Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can not issue mobile boarding pass: your travel document needs to be checked.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Will fly LGW-NCE tomorrow as the last leg of multi-sector ticket. The sector is many many days after the last so no issue with through check-in etc.

Today I tried to check-in for the flight. In my mobile app, it took me to the final stage, but could not issue the mobile boarding pass. An error message states:

There was a problem issuing your boarding pass as there appears to be an issue with at least one of your travel documents. Please tap continue for more information.
So I tap continue.

It says:

The travel document details you have entered are not valid for this flight.
So I went to the computer and double checked the record in the Manage My Booking function. Everything is correct. So continue to online check-in on BA.com.

But:

Your passport and/or visa(s) must be checked at the airport

We are required by certain countries to check your travel documents before you fly. Please see a British Airways representative at the airport.
Never thought French wants British Passport to be checked! Thought this is a strange case with wonderful BA IT. Anyone here might have any idea why mobile boarding pass can not be issued?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes a glitch that has recently surfaced, see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...n-bio-lhr.html

In that thread there was a comment that the BA Social Media team were aware of it, so I imagine it will be fixed in the next few days. The second part of the message, about checking visas, isn't new, that came with FLY and will come up in various circumstances.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes a glitch that has recently surfaced, see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...n-bio-lhr.html

In that thread there was a comment that the BA Social Media team were aware of it, so I imagine it will be fixed in the next few days. The second part of the message, about checking visas, isn't new, that came with FLY and will come up in various circumstances.
Thank you! I will check if return leg is the same or not.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:44 am

In the end, I turned up at the airport and went through smooth as anything, just give yourself enough time in case you need to queue. Mine was fine on the way out only happened on the return leg.

Last edited by kath2049; Mar 1, 2017 at 3:45 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kath2049
In the end, I turned up at the airport and went through smooth as anything, just give yourself enough time in case you need to queue. Mine was find on the way out only happened on the return leg.
Thanks for that update, it will doubtless reassure other travellers. I've also put an entry into the bug report for BA.com, though it may be more Appy. Link here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27973753-post2312.html
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
BA trialling post-Brexit procedures

(They've leant from FLY launch it seems!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
I just got this error for a flight to LON tomorrow.

I called the all-improved-gold-line and got told it was 'cos of Brexit (????)

When I pushed back and queried/ escalated, eventually I got someone who offloaded me (which is what I wanted) and when I tried OLCI again, hey presto - no message about needing a Visa or passport check.

Very annoying bug.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Oneworld
I am glad to hear it's a glitch as I somehow assumed this was a carriers' liability issue. Airlines need to know that a traveller will be admitted on arrival, otherwise they (the carrier) are obliged to return that person at their expense in the event they are bounced by immigration. Sometimes, a person who is not a citizen of their final destination, and does not have a return or onward ticket, needs to be checked for their suitability for boarding. It happens to me quite a lot as I travel to Brazil as a final or return leg yet hold a British passport (but have permanent residence permit that is outside the knowledge of BA). I always assumed BA were worried I would be bounced and hence would have to be flown back to London at BA's cost.

Last edited by BrianWBrazil; Jul 3, 2017 at 4:29 pm
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
I asked for a call back as the reasons given by the call centre, variously; Brexit, something about Schiphol needing to see my passport, something about me needing a visa to enter the UK, were all clearly wrong.

And the fact that an offload followed by a new OLCI caused it to disappear suggest to me that it was an IT error, rather than a major problem with my immigration status (another reason given)

Will see I get a call.

Last edited by happyintheair; Jul 4, 2017 at 4:41 am Reason: added semi colon
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
Happened to me last week LGW-ACE, but all went fine at the airport. Again last leg of multi sector trip with long UK layover so maybe that triggered some visa type warning?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
This happened to me and a colleague a few weeks ago as well, also with a shorthaul sector that had been the final one of a longhaul booking which had a 40 day stopover in London.

I can only guess that somehow the logic in the BA IT system falls over for these long stopovers, and there's some mismatch in the origin/desination information.

Funnily enough though, when I asked at checkin, the agent said it was because the system had somehow linked the outbound shorthaul sector to an inbound shorthaul on a different PNR (a redemption, in fact) that I'd done the previous day. The only common factor between the two was my Exec Club number. But if this actually was the case (and clearly since FLY was telling the checkin staff about my unrelated inbound flight, it was information that FLY decided was pertinent), then maybe it's an issue where someone takes another set of flights during one of those long stopovers, and that somehow corrupts the APIS record?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I just tried getting my mobile boarding pass on my android phone and the app appears to search for it but when I try to display my mobile boarding passes the app says "No boarding passes". Also when I enter or leave the BA app, I see a message "Unable to update data".

I am able to check in via a browser on my laptop and get a PDF of the boarding pass. So I assume there is no document issues (outside of someone at the counter having to verify that I do have a valid passport).

This is on an AA issued ticket if that makes any difference.

I assume that this is a bug in the app or the check in system.

Last edited by cheltzel; Jul 18, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Similar happened to myself when travelling ALC > LGW recently. According to BA.com ALC isn't listed as supporting mobile boarding passes:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...VINF2ba_mobile

You can check in normally online, but both the mobile app won't allow you to retrieve the mobile boarding pass. The message I got on mine was that my travel documents were either expired, not entered or needed checked at the airport. I guess that's some kind of default error message when using a mobile boarding pass isn't possible.

It's just a case of going to check in as normal and them issuing a paper boarding pass. A bit of a pain if you're HBO.

What I did notice is that once the paper boarding pass has been issued at the check in desk you can then retrieve it on your mobile and use that for lounge acccess, boarding etc.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Silver Card
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I just tried getting my mobile boarding pass on my android phone and the app appears to search for it but when I try to display my mobile boarding passes the app says "No boarding passes". Also when I enter or leave the BA app, I see a message "Unable to update data".

I am able to check in via a browser on my laptop and get a PDF of the boarding pass. So I assume there is no document issues (outside of someone at the counter having to verify that I do have a valid passport).
I have the same today "Unable to update data". I installed the BA app on a second phone - just in case it was my phone playing up - and I couldn't even log in, my login data was not recognised.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by GlasgowBlue
Similar happened to myself when travelling ALC > LGW recently. According to BA.com ALC isn't listed as supporting mobile boarding passes:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...VINF2ba_mobile

You can check in normally online, but both the mobile app won't allow you to retrieve the mobile boarding pass. The message I got on mine was that my travel documents were either expired, not entered or needed checked at the airport. I guess that's some kind of default error message when using a mobile boarding pass isn't possible.

It's just a case of going to check in as normal and them issuing a paper boarding pass. A bit of a pain if you're HBO.

What I did notice is that once the paper boarding pass has been issued at the check in desk you can then retrieve it on your mobile and use that for lounge acccess, boarding etc.
I tried that and still cannot get the app to download the mobile BP.

Originally Posted by apacuk
I have the same today "Unable to update data". I installed the BA app on a second phone - just in case it was my phone playing up - and I couldn't even log in, my login data was not recognised.
I am starting to think it is an issue somewhere in BA's infrastructure. When I go into "My account" and select "Recent transactions", I see "Data retrieval error".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.