to share all feedback with BA & I wasn't the first Silver flyer to complain about the voucher's low value & restrictions.

No end-date for BA's lounge closure has been set. ABZ is moving security into the area now used by BA's old lounge. It is troubling that ground staff has very little information and are not empowered to resolve complaints. ABZ charges £25 to access its shiny upstairs 'Northern Lights' Lounge (or £15 as Priority Pass guest). I expect a voucher to cover, at minimum, what I'd likely consume in a BA lounge (£15+, including any food & beverage). Ground staff explained to me that access to ABZ's lounge is restricted due to capacity issues. Since this airport fleeces passengers £2 to drive to the curb, IMHO BA and ABZ are just cutting costs and keeping space free for paid users in ABZ's multi-airline lounge. Very disappointing and yet another reason to avoid BA at ABZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.