BA209/206 & A380 vs 747 Questions

Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:34 am
Original Poster

BA209/206 & A380 vs 747 Questions

I have some questions about a recent experience, I am not including specific dates in case the crew on the BA206 were doing something they were not supposed to do.

I recently travelled WTP on the A380 operated BA209 to Miami. Service was a trolley in each aisle, each manned with two cabin crew, to serve seven abreast (and then eight abreast assuming they continued back into WT). This is a contrast to the service in WT on the 747 which has a single crew member manning each trolley in each aisle per WT cabin at ten abreast. Do crews prefer the method of working in the A380 being able to make faster progress through the cabins?

I had to return in WT on the 747 operated BA206. This was a full flight in WT and service was incredibly slow. At one point, EIGHT of the entire crew were working the WT cabins - one in the galley, six in the rear WT cabin with three carts, and I could see one was still working the other WT cabin as the curtains were open. Is this normal for this route? Is it where (potentially slower) new recruits are placed as a part of long haul training? I have travelled WT 747 many times and never seen anything like it before. The lights were off for less than two hours before being put back on for breakfast.

Some further questions about the BA1390 to Manchester which was A321 operated when I flew. This had seven crew which seemed excessive. Six of the crew exited the airport at Manchester - I didn't realise there were crew based there although I guess it makes sense for the early morning flights. Are there a small number of crew at all domestic bases?

The BA App and an email notified me that the flight was very busy and I could check in my hand baggage for free. At the gate, pre boarding was offered to anyone who checked their hand baggage (which seemed a good idea - it had about 15 takers) and there were multiple gate announcements saying the flight was full. Again onboard we were told it was a full flight, place smaller items under the seat infront etc. I was in 2C and the first four or five rows had the middle seats empty - is this usual or a sign of things to come for Club Europe on Domestic? I travel to Heathrow to Manchester a few times each year and have not noticed this before.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA board

A380 trollies I believe are always manned by two crew (something to do with lighter trollies IIRC?)

Were you travelling during a strike period? MIA is a Mixed Fleet route and they have been operating certain flights with minimum crew.

There are no crew based outside London (well, certain international/overseas exceptions but let's stick to that for now). The crew would have likely operated a flight or two before LHR-MAN, overnight in MAN, then pick up the first flight back down the next day.

The middle seats free is thanks to Theoretical Seating - there are a few threads about that kicking around. Been about a year now.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by lpoolrob
I have some questions about a recent experience, I am not including specific dates in case the crew on the BA206 were doing something they were not supposed to do?

I recently travelled WTP on the A380 operated BA209 to Miami. Service was a trolley in each aisle, each manned with two cabin crew, to serve seven abreast (and then eight abreast assuming they continued back into WT). This is a contrast to the service in WT on the 747 which has a single crew member manning each trolley in each aisle per WT cabin at ten abreast. Do crews prefer the method of working in the A380 being able to make faster progress through the cabins?

The trollies used on the A380 and B787 are extremely light and have to be manned by two crew.
I had to return in WT on the 747 operated BA206. This was a full flight in WT and service was incredibly slow. At one point, EIGHT of the entire crew were working the WT cabins - one in the galley, six in the rear WT cabin with three carts, and I could see one was still working the other WT cabin as the curtains were open. Is this normal for this route? Is it where (potentially slower) new recruits are placed as a part of long haul training? I have travelled WT 747 many times and never seen anything like it before. The lights were off for less than two hours before being put back on for breakfast.[/B]
When the crew in the other cabins finish the majority of crew working in that cabin help in the cabins still working, this is normally WT but can be CW?
It sounds like you have a very inexperienced crew if the light were off so little time.

Some further questions about the BA1390 to Manchester which was A321 operated when I flew. This had seven crew which seemed excessive. Six of the crew exited the airport at Manchester - I didn't realise there were crew based there although I guess it makes sense for the early morning flights. Are there a small number of crew at all domestic bases?
There are no mainline domestic bases, LCY also have a EDI base.
The crew leaving in MAN would have been night stopping and the one remaining would be joining the crew getting on in MAN.

The BA App and an email notified me that the flight was very busy and I could check in my hand baggage for free. At the gate, pre boarding was offered to anyone who checked their hand baggage (which seemed a good idea - it had about 15 takers) and there were multiple gate announcements saying the flight was full. Again onboard we were told it was a full flight, place smaller items under the seat infront etc. I was in 2C and the first four or five rows had the middle seats empty - is this usual or a sign of things to come for Club Europe on Domestic? I travel to Heathrow to Manchester a few times each year and have not noticed this before.

Last edited by Can I help you; Feb 21, 2017 at 11:01 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

One of the crew with a Manchester accent specifically said he was going home to the others as he was leaving. He was very young, perhaps 'home' to him means to overnight with parents instead of where he now must live closer to his base.

For the 206, yes it was during a strike period, although it should make little difference, there are only usually five in WT anyway for the four corners service plus galley (going from past experience)?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
He maybe from Manchester and staying with his parents but would have had a hotel room provided.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just to give the ambassadorial greetings lpoolrob, welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum. The MAN flight is also Mixed Fleet, and for fleet routing purposes, 6 crew members may have been needed for the loads somewhere on their day. I hope you find this forum interesting, and I hope we will hear more from you in the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.