Wiki Posts
Search

Landside Connection HKG T1-T2

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Landside Connection HKG T1-T2

Im wondering if I can pick the collective brain here...

I have a flight coming up to Thailand which involves a connection with HK Express on separate tickets at HKG.

My question is, how easy is it to connect from landside to T2 from T1...?

The spanner in the works is that in essence I only have 1.5hrs from landing (BA31) to make check-in on time (-90 mins to departure).

Any advice appreciated!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
So easy, you can just walk over to T2 in less than 10 min. You've got lots of time.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rocketship87
So easy, you can just walk over to T2 in less than 10 min. You've got lots of time.
Thank you Rocketship87! That is just what I needed to hear!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is actually only one terminal in HKG in terms of flights, but two terminals for checking in. T2 is just a separate check-in area on the other side of the railway line, it has its own security in the basement, and then a mini transit which takes you the very short distance back under the railway line to T1.

If you can go hand baggage only, it's just like any other airside transfer in HKG, so my advice would be to do that, you arrive in T1 and depart from T1, there is no other terminal at that point. The reason being that the landside walk isn't 10 minutes, but you'd have to enter HKG and leave again, and if you can't use the passport e-gates then immigration and emigration can easily take 30 minutes to do that alone.

On separate tickets this is a dangerous strategy, unless you're ok with the risk and prepared to buy new tickets. You can buy BA + HK Express tickets in one PNR, I think that might even be available via the Contact Centre, and that would protect you. Clearly if you are mixing redemptions and revenue tickets that can't be done on one PNR.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Feb 26, 2017 at 3:35 am Reason: more detail
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:22 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by Atlantic 101

The spanner in the works is that in essence I only have 1.5hrs from landing (BA31) to make check-in on time (-90 mins to departure).

Any advice appreciated!
Personally I wouldn't have chosen HK Express but thats another matter.

Is 1.5 hours the same as 90 minutes?

Personally I would HBO, check in 48 hours before and use the direct transit areas rather than faffing around.

Edit: from some of the other replies I may have mis-understood, do you actually have 3 hours then until departure?

Last edited by Beano HK; Feb 26, 2017 at 5:40 am
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

There are transfer nodes spread out across T1. I have the following images stored in my phone which I frequently refer to whenever I am connecting at HKG.

The BA31 arrival gate is usually in the mid 60s but Gates 20-36 are not uncommon.

Image source: taken from Cathay’s Discovery mag
Attached Images   
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Easy peasy connection to make even with luggage assuming no major delays.

Even with immigration and collecting luggage (assume this takes around 30 mins from landing, if unlucky 45 mins). The walk over to T2 check-in should be 8-15 mins depending on luggage and your pace. You will be at check-in line within an hour of deplaning BA31.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beano HK

Edit: from some of the other replies I may have mis-understood, do you actually have 3 hours then until departure?

Yes, I actually have 3 hrs until departure, but check in closes at -.1.5hrs and I cant check in online for flights to Thailand apparently..

And as for HK Express, I have read some pretty bad reviews, but it was cheap and the timings were the best of a bad bunch! Wish me luck
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skba1
Easy peasy connection to make even with luggage assuming no major delays.
Thank you, this is promising info! Now just hope all goes smoothly at London end and all should be fine!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
There are transfer nodes spread out across T1. I have the following images stored in my phone which I frequently refer to whenever I am connecting at HKG.
Thanks, this is now saved on my phone!

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is actually only one terminal in HKG in terms of flights, but two terminals for checking in. T2 is just a separate check-in area on the other side of the railway line, it has its own security in the basement, and then a mini transit which takes you the very short distance back under the railway line to T1.
Great info as always. Always a risk on separate tickets..but I am a sucker for saving a few quid!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Given where all their planes were parked last week, I assume you'll be going out of the new midfield terminal (200 gates), so from gate 60 to T2 and back to the 2xx gates must be a distance of about 3kms. Yes most of this is by train, but it's going to add up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.