£49 Upgrade ex LGW?

Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
£49 Upgrade ex LGW?

I haven't flown BA out of Gatwick for many years - basically trying to avoid them... I recall the last time I did they still had the upgrade to CE for £49 or similar amount available at Check In.

I rather doubt it is still offered even less so at that amount - but was wondering if anyone could confirm if ex-LGW they still offered upgrades at Check In to CE - am flying to RAK at the weekend and dreading the idea of 4 hours in ET..
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Airport upgrades are still available, but this thread suggests that the going rate is about £130 in the other direction.

You also get 80TP, so probably 60 or 70 extra, if that might help your status.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
In short No... If at all will be circa £130

See here for more details
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Out of interest - did you get a Promotional Upgrade through MMB? This varies and can be very reasonable also
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Better spend the money on an exit seat in ET and some MS goods....

CE is ET with nobody next to you.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can get AUPs at LGW in two locations. At the top corner of the check-in area in the corner, slightly hidden by a pillar. Also in the BA Lounge there is now a ticket desk in the reception on the left side. The landside desk has a picture in the LGW guide in the Dashboard. The airside desk is a new and welcome feature of the move to South since North didn't have this facility.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by henkybaby
CE is ET with nobody next to you.
I think the difference might be more significant noting that the OP is BAEC Blue.

Lounge access, TPs, catering, priority boarding and more
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And being first off in RAK could make quite a difference to queuing time upon arrival.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
IF you want to attain any status and it turned up for £49 I'd say the TP/Price ratio is not bad at all. But the days of such cheap upgrades are long gone.

I remember I used to be offered LHR-OTP upgrades for £59-£79 (mostly £64) a few years ago. Which was a very good deal I thought. Those days are long gone though.

As has already been said, upgrading to CE for the comfort, on an A319/A320 (and most A321s) isn't really worthwhile IMO. Seat and pitch is the same, with just a spacer in the middle seat.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:11 am

Location: Dorset, United Kingdom. Frequently at higher altitudes.
Programs: BAEC Gold and a few others
There is also a Fast Track arrivals service in RAK nowadays. Probably better to book exit row, take a picnic and have the arrivals service.. I think it was around £30 from memory. There is a small lounge immediately when you enter the airport building, on your right. You'll sit there while officials check paperwork. Then you'll be taken straight to the front of the queues. Very handy if you land after a couple of other flights. Also if it helps, it's been more like 3hrs when I've done it. So some window watching, a film, a snack, and hey presto, you're landing already.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
but do remember, don't a lot of the LGW fleet still have the old seating, with slightly larger leg room and proper convertible seats to business, (the ones where the arm rests move into the middle).

On my last JER B2B the plane had these, or was it a one off
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:28 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Not anymore, all planes have been converted to the current seat models.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndMrsJones
There is also a Fast Track arrivals service in RAK nowadays. Probably better to book exit row, take a picnic and have the arrivals service.. I think it was around £30 from memory. There is a small lounge immediately when you enter the airport building, on your right. You'll sit there while officials check paperwork. Then you'll be taken straight to the front of the queues. Very handy if you land after a couple of other flights. Also if it helps, it's been more like 3hrs when I've done it. So some window watching, a film, a snack, and hey presto, you're landing already.
Thanks for this ^

A RAK trip is on my radar - and your info here is all new to me. But then again, I haven't been there before (only Casablanca many years ago). Your strategy sounds appealing if it really works as well as you describe. I generally prefer additional leg-room of ET exit row anyway and with status perks just don't see (hard cash) CE as providing real value on these sort of sectors.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:41 am

Location: Dorset, United Kingdom. Frequently at higher altitudes.
Programs: BAEC Gold and a few others
No problem at all subject2load.

It does work well, just a case of sitting in the "lounge" for 5mins with a bottle water while they sort forms. Then it's straight to the front of the line. It beats queuing (can be an hour or so when it's really busy).

We use it for most of our clients flying in to Marrakech. Conversely, I don't see much value in the premium departure service given the low quality lounge offering which is not worth rushing to!

I really should do another TR that covers it..
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BA EC
online upgrade is around 90GBP if you got an invitation

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.