Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

(Nearly) Round the world for 240,000 Avios + £340 in Biz. Help make it better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Nearly) Round the world for 240,000 Avios + £340 in Biz. Help make it better?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Exactly. That is why it is not worth it. It is also why I would never do a AONEx anymore. That and the fact that lots of business class cabins are about as good or better than.... Oh no! Lets not go there.

Biggest cash savings are related to how s1362083 gets to IKA. Pegasus is only £111 for a one way in Y...
Or BA to IST/DME is also a good option with RFS but the additional leg from IST/DME to IKA pushed me over 25,000 miles flown and there was nothing else I was willing to sacrifice on the itinerary to make room for it, particularly as cash fares to Iran are unbelievably cheap all the time (except on BA of course).
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I had assumed the multiples to higher cabins were changed on this chart like normal Avios - very helpful to learn that they have not. It means that routes like LHR-*-*-AKL/ SYD in J should be significantly cheaper in Avios than just doing it in the vanilla way. If you include QR and/ or CX flights as well it would also be much more comfortable.
Yep, if you don't mind an additional stop one way then LHR-DOH-HKG-SYD-DOH-LHR is under 25,000 but to AKL is just over so will push you up to 280,000 Avios required. But FCO (or similar)-DOH-HKG-AKL-DOH-LHR would be OK and possibly save a lot in surcharges too. Or go RTW LHR-DOH-HKG-AKL-LAX-LHR!

Last edited by s1362083; Feb 15, 2017 at 4:26 pm
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I might just do that sometime. My main remaining dream trip is a hop around the Polynesian islands, but the start point is a bit far from Europe.

Edit: Is the additional stop even necessary? Couldn't you go out with QR and back with CX? I do believe the QR-AKL flight is the world's second longest flight at the moment?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I might just do that sometime. My main remaining dream trip is a hop around the Polynesian islands, but the start point is a bit far from Europe.

Edit: Is the additional stop even necessary? Couldn't you go out with QR and back with CX? I do believe the QR-AKL flight is the world's second longest flight at the moment?
True, didn't think of that!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
do flights on this table have to be rtrip? What are the routing rules? Stopovers?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:25 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
It has now become my goal for the next 18 months to execute something like this thanks for sharing and keep us updated on how it goes.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Wow - you really do learn something new every day here I had no idea you could build RTW itineraries like this with AVIOS. Well done OP!

I know it's not really on topic for FT , but the trip itself looks amazing! How long are you away for? It always break my heart when I see people TP running to Hawaii and spending a single night in Honolulu, such a missed opportunity to see a staggeringly beautiful place!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peck
I know it's not really on topic for FT , but the trip itself looks amazing! How long are you away for? It always break my heart when I see people TP running to Hawaii and spending a single night in Honolulu, such a missed opportunity to see a staggeringly beautiful place!

Thanks! I'll be away from mid-Sept to New Years so nearly 4 months. 3-4 weeks road trip in Iran, 1 week seeing family in India, 3 weeks cycling in Kyushu and Shikoku, 4 days scuba diving in Cairns and then 5 weeks of cycling in Patagonia to Ushuaia with a few short city stopovers to recuperate! Looking forward to every aspect of this trip, except the flying with a bike faff!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum
Thumbs up

I am astounded by this itinerary! Great work. ^
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by s1362083
Thanks! I'll be away from mid-Sept to New Years so nearly 4 months. 3-4 weeks road trip in Iran, 1 week seeing family in India, 3 weeks cycling in Kyushu and Shikoku, 4 days scuba diving in Cairns and then 5 weeks of cycling in Patagonia to Ushuaia with a few short city stopovers to recuperate! Looking forward to every aspect of this trip, except the flying with a bike faff!
Fabulous, what a trip! ^^ To say I'm jealous would be an understatement
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It won't matter for the OP's itinerary, but there was a posting within the last year or two indicating that on a multi-partner BAEC redemption, if a long leg (maybe the longest leg?) we're flown in BA Economy Class and the remaining legs were flown in Business Class on partner carriers, the entire trip would price as an Economy Class redemption!

YMMV.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other trick to think about -- at least if one lives within bus/train commuting distance of several oneworld cities -- is to book a few different trips on a single, multi-partner award. This is doable by booking months-long at cities near one's home, and then going home by bus, train, or maybe even LCC, between trips.

Again, this won't apply to the OP's itinerary, but might be useful to others.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by guv1976
It won't matter for the OP's itinerary, but there was a posting within the last year or two indicating that on a multi-partner BAEC redemption, if a long leg (maybe the longest leg?) we're flown in BA Economy Class and the remaining legs were flown in Business Class on partner carriers, the entire trip would price as an Economy Class redemption!

YMMV.
Probably this one. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25858274-post1.html
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes, that's the one. And it looks like the long leg in Economy can be on any carrier -- not just BA -- for the entire trip to price as an Economy redemption.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Yes, that's the one. And it looks like the long leg in Economy can be on any carrier -- not just BA -- for the entire trip to price as an Economy redemption.

Seems like a crazy rule. As the fares team is currently pricing my final route with a couple of minor changes, I have just requested that they change the longest leg to Y. Will post there outcome here but I'm not optimistic! I was told at one point I couldn't have a short Y leg in there even if I was prepared to pay J rate for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.