Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J to Tokyo - 777 or 787?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by UTFB
We've yet to decide but found some decent places in Sumida, Shinjuku and Shibuya.

We are there for someone's 30th birthday (bit of a different destination, I know!) so keen to have a good spread of nightlife and culture.
The Narita Express goes straight to Shibuya and Shinjuku. I wouldn't stay in Sumida if it were my choice.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Taken the plunge today - booked the 787 going out and 777 coming back. Gives me a few hours leeway if there's any issues with my KLM positioning flight to AMS.

Couldn't do the 787 on the return leg as wouldn't get back to AMS in time for my connection back to MME.

Not going to ditch the last leg either and jump on a one-way to NCL from LHR...will only save an hour or so in the end.

Thanks for all the advice and now I just need to decide where we shall stay in Tokyo!

UTFB.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by UTFB
Taken the plunge today - booked the 787 going out and 777 coming back. Gives me a few hours leeway if there's any issues with my KLM positioning flight to AMS.

Couldn't do the 787 on the return leg as wouldn't get back to AMS in time for my connection back to MME.

Not going to ditch the last leg either and jump on a one-way to NCL from LHR...will only save an hour or so in the end.

Thanks for all the advice and now I just need to decide where we shall stay in Tokyo!

UTFB.
Enjoy, Tokyo for a 30th sounds like a great idea to me. You could check out this thread for hotel suggestions across different price ranges - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ad-2017-a.html, it's very much a work in progress though!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
HND has much better views of the city and Fuji, so be sure to have a window seat on the left side on the plane...

this was the view 3 weeks ago from 11K (arriving in HND, so 11A equivalent for you). 777 was perfectly fine, great crew, so was the 787 back to London from NRT last week. Enjoy your time in Tokyo!

Old May 28, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just doing some planning and it appears the NRT flight will be moving to a 4 class 777 from the last Sunday in October.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by Moomba
Just doing some planning and it appears the NRT flight will be moving to a 4 class 777 from the last Sunday in October.
Thank you for heads up! Planning to do this trip in mid Oct. with wife and infant. Outbound in Club row 11 (bulk head cuddle seats) and back in F on 787. Appreciate heads up on schedule change!
Old May 29, 2017, 8:18 am
duo

Originally Posted by Moomba
I noticed this after I booked - anyone know why? Am disappointed as the 787 is a nicer/newer plane and am convinced you feel more refreshed on arrival.

I've flown to both HND and NRT - for me the biggest factor on which one you choose is where you're travelling in from. As HND is the earlier flight if you're travelling into London on the day it means early start, I was shattered when I did this route on arriving in Tokyo. The next time I flew into HND I stayed in London the night before and it made a huge difference - when I arrived in Tokyo I was out the airport within an hour and at the Hotel by 10am. However, when I arrived I found our room wasn't going to be ready until 2pm, but luckily they allowed me to use another room just shower. So this is something to consider. That being said I felt it gave us a 'bonus' day'.

As this trip we're unable to stay in London the night before we decided on the NRT flight - just to give us a bit more time in the morning.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA, Etihad
I did the 787 NRT return a couple of weeks ago. My first time in Tokyo. I chose it because the budget wouldn't stretch to JAL and I didn't fancy the 777 or it's timings. Both flights were great in CW, I slept well LHR to NRT but the daytime NRT to LHR dragged, mainly because I wanted to stay awake so I would sleep when finally home.
I took the limousine bus from NRT to Tokyo, really straightforward and easy, gave me a chance to have a quick nap on the bus and I didn't suffer with jet lag as badly as I was expecting.
NRT airport was fine, had to wait for the BA check in counter to open as had got there early (traffic wasn't as bad as advertised) so killed some time in the Starbucks. Security was quick and the lounge is light and airy (stay away from the smoking room end!) I also managed to pick up some matcha and sake flavoured kitkats for the office back home in the (rammed and rather chaotic) duty free on the main concourse!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:08 am

