Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA now charging for exit seats until close of checkin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, HHonors

Just noticed this - hopefully not discussed at length before.

I have just checked-in my wife for a SH flight today as her device has crashed.
When it came to select a seat I had the choice of: computer chosen seat at the back of Y, one other seat, also at the back of Y or FOUR exit row seats. No other seats anywhere in Y.

Hooray, I thought. Then I realised that it would cost £18 to choose the exit row seat

Previously, I am sure the BA blurb said something about being able to pay for your seat in advance or choose any available seat at on-line check-in. Now it seems that they will still charge for exit row seats until the end of check-in. I wonder what happens if the flight is completely full?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is she on a Basic fare or a Plus / Flex fare? If Basic then I think this is correct / no change.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, HHonors
Hi CWS,

It's an avios flight.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks, presumably no status?

I'd imagine she would be allowed the exit row seats for free, if these were the only ones left. But it does explain why it has got easier for status passengers to get exit rows of late!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Is she on a Basic fare or a Plus / Flex fare? If Basic then I think this is correct / no change.
I think that on a basic fare, she wouldn't have had any other seat she could freely change to. I agree with your conclusion: it indeed feels a bit easier to get exit row seats for status pax for a reason we understand a bit better now, and all the more so that I believe you never get automatically assigned an exit row as status pax on a basic fare as you can't confirm capacity to operate the emergency procedures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.