Search

LCY morning queues?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
LCY morning queues?

Hi FT,

Most of my early morning flights are out of LHR, but it looks like I am on BA3291 out of LCY in a week or so (departs 08:20). What are the queues like at LCY ~7:30 (I have Silver so can use fast track, but get the impression that half of folks flying out of LCY probably do too). Is arriving at 7:30 cutting it too fine?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
There is no fast-track at LCY (would be more crowded than the regular line). Typical wait in the morning is 5 to 10 minutes, 15 minutes if you are really really really unlucky (such as secondary inspection). Arriving 7:30 will give you plenty of time after security. I would not arrive earlier, as there is no lounge and the waiting area can get crowded (gates are typically announced only 30 min or so before departure)
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk jamespi, and welcome to the BA forum. It's great to see you here, and I very much hope you can continue to participate.

There isn't fast track at LCY, since as you rightly point out, many, many users of LCY have status on the various frequent flyer programmes out there. My worst ever security there was 18 minutes, and that was fluke-ishly long, most of my timings are in the 5 to 10 minute area, and you need to be at the gate 15 minutes before departure, formally it's 10 minutes cut-off. So assuming you are HBO (hand baggage only) then a 7:30 arrival into Silvertown is fine, indeed yo don't want to be there too early since there isn't a lot to do airside. So HBO I would arrive no sooner than that and you'd have a good 15 minutes contingency. If you are checking in bags, then I wouldn't leave it any later.

It's always a good idea to put the destination as well as timings into your questions, it makes it easier for us to visualise what you are doing. I haven't managed to memorise the entire schedule (yet) and I doubt many other FTers have either! This is the Hamburg flight that leaves at 08:20.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks both for the quick responses - haven't flown from LCY before so this is really useful. Looks like I don't need to rush too much then, LCY isn't the easiest when you live an hour out of London. I am travelling HBO (to Hamburg - would have been Bremen but that route has been curtailed).
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
I would not arrive earlier, as there is no lounge and the waiting area can get crowded (gates are typically announced only 30 min or so before departure)
The new seating areas and eating places along the corridor to the gates have significantly reduced the overcrowding in the main departure area (which had got completely out of control). I frequently take the 08:20 departure to Berlin and never have a problem finding a seat in or near the new Pret a Manger at gate 4.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
The new seating areas and eating places along the corridor to the gates have significantly reduced the overcrowding in the main departure area (which had got completely out of control). I frequently take the 08:20 departure to Berlin and never have a problem finding a seat in or near the new Pret a Manger at gate 4.
Indeed, I rarely struggle to find plenty of space now, even in the peak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.