Munich Airport - exit time?

Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Munich Airport - exit time?

Flying into Munich for the first time this Thursday and then planning on heading to one of the train stations.

I'm trying to work out timings but not knowing the airport at all, I've no idea if I can be off the plane and into the Metro in minutes, if they use buses, jetties, have a lot of walking etc.

So does anyone know roughly how long it would take me?
Flying BA in CE, arriving around 10am.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
It's a jetty almost all the time. So if sat close to the front with no checked baggage you'll be through in about 5 minutes if no lineup at passport control. After that it's another 5 minute escalator and moving walkway to the central area where the ticket machines for the S-Bahn are located. Take S8 into the city. There is one at 10:24 and if you miss that the next one is 10:44. It's very easy. The S-Bahn ride is about 40+ minutes to the centre though which is the one drawback to MUC. Even with checked bags you would easily make the 10:44
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Indeed; though the 10am arrival actually gets bussed quite regularly because of various widebodies leaving from T1B in the morning these days. Still, the 10:44 is definitely doable; 10:24 with a jetty
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can also download the MVV MobileTicket App to buy your ticket online rather than trying to get the machine to swallow Euro notes. Many German cities have apps for tickets (Hamburg and Bremen spring to mind).
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:53 pm

luggage at MUC can be slow to arrive on the belt, but immigration is fairly quick.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Hello,

please note that you can alternatively also take the S1 from the airport - the train will be approx 5min faster at Central St or 4min slower at Marienplatz, depending where you need to go (compared to S8). Your S-Bahn ticket is also a day travel ticket for the whole underground network.

Normally it takes me approx 15/20 min from leaving the gate to the central area where all S-Bahn trains depart.

Have fun in my hometown
Daniel
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
I flew LHR-MUC in December (BA926 arr 1240), and arrivals was awful. We were bussed, and were deposited in a *tiny* immigration area (half our bus, let alone flight, were left standing outside) right behind a flight from Russia. There were some passport machines, but they were rejecting a LOT of passports (mine included), and the 4 or 5 manned desks were ALL dealing with Russian passports (EU stickers were for decoration). Russian passports aren't quick to process, especially when the holder speaks no English or German. I think it took me close to half an hour to get through. Really a rubbish experience, and the complete antithesis of any notions of German efficiency.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Yes I've had a few BA arrivals into MUC and got to the passport control at the tail end of a flight from Moscow. It is a zoo as the queue is just a suggestion and there is no one making the straggler Russian passport holders leave at least one EU passport desk open for the BA flight's passengers. Generally though it's a very smooth experience.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
It's about 5 minutes walking at a decent clip from the aircraft door to the S-Bahn platforms ... adding on immigration time and time to wrestle with the ticket machines and you're looking at about 10 minutes unless you get stuck at passport control / struggle with the ticket machines ... add another 5 to 10 minutes if you get bussed

As others have noted there's two lines into the city centre - both use the same platforms so check the signs on the train etc... The S8 is generally faster but the S1 is faster if you are going to the West end of the city centre ... neither is exactly an express train, but they do the job just fine and if on your own dime a taxi is pricey enough as it's a long distance.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:00 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I took that flight last week and was out very quickly via jetty. No queue at all at passport control. I would have made the 10.24 train, but someone had advised me to take the bus instead and that was terrible advice! Good luck.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can also download the MVV MobileTicket App to buy your ticket online rather than trying to get the machine to swallow Euro notes. Many German cities have apps for tickets (Hamburg and Bremen spring to mind).
I agree with this advice, download the app and you can purchase your ticket while still in London. I've not tried the Android version of the app but on the iPhone the app store entry was in German so I wasn't sure whether the app would be available in English, good news was that the app is well translated and fairly simple to use (although not perfect).

The tickets you purchase in the app don't need to be activated immediately so if there's an issue with your flight and you don't arrive until the next day then this is still no issue.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Off to Munich myself in a few weeks so this is timely advice...haven't been for a few years!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
As touched upon above, the ticket machines are on the right as you walk towards the S-bahn, just behind the big DB ticket desk.

i.e. Buy your ticket before you get the escalator down to the S-bahn - don't make my mistake and blindly follow the 'S' sign without realising that there's nothing else down there.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I thought there were some on the platforms? Have these been removed recently?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Foltan
As touched upon above, the ticket machines are on the right as you walk towards the S-bahn, just behind the big DB ticket desk.

i.e. Buy your ticket before you get the escalator down to the S-bahn - don't make my mistake and blindly follow the 'S' sign without realising that there's nothing else down there.
... or use the app and avoid all the hassle

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.