Old Jan 2, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
** AA Domestic First on two cabin will earn business TPs and avios for departures on or after 11 January 2017 - see reference posts for more details **

** Note that the practice of AA Domestic 3-class service flights booking into A for 210 TPs when I was no longer available ceased in September 2017. Discussion here. **

Welcome to the thread. This is a continuation of the highly popular 2016 Tier Point thread. We keep track of other prices, as well as useful reference information for those planning tier point runs.

Please read the first few posts in this thread first as it contains lots of information which may answer your question.

This is a community-maintained wiki post. Please add important information to it or correct outdated information by clicking the "Edit" button below!

Current Promotions of Interest
Sale Fares
  • from AMS/RTM to US ILN4T7S6/INX6T7S6 reported in this post and this post, e.g. NYC - 1,461, ORD - 1,492, LAS - 1,460, needs to be booked by 25 September, see linked post for details
  • from PRG to US ILN4T8S6 reported in this post, e.g. IAD - 1,033, MIA - 1,133, ATL - 1,080, needs to be booked by 21 September, see linked post for details

Advanced Promotion Fares
  • from DUB to US ILN8C1S6 reported here, e.g. NYC - 1,472, MIA - 1,578, see linked post for details
  • froM DUB to US ILN8S4C1 reported here, e.g. JFK - 1,427, MIA - 1,532, LAS - 1,667, LAX - 1,795, HNL - 2,095, this is an advanced purchase fare so no book by deadline, see linked post for details
  • from OTP to PHX ILN8R4C1 reported here, e.g. PHX - 1,252, see linked post for details
  • from AMS to BKK INCEU60 reported here, e.g. BKK - 1,216, see linked post for details

See here in post # 8 for a 2017 archive of exEU sale fare, and see here in post # 445 for a 2016 archive of exEU sale fares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread lists attractive tier point (TP) runs under 3 per TP grouped within different (departure) geographies

Please note that current availability is not guaranteed and all prices include taxes. Please use the following convention when adding tier point runs to this wiki post:
Date fare checked Price per Tier Point Total Price Total Tier Points Route Booking Classes Booking Channel Credit Notes (if applicable) Airlines

Please remember to:
  • Convert currencies to GBP, rounding to the nearest pound.
  • Post full routes and full booking classes.
  • Note any restrictions on booking in the Notes section.
  • List in order of price per tier point within the relevant departure area.

Please see the links at the bottom of the wiki for archives of runs from previous years.

From Europe

24APR 0.90/TP 400 440 TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-KOI-ABZ ; TLL-BA/AY-HEL-LON-GLA-SDZ-ABZ (see post #1221)
02NOV 1.33/TP 583 440 LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR-NCL//NCL-LHR-HEL-TLL/TLL-HEL-LHR IIIIIIIIII Google Flights armouredant 2 nested tickets, both other a Saturday night. BA ticket, BA & AY metal, AY A350 possible LHR-HEL
08FEB 1.33/TP 346 260 JER-LGW-RAK-LGW-RAK I/I/I/I BA.com ramops
14AUG 1.65/TP 593 360 OSL-HEL-AGP-HEL-OSL I-I-I-I ITA Flythe96flag SH J cabin + possible red-eye (!) AY
26JUL 1.81/TP 72.70 40 MAD-FRA Z lan.com Prospero 787 flat bed LA
1JAN 1.85/TP 444 240 JER-LGW/LHR-HEL J/I/I/J ITA Matrix flatlander Available most weekends first half of 2016, fare IM0R
23NOV 1.89/TP 377 200 DUB-LHR-MAD-SVQ r/t I-I-I-I-I-I ITA Lorcancoyle IM0B IB DUB to SVQ BA and IB flights (I2 for domestic under IB code), random dates in December available, A340 on some dates (helpfully pointed out by Temps that domestic Spain is only 20 TPs)
24NOV 1.91/TP 765.00 400 BUD-DOH-SHJ I/A/I/A QR.com Wozza2404 A320 QR
11AUG 2.10/TP 420 200 AMS-LHR-GLA-LSI-ABZ-LSI-GLA-LHR-AMS I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix --> Priceline.com MrMutton
13NOV 2.56/TP 410 160 LHR-HEL ? BA.com Lorcancoyle wide open as flight+hotel, can reduce with TCB cash back BA

