FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   self boarding gates are here (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1818221-self-boarding-gates-here.html)

chris1979 Jan 28, 2017 1:34 am

self boarding gates are here

did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic - if it's already covered, mods, please merge or delete.

flew from A8 last night and noticed these banners advertising self-boarding / e-boarding gates as well as the gates themselves.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/...psahzsnk6a.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/...pswm089gwf.jpg

they weren't in use but clearly the are coming.

be interesting to see how priority boarding etc will work - will the gates refuse anyone through who doesn't have it or will boarding become even more 'free for all'....?

Happy Flying.

kwisstan Jan 28, 2017 1:40 am

My guess even more if a free for all. It states "All customers" on the boards.

How does the travel document check work?

Tobias-UK Jan 28, 2017 1:42 am

Originally Posted by kwisstan (Post 27828841)
My guess even more if a free for all. It states "All customers" on the boards.

How does the travel document check work?

Looking at the instructions on the board, these will be for domestic flights only.

kwisstan Jan 28, 2017 1:44 am

Your eyes are better than mine :cool: but then I'm viewing on a phone

bhbloke Jan 28, 2017 1:45 am

Yep only domestics, only time they will have your photo.

Flexible preferences Jan 28, 2017 1:46 am

Originally Posted by chris1979 (Post 27828834)
...be interesting to see how priority boarding etc will work - will the gates refuse anyone through who doesn't have it or will boarding become even more 'free for all'....?

Yeah, that's a very interesting point. One gate could be programmed to just accept eligible boarding passes, however, this would likely be clogged by people trying their luck before their priority is reached. The priority level currently boarding would need to be very very clearly shown for it to have any chance of working. I can see a bad-tempered scrum around any priority boarding gate...

corporate-wage-slave Jan 28, 2017 1:47 am

Previous discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...es-coming.html

What is certainly new is the banners, so yes I'm sure they are limbering up for finally switching these on. As shown in the previous thread, BA have been trying to get this to work properly for years, without much success. The machines had such a high failure rate it was frankly cheaper to get humans to do it, similar to the experience of self service check-in at locations other than LHR. Those of us who travel on Lufthansa and SAS are well used to these gates, the Lufthansa version is also "tuned" to enforce priority boarding, by the way. And even if they are not, people think they are!

crazyanglaisy Jan 28, 2017 1:47 am

Will be interesting to see how op-ups, exit row seat checks, and other random boarding pass troubles are handled. Perhaps it'll be akin to the Tesco self-service checkout situation where you have roaming assistants waiting to intervene everytime an issue arises that the technology can't handle. I fear this will be more annoying for everyone involved, particularly if the boarding becomes more of a free-for-all, as suggested above.

Flexible preferences Jan 28, 2017 1:47 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke (Post 27828849)
Yep only domestics, only time they will have your photo.

Isn't CE coming soon for domestics though?

Fitch Jan 28, 2017 1:49 am

I for one welcome this initiative, provided it does indeed control Priority Boarding consistently and particularly if it frees up staff to properly police hand baggage, give floating help etc.

Ldnn1 Jan 28, 2017 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences (Post 27828858)
Isn't CE coming soon for domestics though?

Not sure that makes a difference? Other than in setting boarding order.

The point being you only have a biometric photo for domestics, which is what the gates use to identify you.

Fitch Jan 28, 2017 1:57 am

I would guess the gate might ask you to scan your BP and swipe your passport so as to match the name on the PNR with that in the machine-readable text... which is pretty much all ground staff have the time to do now...

Ldnn1 Jan 28, 2017 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Fitch (Post 27828879)
I would guess the gate might ask you to scan your BP and swipe your passport so as to match the name on the PNR with that in the machine-readable text... which is pretty much all ground staff have the time to do now...

It's clear from the sign that there's a camera which will be used to match your face against the photo on file.

Similar to the e-gates at immigration, but rather than matching against your passport biometric photo, it will match against the photo taken at domestic security.

It could be used for non-domestic flights, but only for passengers with approved biometric passports.

DYKWIA Jan 28, 2017 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 27828890)
Similar to the e-gates at immigration, but rather than matching against your passport biometric photo, it will match against the photo taken at domestic security.

At immigration, this is a manual check, as the automatic matching wasn't accurate.

I wonder if it will be manual at the gates?
​​​

Flexible preferences Jan 28, 2017 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 27828870)
Not sure that makes a difference? Other than in setting boarding order.

The point being you only have a biometric photo for domestics, which is what the gates use to identify you.

I just wondered if there was CE on domestics then it would create a greater need for priority boarding, adding considerable complexity to the process.