Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat cushion completely missing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by T8191
The basource website will identify the airframe.

It's a shame the OP hasn't (or has she?) got photographic evidence.
Yes this is unfortunate otherwise the CAA would certainly be telling BA to "show them a lot of *******money". The cracks in this company that the BA employees have been telling us about for the last few years are definitely starting to show in ways that aren't just service cutbacks.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:01 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by AirNurse
Did not think to take photos. Obviously I should have. Again, seeing that I handled this all wrong from the start, and I am feeling a bit silly. My only defense is that it was a rough day, schlepping kids and bags to Heathrow, sitting around during the delay in boarding, etc. I think that had I been operating on all cylinders I would have handled the situation differently.
You should never have been put in this position in the first place.

BA's handling of this looks to have been absolutely appalling from start to finish and I agree with T8191's assessment that the regulatory authorities ought to take a look at this to ensure that BA takes real action to ensure that it never happens again.

I'm also quite disappointed that this sort of thing can happen on a relatively new aircraft.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Don't worry about not having pictures the CSD should be able to confirm the details of both of these seats which should have been entered in the Cabin Defects Log, they will also have to confirm what actions they took.
I would be tempted to write directly [email protected].
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
AirNurse ... to save you searching ... https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/Make-...afety-concern/
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I feel so sorry for you AirNurse that you were treated with such contempt by an airline that was happy to take your money, but which then failed to provide even the basic component of your journey : a seat.

It beggars belief that there really are cabin crew being paid monthly by BA to 'handle' such serious concerns of passengers in the way that those onboard your flight did. Not only do they cause distress to people like yourself ; they let down all those colleagues who try their best every day to do a good job.

Your truly miserable experience was then compounded by the meaningless letter received from BA Customer Relations. Many of us are (sadly) so familiar with these typically shameful responses that they no longer come as a surprise. But when you take a step back, it is hard to understand just what sort of business culture it is that allows such letters to be written and sent.

Others here have suggested a raft of potential avenues for pursuing your grievance further, and I can only hope that you eventually secure whatever you consider to be a satisfactory form of redress. Be aware that this might prove something of a battle, given BA's track record of intransigence when faced with even the most blatant failings.

As an aside, those who question why it is that the Forum contains what might appear to be a disproportionate amount of 'negative' content need look no further than this, and numerous other threads detailing wholly unacceptable incidents.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The life jacket is stowed under the seat and does not involve the seat cushion.

Ah ok. I know in some safety briefings it mentions this.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
US Airways was a famous one for this on some of their aircraft. (Not sure if the LUS aircraft still have this - have not been on one for a while, as I mainly get AA birds normally).
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
For a pleasant change, we all seem to be being supportive of the OP, instead of blaming her for events

As for the BA CC, and subsequently BA CR, it just beggars belief.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
As for the BA CC, and subsequently BA CR, it just beggars belief.
Have you been asleep for 12 months? Welcome to the new BA.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I think this is a US thing for aircraft that stay over land for the much of the flight - so not transoceanic.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I must admit I got a better reply from BA about buy on board catering (not compensation as I had no flights booked at the time, I just wanted reassurance Club Europe was not going to become 'free M&S' before making any summer bookings).

They called me to reassure me CE would still have a dedicated menu. I'd have thought something like this would have warranted a call from someone senior in customer relations to find about more information on the issue and discuss compensation.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's not a good situation, and though I guess you could try whistling the aviation authorities / CAA - and that process wise is the best thing to do - nevertheless I know how this will work. Or rather not work. It will just drown.

Personally I would use CEDR or the small claims process of your jurisdiction - and I know California has such a thing - to recover a chunk of money from BA. We know that there are limitations to what Customer Relations will now do, if you escalate it to the right channels then more may be achievable but why go through that hassle for an uncertain outcome? Work out what this is worth to you (half of the sector fare? dunno) and use the avenues open to you. When enough people have gone down that route, and BA's legal department bills start to add up, then Customer Relations will doubtless be given more leeway again.

Whatever you do, please keep us posted. There is a lot of helpful commentary in this thread, and in the past there have been similar threads - and yet we don't get to hear the outcome. And don't blame yourself in anyway, it is BA's responsibility to ensure you had a proper seat.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

I really appreciate everyone's input, support and feedback! I feel much more confident going forward, and hopefully can reach an acceptable resolution with BA. What that resolution should or will be, I do not know -- I get the feeling that I may hit a wall with the usual token 5,000 Avios, which really does not seem acceptable considering that this was an 11 hour flight. However I am not looking to cash in or profit from a safety issue, so there has to be some balance there.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Well, it is not so much about you profiting from the issue, but BA being punished enough so that they will take notice. I don't think that getting more Avios will wake them up, but a money claim or a complaint to the CAA may have a more lasting effect.

People need to stop thinking that compensation is for the benefit of the customer only. It is not about 'compensation cultures', it is about having a mechanism in place that will keep the service provider honest.

Frankly, the reports about the way BA responds to serious complaints, is one of the biggest reasons I am very hesitant to book them, even with Avios. I am fine with them waiving away 'the crew was grumpy' complaints, but not complaints like these.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA silver
I think they are lucky that neither of you have back problems after your flight.This just can't be something that BA brush aside. All of the complaints we are hearing now, and the disinterest BA seems to be showing, makes me lose faith in the airline and wonder when it will be my turn to experience a very poor flight experience with no one caring. And I am sure others have started to think the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.