From North, Central and South America
26Jan 1.50/TP 960 640 LGA-CMH-DCA-PHL-RDU-CLT-ATL-MIA-PTY and return I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I/I ITA Matrix--> BookWithMatrix dot com --> AA.com HPN-HRL other routings available; reverse routing is 40 more - see post 388 AA
10MAY 2.50/TP 203 80 ORF-CLT-ORD I/I AA.com
21MAY 2.08/TP 250 120 YYZ-PHL/LGA-CLT-ORF/PHF I/I/I AA.com
22NOV 1.43/TP 172 120 DCA-(LGA/BOS/PHL)-CLT-RDU (one way, reverse works as well) I/I/I ITA->BWM->priceline.com

From Middle East, Asia and Australasia
23Feb 0.99/TP 356 360 TPE-xKUL-PEN(JHB)-xKUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com ermen two day min stay, promo fare MH
04JAN 1.10/TP 44 40 KUL-PEN D http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en.html fitch Works in both directions, rtn 80 if you can make the timnings work MH
11Nov 0.85/TP 307 360 TPE-KUL-SIN-KUL-TPE Z http://www.malaysiaairlines.com neofung

From Africa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need a year-end TP run (ex-LON) to make / retain status?
Some tips for searching for the year-end TP run for newcomers, the below is indicative only, but hopefully provides a bit of guidance for relatively straightforward runs ex-LON. The guide to using ITA matrix in post #4 (see here) along with these ideas, might come in handy. Feel free to share results, problems or general questions in the thread as these may not always work and there might be better deals out there...

For overnight trips remember to check BA and Iberia for their flights and hotel option as well, can get hotel for almost no extra cost at times

Need 80 TPs or fewer
Club Europe return somewhere close by is best - DUB, AMS and JER usually cheapest. AMS and JER easier than DUB for an immediate turnaround. The BA.com low fare finder can be very useful.

If you need as few as 45 TPs you might consider booking economy flights and hoping for a proactive online upgrade offer - but they're not guaranteed to materialise (so not one if you have no more time left in your TP collection year). Alternatively, booking a return to one of the 40 tier point destinations with one way in CE and the return in ET (or vice versa if cheaper). Bilbao, Jersey and Amsterdam seems the most cost effective for this.

Need 85-120 TPs
Iberia flights via MAD to regional Spanish airports will get you 120 TPs as the domestic Spanish flights are 20 TPs in business. Under 300 including hotel can be available. Check BIO, GRX, VLC, BCN, SVQ etc. Example here

Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post (here) MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under 500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports)

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for 520. Also the BA fare for LHR-HEL-TLL at ~235 is still available and would get 200 TPs for a return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Historic information
2016 Archive
2015 Archive (6 months Jul to Dec)
2015 Archive (6 months Jan to Jun)
2014 Archive

Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 master thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
No, the problem on these ex-CAI fares with payment is such they have to make a manual payment, nothing wrong with the fare itself. The way this requirement for manual payment presents itself is that: first their system freezes, they reboot, and then they explain they will need the full 15/16 digits of your credit card as for manual payments they can't use the stored card details in your account
This was the ex-ARN fare, but that's exactly what happened re the manual payment. So why do some of these fares need a manual payment?
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by billinghamn
This was the ex-ARN fare, but that's exactly what happened re the manual payment. So why do some of these fares need a manual payment?
I am not an expert on the field regarding when manual payment is required, but from experience seems every time I have 8 or more segments this happens to me.
Maybe someone from BA could actually qualify the details.
Interestingly, whenever I call in to speak about these fares the agent refers to them as RTW, to which I reply 'almost'
Calchas likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I was looking for November or December of this year, but failing that, June could work - more so to ensure I keep my CCR status!

Would you be able to see if anything shows for November/December?

M
Quitea few dates available in Nov, Dec - how about these?
Attached Images  
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
No, the problem on these ex-CAI fares with payment is such they have to make a manual payment, nothing wrong with the fare itself. The way this requirement for manual payment presents itself is that: first their system freezes, they reboot, and then they explain they will need the full 15/16 digits of your credit card as for manual payments they can't use the stored card details in your account
Oh great
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:46 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I was looking for November or December of this year, but failing that, June could work - more so to ensure I keep my CCR status!

Would you be able to see if anything shows for November/December?

M
Yes you have actually spotted the problem. There are two fares at work here. There is a fare which only allows midweek travel but is not date restricted, and one which allows any day but has the usual date restrictions (probably 23-30 November). If you do not want to travel midweek you need to be within the travel date restrictions of the other fare, and aks120 gives an example above.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by aks120
Quitea few dates available in Nov, Dec - how about these?
Brilliant! Many thanks!

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes you have actually spotted the problem. There are two fares at work here. There is a fare which only allows midweek travel but is not date restricted, and one which allows any day but has the usual date restrictions (probably 23-30 November). If you do not want to travel midweek you need to be within the travel date restrictions of the other fare, and aks120 gives an example above.
Thanks for the info - I need to do some sort of ITA course!

