Wiki Posts
Search

Airside Exit from T3

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Airside Exit from T3

I'm debating heading to T3 early tomorrow and spending the day working from the CX lounge, however at some point I'll need to collect an Amazon parcel from the landside Post Office. Depending on when this arrives I may already be airside.

Has anyone done an airside exit from T3 lately? A quick search suggests it should be possible via Flight Connections (and indeed CWS's draft T3 map says the same), can anyone confirm if this still applies?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It still applies. However, I am not sure how you can get back in with the same boarding pass (not saying it can't be done, just unsure/unaware how).
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You can, but you're going to have a hassle getting back airside
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I wouldn't recommend if your onward journey is part of a larger itinerary - could cause you a lot of grief
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
It's an open-jaw positioning flight with BA, for an ex-EU starting on 23rd. I'm assuming that even if I am able to get back landside I would still have to re-visit a check-in desk to get the "Ready To Fly" status corrected.

I suspect the bigger challenge is what would happen to the checked bag...

Last edited by dakaix; Feb 21, 2017 at 10:57 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
I thought "Ready to fly" was only in T5?

Getting out of T3 through flight connections would require a one way door from the departure lounge to the arrivals stream, which I don't remember seeing last time I was there. I think you need to talk to someone to let you out.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think it is relatively easy. Leave the Cathay lounge, turn left, head towards the BA lounge without leaving the main corridor. Then follow the signs to Zone H, by the AA Admirals Club, and just beyond is a sign for Flight Connections. Thereafter is a sign for exiting T3, which indeed involves a double door. You need to ensure only one door is open at any one time. This is a legal exit route.

I think that Positive Boarding allows a second scan of boarding passes, it's not that clever. But I am sure you will report here on your experience.

The post office is right by the Fast Track security entrance.

I think I have spent too long in LHR.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think it is relatively easy. Leave the Cathay lounge, turn left, head towards the BA lounge without leaving the main corridor. Then follow the signs to Zone H, by the AA Admirals Club, and just beyond is a sign for Flight Connections. Thereafter is a sign for exiting T3, which indeed involves a double door. You need to ensure only one door is open at any one time. This is a legal exit route.
I'm curious... If you've arrived into T3 from X and are awaiting a connection to Y, i.e. you are not entering the UK, this seems to suggest you can go landside without passing through the UK Border?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
I'm curious... If you've arrived into T3 from X and are awaiting a connection to Y, i.e. you are not entering the UK, this seems to suggest you can go landside without passing through the UK Border?
Nope the door leads to Border Control
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
It leads you to the arrivals stream.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
So does this mean a passenger could leave for "fresh air" quite easily and re-enter without too much hassle at T3?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

I think that Positive Boarding allows a second scan of boarding passes, it's not that clever. But I am sure you will report here on your experience.

The post office is right by the Fast Track security entrance.

I think I have spent too long in LHR.
Oops, I mixed it up. T5 is the one you have to talk to someone to get out of, my bad. I remember getting yelled at when I tried to exit myself by taking the automatic train to the end of the line.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kumulani
Oops, I mixed it up. T5 is the one you have to talk to someone to get out of, my bad. I remember getting yelled at when I tried to exit myself by taking the automatic train to the end of the line.
You don't have to talk to anyone at T5. The transit route is still possible and a semi-official route to landside.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VFC Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, DYKWIA
Originally Posted by KARFA
You don't have to talk to anyone at T5. The transit route is still possible and a semi-official route to landside.
Unless HAL kick you off the transit at T5C
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:51 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by richi
Unless HAL kick you off the transit at T5C
Well tbh they mostly don't even do a check at T5C now anyway. And even if they did why would they kick you off?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.