Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

SPG star points for British Airways, upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Delta, American, Southwest, Marriott, United, JetBlue

We used SPG Starpoints to book a flight on British Airways, which turned out to be a great deal. (We did not transfer points to B.A. -- but on Spg.com we were able to book direct.) Does anyone know how I can pay cash (or spg points) to upgrade us from Economy to Premium Economy? I've called Starwood twice and B.A. twice and they each say they can't do it and I have to call the other. Thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
You will typically find that award bookings on BA cannot be upgraded further.

Welcome to FT and long may you prosper
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Mpress23.

IIRC an SPG Flights booking appears as a cash booking for other carriers. But am uncertain exactly how it works as I've not booked tickets in this manner.

As the OP is flying BA, we'll move this to the BA forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Welcome to FT Mpress23, and the BA forum!

To BA this will appear to be a travel agent booking which they won't touch yet. You may eventually get a Proactive Upgrade offer online, depending on your routing, but otherwise, all changes and upgrades would need to be through SPG/the agency they use to ticket. If they say no, then there isn't much that can be done except to ask at the airport what price upgrades are that day.

Can you perhaps cancel and rebook without losing too much?

If this is a cash booking (from BA's point of view), don't forget to add your American Airlines AAdvantage number: You should be able to earn AA miles on this SPG award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.