If there is a midweek fare, that would be better for me than a weekend fare.

Any ideas if the midweek fare works for November/December?

M
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks for the info - I need to do some sort of ITA course!

If there is a midweek fare, that would be better for me than a weekend fare.

Any ideas if the midweek fare works for November/December?

M
INX6T7S6 fare doesn't have any travel date restrictions, but states:

FROM EUROPE - PERMITTED TUE THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
TO EUROPE - PERMITTED MON THROUGH WED ON EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
and

TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 7 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
The similarly priced ILN4T1S6 fare states:

PERMITTED
20NOV 17 THROUGH 25NOV 17 OR
19DEC 17 THROUGH 31DEC 17 OR
01APR 18 THROUGH 08APR 18
FOR EACH TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Amarone
Thanks - never thought of doing that. I'll remember that suggestion for the next time.

According to ITA Matrix with my dates the only way to get A class was by using the BA codeshares. AA say I can't book seats on these flights despite being operated by AA so I guess I'll need to contact BA and perhaps AY to sort this out. A very minor issue though!
Amarone, what's worked for me before on multi leg bookings is to use Powertools, and choose the German AA site. It does mean paying in Euro, but the process has been reassuring and the email confirmation instant, with the e-ticket a few minutes later.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:07 pm

I've tried to set ITA up exactly like this, and yet I can't replicate your routing for some reason.

Perhaps it's because I'm trying to leave on a Saturday opposed to a Thursday, but it just keeps faulting!

M
Personally I'd search without specific flight numbers to begin with.
So something like
ARN
HEL LHR JFK LAX
LAS
LAX JFK LHR HEL

Search for calendar of lowest fares then when you have a date range thats suitable go on expert flyer and look for flights with no I availability and key in the flight numbers for those dates.
Tafflyer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:03 pm

Departing on INX6T7S6 from ATH/LCA/PFO can be cheaper.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...-1-3-1-5k.html
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Massive thanks to aks120, KARFA and wonderman for all of your tips.

So, as some know, my flying rule is that I must be home (unless Mrs msm2000uk is with me) on a Friday night.

I've managed to replicate the routing using the destination codes, opposed to the specific flight numbers, and that has given me prices of around 1,496 for either 25-28 November, or 23-26 December. The latter option doesn't work as I've got family stuff on 25/12, albeit non-Christmas related!

So, the 25-28 November flights seem to work best, although the departure from ARN is at 08:40, which is an impossibility for me - so I need to look into a different departure flight (if there is one for the price).

I'll do some looking this morning, and hopefully that will yield a set of flights which work - although I think I may be trying to have my cake and eat it!

Many thanks!

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Aug 21, 2017 at 1:21 am
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:57 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Departing on INX6T7S6 from ATH/LCA/PFO can be cheaper.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...-1-3-1-5k.html
you can do also
LCA-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAS
LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR/LGW-PFO
1060tier with A between jFK-LAX

you can miss last leg and 80tier
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Canada ex Europe on the menu somewhere?

Hi everyone, hope you are all having a lovely day.

I just returned from a DUB-LHR-JFK-PHX-LAX return tier point run and it was quite fabulous, so thank you very much for helping me with that earlier on.

I am planning to go to Victoria, Canada (YYJ) in November for a week. Played with the matrix for a bit and best I could come up with was 1640 ex DUB or AMS, but unfortunately those are not on BA or any OneWorld metal, so I need help (I'm LON based)

Does anyone have an idea up their sleeve for this? Any input highly appreciated.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by p78
you can do also
LCA-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAS
LAS-LAX-JFK-LHR/LGW-PFO
1060tier with A between jFK-LAX

you can miss last leg and 80tier
Any tips on getting this to price either in matrix or elsewhere? It's falling over when I put a HEL connection in.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by savzur
Hi everyone, hope you are all having a lovely day.

I just returned from a DUB-LHR-JFK-PHX-LAX return tier point run and it was quite fabulous, so thank you very much for helping me with that earlier on.

I am planning to go to Victoria, Canada (YYJ) in November for a week. Played with the matrix for a bit and best I could come up with was 1640 ex DUB or AMS, but unfortunately those are not on BA or any OneWorld metal, so I need help (I'm LON based)

Does anyone have an idea up their sleeve for this? Any input highly appreciated.
YVR Is the nearest major gateway, with SEA a close second.
From Vancouver, there are flights or a very scenic ferry.
Direct flight from SEA on AS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.