Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman
to the OP: (I haven't had time to read through all 60+ pages of the post but I get the gist) Directed towards me and my best pal last year when flying Domestic (pre CE on Domestics so a one cabin flight) but on a Mid Haul A321 LHR/EDI during boarding and seated in 3D/F Club World seats ''Guys like them don't have kids to pay for so they can afford to sit up here'' chuckle chuckle. Chuckle chuckle back! BYE!!!!
I always thought that people sitting in CW/F were loaded until I came across this forum. Now I know you just need a bit of savvy
It always amuses me how a random passer by can immediately assess exactly how much you earn, what you had for breakfast and the size of your house merely by the seat you occupy on an aircraft!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:59 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
My partner once booked me on a trip and used the 'Dr'. While I don't know any more than I type here, on one of the flights, a crew member came and stood right next to my seat and asked loudly if there was a doctor on board as there was a passenger in need of attention. They might have spotted the 'Dr' on the manifest, or it might have been coincidence. I don't know.
Slightly off topic I know, but I guess this falls into the "I don't want you to know who I am" variant...
I know several medical doctors who actively refrain from booking tickets under their title of 'Dr'. They say they do enough charity for the NHS and do not expect to be interrupted when on holidays. I guess there is also the matter of a potentially awkward situation of drinking on board and saying they couldn't help because of having too much- they don't Trust their medical council not to interrogate them further in that eventuality.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jed
Slightly off topic I know, but I guess this falls into the "I don't want you to know who I am" variant...
I know several medical doctors who actively refrain from booking tickets under their title of 'Dr'. They say they do enough charity for the NHS and do not expect to be interrupted when on holidays. I guess there is also the matter of a potentially awkward situation of drinking on board and saying they couldn't help because of having too much- they don't Trust their medical council not to interrogate them further in that eventuality.
Funny story. My friend has a PhD. So he puts Dr. One fine day, a FA approached him, Dr. XXX, can you assist us with a medical emergency? My friend responded, "I'm not that kind of doctor". After hearing his story, I changed mine from Dr. back to Ms. You really don't want me there in a medical emergency. I'll be beyond useless.
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Not BA related, but I was first in line at the business class check-in counter for my PS flight back to KBP earlier today at BCN, and this woman just pushed me aside and went to the agent. When I pointed out to her that there was a line and that I was the first person in it, she told me in a very condescending tone that she did not see me... I guess she thought I was a tree or a statue when she pushed me aside...
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by solewalker
Funny story. My friend has a PhD. So he puts Dr. One fine day, a FA approached him, Dr. XXX, can you assist us with a medical emergency? My friend responded, "I'm not that kind of doctor". After hearing his story, I changed mine from Dr. back to Ms. You really don't want me there in a medical emergency. I'll be beyond useless.
In the flush of passing my viva I put “Dr” everywhere I could, including BA. The next flight I took, I was asked on boarding, “are you a medical doctor?” Haha no, no that kind of Doctor, I laughed somewhat shame-facedly. I’ve never been asked again.

I strongly suspect a note was put on my file...
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
The correct response is " I have a higher degree in science, not a masters in medicine"
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by flatlander
No, as Profesor Doctor Doctor (if he was German) Paul Krugman humorously mentioned: https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/20...hansa/?mcubz=1
Did he also give you the news, that you've got a bad case of loving you?
Calchas and Kiara like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by solewalker
My girlfriend is a Consultant Psychiatrist and uses the Dr title. She had always been dreading getting caught up in a medical emergency, and on a recent Aer Lingus flight it finally happened. Imagine her relief when on informing the stewardess that she was happy to assist if needed but was a Psychiatrist, the crew member said "oh no, we need a "real doctor". Several registrars travelling with her seemed hell bent on arguing she is a real doctor, but an off duty nurse was deemed a better option by the crew!
T8191, Calchas and Kiara like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Smid
Did he also give you the news, that you've got a bad case of loving you?
^
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
but an off duty nurse was deemed a better option by the crew!
Well if, for example, I was having a heart attack and the 'off duty nurse' was a cardiac nurse practitioner then I can assure you that would be my choice over a consultant psych.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:59 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
My girlfriend is a Consultant Psychiatrist and uses the Dr title. She had always been dreading getting caught up in a medical emergency, and on a recent Aer Lingus flight it finally happened. Imagine her relief when on informing the stewardess that she was happy to assist if needed but was a Psychiatrist, the crew member said "oh no, we need a "real doctor". Several registrars travelling with her seemed hell bent on arguing she is a real doctor, but an off duty nurse was deemed a better option by the crew!
No DYKWIA here but in my nursing days, doing an LGW-NBO at the back, a male pax came to the rear toilets and duly collapsed at my seat. I jumped up and started attending immediately. The WT purser had seen it happen from the galley and ran up. Credentials verified and my bag containing med kit was brought to me by my colleague and purser went to get the aircraft med kit. As she was coming back, another person came behind her and asked if he could assist. On the purser turning around, she clocked that he was a priest and kindly advised he was not needed yet . Thankfully the 'patient' was okay after a few minutes.

S
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Ah but they also don't recognize non-European universities. Even fake ones.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031304353.html
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Those who may recall 'Sgt Slingsby', a fund-raising Teddy Bear, will wish to note that he is licenced to perform marriages. I will not elaborate on my Baronial title
Calchas and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:23 am

Was flying EDI-LHR and the gate was very crowded. The priority line had just finished boarding and myself and the rest of the regular line had remained standing still. A lady walks up to very close to the front, just in front of one other pax and myself. She squints and then just stays still for 15 seconds. The other pax and I stare and each other, horrified at what's just happened.

I politely inform the lady about the end of the queue being back that way. She responded that she was in row 24 and they called row 1-28. The other pax informed her that the aircraft has only 28 rows and everyone here is waiting in this line.

The lady does not go to the back of the line, but instead stands just behind the other pax and I. We turn around, with obvious looks of disgust on our faces.

She has a go at us for looking at her in a strange manner. She claims she has just arrived here (and seemingly doesn't know how queues work?). Proceeds to get very upset with us for looking at her/calling her out.

I inform said lady she may continue to feel this way as look as she likes, at the back of the line. She huffs and puffs and order is once again restored to the universe. The other pax and I celebrate this victory of order over chaos.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
Was flying EDI-LHR and the gate was very crowded. The priority line had just finished boarding and myself and the rest of the regular line had remained standing still. A lady walks up to very close to the front, just in front of one other pax and myself. She squints and then just stays still for 15 seconds. The other pax and I stare and each other, horrified at what's just happened.

I politely inform the lady about the end of the queue being back that way. She responded that she was in row 24 and they called row 1-28. The other pax informed her that the aircraft has only 28 rows and everyone here is waiting in this line.

The lady does not go to the back of the line, but instead stands just behind the other pax and I. We turn around, with obvious looks of disgust on our faces.

She has a go at us for looking at her in a strange manner. She claims she has just arrived here (and seemingly doesn't know how queues work?). Proceeds to get very upset with us for looking at her/calling her out.

I inform said lady she may continue to feel this way as look as she likes, at the back of the line. She huffs and puffs and order is once again restored to the universe. The other pax and I celebrate this victory of order over chaos.
I was almost hoping she attempted a punch and you had to carry out a citizens arrest.

I had one today leap to the front of the economy queue right before boarding waving his CE tickets and promptly shown the rather long CE queue.

He looked a tad bemused however so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt....but I'll be keeping an eye open.
Calchas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.