Hi! I am new here and this is my second post after introducing myself in the community thread so hello to everyone

I have read bits and pieces about this route; I am about to book a 2-4-1 redemption to Tokyo in February 18 and I was wondering about the 777 versions; by then no more 787 :/ the flight would be in First both ways what should I expect, are there the refurbished versions? It seems perhaps a bit early to tell. But sadly in February both HND and NRT are in 777 so I am a bit worried before booking! Thanks to everyone with a bit of info/advice!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by mrpacifist
Hi! I am new here and this is my second post after introducing myself in the community thread so hello to everyone

I have read bits and pieces about this route; I am about to book a 2-4-1 redemption to Tokyo in February 18 and I was wondering about the 777 versions; by then no more 787 :/ the flight would be in First both ways what should I expect, are there the refurbished versions? It seems perhaps a bit early to tell. But sadly in February both HND and NRT are in 777 so I am a bit worried before booking! Thanks to everyone with a bit of info/advice!
Hello and welcome! In brief, you can't go wrong either way and February is a lovely time to visit Japan.

777 to HND is always a 777-300. Not sure what 777 will be used to NRT in lieu of the 789.

I would choose based on flight times and convenience for your hotel. I would almost always choose HND. If you're desperate to try the 789 you can always take a later trip (e.g. NRT rotation is back to a 789 in May 18). Again, I would choose a 777 to HND even if a 789 was on offer to NRT.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Hello and welcome! In brief, you can't go wrong either way and February is a lovely time to visit Japan.

777 to HND is always a 777-300. Not sure what 777 will be used to NRT in lieu of the 789.

I would choose based on flight times and convenience for your hotel. I would almost always choose HND. If you're desperate to try the 789 you can always take a later trip (e.g. NRT rotation is back to a 789 in May 18). Again, I would choose a 777 to HND even if a 789 was on offer to NRT.
Thanks for the info! I was not aware honestly that a more recent plane was available on the HND route I will have a look into it. I am not sure if I am desperate to try the 787 (never travelled on the Dreamliner actually) but I have to say this would be the first First so I'd like to make things right and book us some kind of exceptional flight with the best product possible; unfortunately my dates are not that flexible and May is not an option sadly because the weather might have been better too!

I I'll have a look at the timings again for Haneda but thanks for all this information it is reassuring to honk of a 773 and not the dirty old 772 that I got last month in Florida for example. I would look for he seats availability as well and work out what would be the best ones to snap!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:41 am

I am trying now to sweeten the deal with the outbound to HND but coming back from HKG after visiting Hong Kong that I still do not know. That would make an A380 plus the 773 which is also a great thing to experience. Though I tried to talk to 2 different agents it was impossible to book anything this week-end (they asked me what was Haneda / HND, -__-). Let's see what the final plan will be but thanks for all this advice!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by mrpacifist
I am trying now to sweeten the deal with the outbound to HND but coming back from HKG after visiting Hong Kong that I still do not know. That would make an A380 plus the 773 which is also a great thing to experience. Though I tried to talk to 2 different agents it was impossible to book anything this week-end (they asked me what was Haneda / HND, -__-). Let's see what the final plan will be but thanks for all this advice!
That would be a great choice. Don't forget to buy your flight from Japan to HKG on JAL or Cathay using Avios -- given the low taxes, short/medium haul redemptions on JL and CX in the Far East are great value.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:14 am

That would be a great choice. Don't forget to buy your flight from Japan to HKG on JAL or Cathay using Avios -- given the low taxes, short/medium haul redemptions on JL and CX in the Far East are great value.
I had a look at some availabilities on BA and that's definitely worth it! Though these are not the latest SkySuite, I am sure JAL has a good product.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold

Actually it is not always a 777-300, last year in November they changed to a 777-200 for the winter; I got the 777-200 back from HND, which was fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.