Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GGL Joker redemption to South Africa, CPT vs JNB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR

I've recently reached BA GGL and have two jokers to use before my membership year ends on March 8th.

I'm in the process of using one of them to book a long weekend in South Africa for my 40th birthday at the beginning of April. There is availability to use the joker on the flights that I want but not sufficient A class availability to use it in F on the outbound leg. D class is available on the outbound so I could fly in J but I'd really prefer to fly in F if possible.

I've therefore got on 72hr hold LHR-JNB in F outbound (on the A380) with a Comair connection down to CPT the following morning (in Y unfortunately). The return is in F on the direct flight (747) back from CPT- LHR.

Would it make more sense to fly down on the direct LHR-CPT flight in J and save the additional Avios and hassle of connecting at JNB? If it were the other way round, F available on the way out and J on the way back, I wouldn't hesitate to do that but on the way out, I'm less sure.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
What's the aircraft for LHR-CPT (the J flight)?

Is the LHR-JNB the A380 or the 747?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:53 pm

Avoid Joburg like the plague ... not worth the aggravation. Take the direct flight.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Have you considered a stopover in JNB on the outbound? Pilanesberg is just a couple of hours drive. I'd say do F, especially if you're on the 380. What's stopping you from getting into J on the Comair flight?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

The LHR-JNB flight is the A380. The LHR-CPT flight would be on the 747.

Originally Posted by BA6501
What's the aircraft for LHR-CPT (the J flight)?

Is the LHR-JNB the A380 or the 747?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I assume BA GGL said there was insufficient F availability? Or did you determine this just by looking at A availability on Expert Flyer? I ask because if the cabin is relatively empty they'll often ask revenue management to consider opening up the availability.

Assuming the answer is no, then it would depend what seats are available on the non-stop. If you can get 62/64AK, then I'd not bother with the connection given that it's an overnight flight. F means more to me on daytime flights than overnight.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately we are only going to have 4 nights down (out Wednesday night and back on Monday night) there so I'm quite keen to get down to Cape Town really.

There is no Avios availability in J on the Comair flight, although given the flights are quite cheap anyway, even in J, that's not a big deal.

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Have you considered a stopover in JNB on the outbound? Pilanesberg is just a couple of hours drive. I'd say do F, especially if you're on the 380. What's stopping you from getting into J on the Comair flight?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Strangely Expert Flyer and BA GGL disagreed on the number of seats available in A on the flight I wanted. EF showed F4 A2 whereas BA GGL told me that they were seeing F5 A1. I asked if they would consider asking RM to open up another seat and she said it wasn't possible.

62/64AK are possible on the direct flight according to EF.

Originally Posted by dylanks
I assume BA GGL said there was insufficient F availability? Or did you determine this just by looking at A availability on Expert Flyer? I ask because if the cabin is relatively empty they'll often ask revenue management to consider opening up the availability.

Assuming the answer is no, then it would depend what seats are available on the non-stop. If you can get 62/64AK, then I'd not bother with the connection given that it's an overnight flight. F means more to me on daytime flights than overnight.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I would keep the 72hr hold as long as possible, and likely take it.
F space even with the 2x CPT flights currently can be scarce, I think it sounds like OP is going when back down to 1x CPT? and that's a fairly late arrival anyhow.
F5A1 sounds odd though.
On balance A380 and connect isn't sooo bad, especially HBO. One other factor is what seats might be left on the 747 should the second 'A' open up. Oh, and JNB is ex-T5 if CCR is your thing.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Doesn't sound like it is a factor for you, but I believe you can't use an AMEX 241 on a Comair connection. May well be a deciding factor for others.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by mgiarc
Doesn't sound like it is a factor for you, but I believe you can't use an AMEX 241 on a Comair connection. May well be a deciding factor for others.
Correct...which then requires a separate PNR and collecting and rechecking bags (which isn't a problem if you're doing I-D in South Africa, but is on an I-I!)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies all. You are quite correct about Comair and it actually is a factor for me as I am using both an AMEX 241 and a GUF2 on this booking. The GGL team have been able to include the Comair reservation on the same PNR but I will have to pay the additional Avios for that sector.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Correct...which then requires a separate PNR and collecting and rechecking bags (which isn't a problem if you're doing I-D in South Africa, but is on an I-I!)
No it doesn't you can do it on one PNR but your 2-4-1 doesn't cover the redemption on Comair which is fully priced as if it were standalone. I have done just this with connections to and from MRU from JNB, specifically choosing JNB for the A380.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
No it doesn't you can do it on one PNR but your 2-4-1 doesn't cover the redemption on Comair which is fully priced as if it were standalone. I have done just this with connections to and from MRU from JNB, specifically choosing JNB for the A380.
Have been refused (and friends too!) doing it on a single PNR on four separate occasions via the Gold line in the last two years. Perhaps I've been unlucky? I note above that Mike P has been able to do it, so maybe I have been.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Have been refused (and friends too!) doing it on a single PNR on four separate occasions via the Gold line in the last two years. Perhaps I've been unlucky? I note above that Mike P has been able to do it, so maybe I have been.
Done with zero fuss by GGL for me, was absolutely necessary too as the return connection from MRU is too tight with rechecking of bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.