Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
I think that anyone who starts a sentence with "I'm a Silver member and fly regularly with BA..." certainly falls into this category, irrespective of the nature of the complaint.
I don't think it's illegitimate to have a quiet but firm chat with the gate agent, as I have done in the past at certain outstations (looking at you AMS) when connecting to F as a GGL, if they try to take your "non-guaranteed" wheelie bag off you due to the flight being full. Needless to say that space was found in the overheads. DYKWIA? Not really.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
I think that anyone who starts a sentence with "I'm a Silver member and fly regularly with BA..." certainly falls into this category, irrespective of the nature of the complaint.
This guy definitely does then:

Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Oh, a Luxe Ruby

Do they board before ordinary Rubies?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jwhite9185

Looks like he (#luxe travelist) has started a new job at "The Appointment Group Global Private Clients - an international luxury travel company with over 25 years’ experience of arranging bespoke and inspiring worldwide holidays for high net-worth individuals, celebrities and VIPs.- TAG Global Private Clients announces new Product & Business Development Manager

How to make a first impression!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Skyline
Looks like he (#luxe travelist) has started a new job at "The Appointment Group Global Private Clients - an international luxury travel company with over 25 years’ experience of arranging bespoke and inspiring worldwide holidays for high net-worth individuals, celebrities and VIPs.- TAG Global Private Clients announces new Product & Business Development Manager

How to make a first impression!
A customer list that will not be going near BA or any other scheduled carrier.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I don't think it's illegitimate to have a quiet but firm chat with the gate agent, as I have done in the past at certain outstations (looking at you AMS) when connecting to F as a GGL, if they try to take your "non-guaranteed" wheelie bag off you due to the flight being full.
Sounds trčs DWKWIA to me.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:25 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
We were travelling the other day in CE and it was suggested that 4 yr old master Jed's Lightning McQueen wheelie (with gold luggage tag attached, should I add) might be checked into the hold. His response... "but my Terry's chocolate orange and power rangers are in there".
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by Jed
We were travelling the other day in CE and it was suggested that 4 yr old master Jed's Lightning McQueen wheelie (with gold luggage tag attached, should I add) might be checked into the hold. His response... "but my Terry's chocolate orange and power rangers are in there".
^ (I may have to try that line myself sometime!) @:-)

Thanks for the smile!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Jed
Now, that is truly a good reason why a bag shouldn't be checked. Wouldn't want the chocolate to melt.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
He ended up stomping off away from the GA towards the plane but was stopped by another gate agent (perhaps a supervisor) who told him on no uncertain terms that if the bag wasn't checked he wasn't going on the flight. I suspect the second gate agent would have made nothing of it if the passenger hadn't been so rude to the original GA.
Maybe airports need some kind of protection systems against DYKWIA. Whenever a passenger goes into DYKWIA mode:

Originally Posted by CloudGazer
I watched with glee as I saw him place his passport into the wheely bag due to be hold-checked. You have to love a bit of karma!
And you didn't stick around to see what happened at the end!?

Originally Posted by wrp96
Now, that is truly a good reason why a bag shouldn't be checked. Wouldn't want the chocolate to melt.
I sometimes put cheese in checked luggage explicitly to keep it cool. Traveled with a pot of stilton from London across the channel in November.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by WorldLux

I sometimes put cheese in checked luggage explicitly to keep it cool. Traveled with a pot of stilton from London across the channel in November.
Are aircraft holds cold?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by HilFly
Are aircraft holds cold?
Usually colder than the passenger cabin but it depends on the aircraft. The hold is less insulated and only some aircraft can control the temperature in there. For those that can't regulate temperature in one or both holds, the recirculating airflow from the cabin keeps the temperature somewhat sane.

Perishable cargo is more likely to get damaged sitting on the ground waiting to be loaded/unloaded.

Last edited by 1010101; Jun 28, 2017 at 8:11 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jed
Even I wouldn't deny a Jedi his chocolate.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by Jed
I'll be keeping that one up sleeve for the next time I'm asked to check hand luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.